“Beautifully decorated and food delicious” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Beautifully decorated and food delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

On a girls reunion in Shapleigh and we took a ride to Limerick. I drove by this restaurant many times, but never stopped in until now. I will definitely be back. It's not your typical tea house that you get mini sandwiches, although you can do that as well. You can order regular sized sandwiches, quiche, all different types of teas both cold and hot.......desserts to die for!

LOVED IT!!! They also serve mimosas and wine if you prefer.

• Visited June 2014

Raymond, New Hampshire
“Tea for Two”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

The atmosphere and experience were both lovely.
My husband and I opted for the Tower of London for Two, which was a great selection of food. There were three different tea sandwiches: chicken salad on croissant (great except for the sogginess imparted by the halved cherry tomato pinned cut-side down to the top of each sandwich), curried (I think) egg salad on wheat (good texture, not a lot of flavor), and open-faced dill cucumber rounds (my hands-down favorite). Each of us could have three of each sandwich. There was a small amount each of clotted cream and the best lemon curd I've had to go with two large, still warm scones. We received one each of raspberry peach and blueberry lavender. I'm not a fan of lavender, and I wish I'd thought to use the lemon curd on the lavender scone, to mask the flavor, as I advised my husband to on his half of it. I should mention, too, that we were treated to a complimentary cup of their famous lavender lemonade, and could have ordered more. For the top tier, we received two small brownie/chocolate cakes w/ chocolate frosting, two chocolate-glazed coconut macaroons, and two small squares of cheesecake, one berry-swirled, one plain. The chocolate frosting was overkill on a decent cake, and the cheesecake and macaroons were both good.
We each had one pot of tea. My husband chose Jamaican rum black tea and said he'd expected it to have more flavor. I chose the chai creme, which had great flavor. From the way my mouth tingled afterward, I'd say that it was definitely a chai with pepper in it, which I could have done without. Also, granted I'm particular about tea, but each tea has its prime steeping time and temperature, and it always bothers me when I'm presented with tea with the bag/ball/basket still in and no means of removing it, so the tea gets stronger or more bitter as it sits. That said, it was still a good pot of tea.
I did note that there was a dust-rag on the table next to us when we sat down, and I kept expecting them to figure it out, but even after they seated a party there, they didn't notice and remove it, and it took one of the women at the table finally pointing it out for it to be removed.
Our server was relatively new, and did have to run back to answer particular questions we asked her, but she was very friendly and helpful, and genuinely sorry not to have the answers right off.
The restroom was small and tidy, with lots of books that looked interesting enough that, if not for my germ issues, I would have loved to flip through.
Loose-leaf teas were available for purchase if one fell in love with any of them.

• Visited May 2014
Starkville, Mississippi
“Hidden Gem in York County”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went here with my grandmother, who was visiting from the Midwest. The lavender lemonade was excellent, and the food was good. The selection of tea was just right. I had the Jane Adams hot, and it's so fruity it would also be great iced. The scones were nice and hot out of the oven. They were more spongy, though, than flaky or crumbly, but still very good with the sweet cream and preserves. The ambience is a cross between regal and kitch, and the setting in the hills is sublime. It's at the edge of downtown Limerick, which isn't that big and makes for a pleasant starting place to explore.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vcw2002
Portland, Maine
“We LOVE it here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I have been to the teahouse twice and we really adore it. The atmosphere is everything my innocent Jane Austen loving heart could desire. We've had the Jane Austen blend tea both times and the high tea for two. The owner is so sweet and friendly our waitresses both times adorable in their top hats and very attentive. We live in Portland so it's a bit of a drive but absolutely worth it!

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Janet V
Acton, Maine
“From a Retired Tea Room owner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Now that our Garden Gate Luncheon and Tea Room in Acton, Maine has closed we have journeyed to The Clipper Merchant Tea House and been delighted. The owners are gracious; service and food highly commendable. We love the atmosphere of the older house and the charm that lingers on.

• Visited July 2012