“get the high tea for 2!”
Review of Clipper Merchant Tea House - CLOSED

Clipper Merchant Tea House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Redmond, Washington
“get the high tea for 2!”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

this place is really great - kind of random for Limerick, I mean there's not much around! I suppose if you came up from Portland for a day trip you could hit the toy shop aroun the corner, maybe pick some berries or apples at a nearby u-pick place. But there's not a lot going on. So I was glad to see that this place ha opened in the past couple of years. Now I can have delicious tea when I'm up visiting my family here :-)

My mom an I shared the London high tea and it was great - some nice finger sandwiches (cucumber and cherry tomato, egg sala which was GREAT - maybe it had some mango chutney in it or something?, chicken salad with cranberries on croissants, and strawberry and cream cheese I think) - it was a great combination. It's far more filling than it looked!

Strawberries dusted with sugar were scattered among all the other things, and there were warm blueberry and cream scones served with Scottish lemon curd and devon cream. And on the top there were some different desserts, but i actually liked the sandwiches and scones much better! Maybe I was just too full by that point :)

The tea selection is VAST - literally probably more than 100 teas to choose from, even things like hojicha (roasted green tea, my favorite) and lots of different flavored teas. I tried the darjeeling, which was great. They served us little samples of their lavender lemonade too, which was great - they sell a little package of organic lavender buds and the recipe so you can make it at home.

The place itself is full of stuff - antiques, old-looking new stuff, books books and more books, tea-related items for sale, and a vast collection of tea pots and tea cups and antique dishes. There's plenty to look at while you sit and enjoy your tea.

5 Thank stefohnee

Portland, Maine
“If you love high tea, you will love Clipper Merchant”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I went to the Clipper Merchant Tea House with a friend last fall--they close for the winter, but will open if you have a party of either 5 or 6 (not sure which) or more, which I thought was an interesting and unique thing for an establishment to do. We had reservations and I would highly recommend making them...Limerick is not exactly mainstream, so to get there and not be able to be seated would be disappointing. The tea house is in an antique home right on Main Street in Limerick...We got to choose which room we wanted to dine in...all are decorated in an antique English style with crystal chandeliers, gorgeous curtains, antique mismatched (adds to the shabby chic ambience) tables and chairs as well as china..all very elegant. There is even a glass-enclosed small porch area where you can sit if you choose. They have interesting sandwiches, but we opted for High Tea, which consisted of your choice of tea (many to choose from--you get a full pot each!)...many tea sandwiches...curried chicken was my favorite...and of course scones, patries, clotted cream, jam, and butter...served from a tri-level china dish. They start everyone off with a red pepper and cream cheese spread which was delicious...In fact, I bought a jar of the red pepper jelly (made locally) before I left...to make this delicious spread at home. They also served a complimentary fruity drink with the spread, which was lovely. Now that the weather is beautfiul, I know I will be venturing back to the Clipper Merchant Tea House...it was relaxing, delicious, and fun!

5 Thank BeeMelissa
limerick
“The Clipper Merchant welcomes both great and small.”
Reviewed February 5, 2008

An atmosphere of warmth and welcome greets customers on arrival at the Clipper Merchant Tea House. The house itself, a Victorian Gem at the top of Limerick's Main Street, is decorated with period pieces, in cozy rooms which give permission to sit and forget the race outside.
Heather and Gary Labbe, their daughter and staff do everything to make us welcome and comfortable. We return because as soon as Heather knows we have arrived she brews our tea, exactly the way we like it. She has done this every time I visit including when I have been a part of a larger party. The tea menu is all that one could want with delicious sandwiches including chicken salad on a croissant, and fresh baked scones served with lemon curd and Devon cream. The service is friendly and very accomodating. I took my two grandsons for tea recently. They are 3 and 5. Heather served them each with an individual tea pot so that they could pour and mix their tea as they like it and have learned from their 'English' Gran. When asked, the 5 year old said, no this was not a girly place and he had enjoyed himself. What higher praise could any teahouse want? We are regulars, and delighted to have such a good place for treats in our backyard.

4 Thank cawLimerick