“Not worth the price, creepy halls” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Lewiston Hotel & Conference Center

Ramada Lewiston Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lewiston
Redding, CA
“Not worth the price, creepy halls”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed on a Friday night, phoned ahead & didn't quibble about the price of $179.00 quoted, as we had driven all day to get around flooding & were really tired. Checked in & sent around the back to access our room. Expected Ramada to be really nice, but found long, dark, halls, smelling of cigarette smoke to get to our room. Room was OK, except for the bathroom. The toilet & tub/shower were simply claustrophobic. Tiny & low ceiling! Doors in the room had been painted over with "speckled" paint to cover the fact they had veneer ripped off. Room was clean, but they need to rip out those old dark brick walls in the rooms & hallways. Outdated! Glass doors going to the exterior (6 at least) could be accessed by anyone, didn't seem to be locked. I would not walk down those long dark halls alone at night by myself! When I phoned to see what time breakfast was, I was told it was not included as we had a "discounted rate". I guess the AAA rate was the $179.00, but I didn't consider $179 "discounted". We packed up & ate elsewhere. Would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

It's a tired facility. One bright note, the $5.90 breakfast buffet. Yes, it is not included in the room price, but it's cheap and of good quality, with actually hot buffet food. Another bright note, front desk staff on checkin was fine and efficient.

The rooms and interior halls have a early 70s feel to them. Something they use on the flower/plant beds beside the entrance doors smelled strongly and it kept reminding me of a manure smell...not pleasant. The floor beside my bed seemed vaguely damp last night on checking in. The cleaners today didn't clean up the used water glass beside the bed or empty the meltwater in the ice bucket. I wish they would do that and not leave it to me.

Bathroom was clean/spotless. Shower head is leaky up where the spray head screws into the pipe.

The bed was ok, this is no Marriott or other chain that prides itself on bedding. The pillows seem to be lumpy foam chunks but surprisingly they worked ok! (I had my doubts but slept well.)

All this for $100 a night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Lewiston hotels

Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

We had a nice stay at the Ramada Inn and Conference Center, in Lewiston, ME. It was a short trip of 2 nights in Lewiston. We were there seeing the Lewiston Maineiacs(hockey team). The hotel was very clean, but was very old. The decor would have been great in the late 80's, but not very up to date for 2011. The hallways were VERY dark. If a person stood at the other end with a white shirt on, you couldn't see them. The room was not small but was"compact". The sink was not in the bathroom and the bathroom was so small that the door hit the toilet seat when you closed it. We needed an extra cot and the maintenance brought it vey quickly. It was though, not very comfortable, me having slept on it. The pool/exercise area was beautiful. It was a huge pool for the size of the hotel. The restaurant that was in the hotel was not owned by the Ramada. It was a buffet for breakfast, lunch, and supper. The breakfast was very good. I think I have covered the major points. Just remember, don't expect the Hilton, and you will be happy. It's a lot better than the Super 8.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank deerislander772
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

The small family operated motel I usually stay in when visiting family in Lewiston was closed for vacation when I planned to visit, so I found the Ramada online for the same rate the other motel usually charged (~75/night midweek). This hotel is right off Exit 80 of the Maine Turnpike. Great location with easy on/off for anyone heading towards northern Maine or New Brunswick.

This hotel is definately older, but you can see that they've made great effort to make it comfortable and a little more modern without having to do major construction. I had a room with 2 queen beds, bench, recliner, desk & chair. I'd consider the size of the room to be average. Bathroom was TINY. As others said, the sink was outside of the bathroom (that's not new to me, i've seen it before), but the door to the bathroom apparently hits the toilet bowl sometimes (you can see a ridge in the door where it would hit). Shower was standard size shower, apparently newly renovated with a bathfitter type deal.

Hallways definately still look older and could use new carpeting. Pool area was a great surprise. Pool was 4ft-8ft, crystal clear and heated. Hot tub appeared clean, though could probably use a light scrub by the time I checked it out (9PM). Sauna was also nice, but small - 2 benches. I was very impressed with the condition of the pool area for the price I paid, the area I was in, and the general age of the hotel. Pool area hours are 7AM-11PM (this far exceeds many places I've stayed at).

The only thing that concerned me is that there are 4 numbered entrances to the hotel (aside from the front desk). The desk clerk told me it would be easier for me to drive around to door #3, park and unload there, rather than winding my way from the lobby. I expected to have to use my key to gain access to the building (it was after 8PM when I checked in), but apparently it is open 24/7. This gives anyone access to the hotel (from the back) without scrutiny.

I was on the first floor, but I think there may be 2 floors, but no elevator. If you have mobility issues, make sure you request a ground floor room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Somerville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

I booked this hotel through Hotwire and was not surprised or disappointed. The room was a little on the small side but comfortable enough. The staff was friendly and efficient. The only minus was the very over-the-hill DJ who started playing old songs for the even older crowd in the bar. The music radiated through the lobby, though not into the room areas. Pool looked nice and the jacuzzi was steaming. Lots of parking and easy onto I-95, the Maine Turnpike.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

My family and I were traveling to Maine to make a surprise visit to some relatives and found this hotel on line because it was very close to them but the surprise was on us when we got there. The room was so musty smelling, the curtains had mold growing on them and the carpet was so gross that we did not want to take our shoes off. We were trying to make the best of it but could not even bare to spend 1 hour in this room. We went to talk to the manager but there was none there at the time. They offered us another room but we declined. The owners of this Ramada Inn really need to take a look at this and at least bring it up to code a little better and maybe think about a huge overhaul. I have been to a lot of places and stayed at many different hotels but this had to be the worst by far.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

This is a very old hotel/motel that has been spray-painted top to bottom with the kind of thick spray paint that has little flecks in it to give it texture. Everything has been sprayed with it except the brick walls in the hallways and one brick wall in the guest rooms. I'm sure that the place looks a lot brighter now than it did at one time, but the wear and tear is still very obvious.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Bathroom was tiny and the door rubbed against the newly tiled floor. The tub surround was new, but the caulk was discolored. The walls, trim, and built-in cabinets were very old but spray painted to freshen them up a bit. Shower was nice with plenty of water pressure. The refrigerator was handy. Overall, we were satisfied with the room.

Hallways were old and dark. Kids thought it was a little scary. The pool was very nice and a little deeper than most. Hot tub wasn't well kept. The surrounding walls were moldy and the interior of the tub was stained as well. There was a pretty little outdoor area adjacent to the pool with lots of flowers, a well-kept lawn, and a large wooden "porch swing" that the kids enjoyed. Needed some WD-40 and some fresh paint though!

The lobby and front exterior looked fine. Exterior around the back was shabby. The hotel offers buffet meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Prices are incredibly cheap. We tried the buffet for breakfast and dinner. Both were fine, but nothing special. Good deal for the money though especially if you're traveling with kids. Our kids just loved the buffet...they didn't want to eat anywhere else!

Check-in and checkout were fine. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall, this hotel was ok and a little less expensive than some. I get the impression that they're trying the best they can, but they can only do so much with such an old facility. I might stay there again if I were back in Lewiston because there aren't too many choices in town, but on the other hand, I might just spend a little more money and stay in nearby Freeport instead.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Hampton Inn Lewiston-Auburn
Center Street Value Inn
Senator Inn & Spa
Senator Inn & Spa
#5 of 9 in Augusta

Been to Ramada Lewiston Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!