“Not one of the best”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lewiston
Boston
“Not one of the best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2007

I suppose I am used to staying in hotels that are....clean. I didn't feel like I could put bare feet on the floor or my head on the pillow -- nevermind the comforter. The room was decently sized and the TV worked, which to be honest, was more than I expected from walking into the lobby. It has a very old, "rustic" Maine look. Hotel breakfast was ok...nothing special. It was mass-produced buffet food.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Portola Valley, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2007

Researching Bates with our Daughter. Hotel was listed byBates as a place to stay, but was very dark and drab - don't think it has changes from the '60s. Pool and fitness room in a strange, plastic plant lined interior rom. Our daughter was shocked when she tried to use the tradmill - apparently an ungrounded hot wire made this device into a 'death trap'!. Next time, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Alburn. Much closer to Bates and in a beautiful location. More expensive, but worth it!!

• Liked — Low Cost
  • Disliked — Dark, worn out, old
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Lewiston hotels

MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

On a positive note, the staff was very friendly and helpful and everyone was really great to us. But as far as the negatives go.... well that's another story. As a note: I did not have just one room as an example but was with a good size party so had the opportunity to see 4 other rooms and everyone had the same complaints! The hotel was obviously run down with stains on tiles on the ceiling, big rust stains in the bathroom, missing bits and holes, and worn bits on the furniture and fixtures. The cleanliness was questionable when I found a CD between the bed and dresser and there were blood stains on the comforter that were even obvious to my son. Yikes! I was going to make tea in the coffee pot provided but had to scrape a layer of dust off the top and clean it myself before attempting. Unfortunately, when I actually looked inside the machine itself, it was so disgusting with built-up residue and who knows what, I gave up and put it back on the shelf. The whole room seemed dirty with obvious dust, mysterious hairs throughout the bathroom and sink area, dirty smudges on various things that I wouldn't touch or allow my son to go near. The showers were horrible! As soon as you heard the shower go on in the room beside you, suddenly your shower went freezing, and after turning the knob to full hot it became dueling showers that would alternate between scalding and freezing. I figured I would get up earlier the next day to avoid fighting over hot water with my neighbor, but still had the same problem with alternating freezing and scalding water. The riff raff seemed uncontrollable making loud noises and yelling while running between rooms at 1am--these were "adults" mind you. And even though it was a non-smoking facility, people were able to leave side doors to the hotel open and stand in the doorways smoking and letting it waft inside. There were empty beer cans and bottles around the indoor pool area, and the hot tub was so littered with empties my son attempted to step around them without causing an avalanche, but I stopped him from even getting in, since it looked so questionable. The buffet is cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for, with a multitude of frozen or "instant" food heated up for you. Overall, I would not stay here again, unless of course, I had no other choice -- like I was stranded in a snow storm.

• Liked — The staff was great
  • Disliked — VERY Dirty rooms, horrible freezing/scalding showers, noisey drunken riff raff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank StripeyS
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

Am writing this review from my room in this hotel- taking advantage of the ONLY good thing I can say about this place- the free and reliable WiFi.

This is not an Inn. It is not a hotel. It is a rundown, motel where they sealed-off the doorways and added carpet to the hallways to make it a 'hotel'. The brick walls, cement steps and long U shape are all still there. The rooms are very shabby, mine has a hole in the ceiling in the bathroom and peeling wallpaper. The heater was very loud, and kept me and my coworker in the next room, awake at times.

I asked for a wake-up call I never got (and was late to my meeting). The restaurant is a TOTAL joke- cheap, but absolutely inedible food. My room rate came with the free breakfast buffet (a $4 velue!) which meant I went there every morning and took an apple. It was awful! And the free coffee in the lobby tastes like mold. The in-room coffee was leaps and bound better, and I've always thought that stuff was the worst you could get.

I was told there was a gym, but it was literally one rickety
treadmill and two weight machines, both were out of order.

The only good thing I can say about this place is the front desk staff, who was very nice. Ahd the aforementioned Wifi.

I would asolutely never stay here again and would not recommend it unless as a last resort.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank mwgSF
Fredericton, NB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

I am in the hospitality business and was responsible for booking three rooms for the night of March 20th - whenever you are in charge of making arrangements for a group you know you will either get all the glory for picking a good hotel or all the blame for a bad choice. Happy to say I was basking in the glory after our night at the Ramada. All six of us had only great things to say about the hotel and the staff. During our weeklong trip to Boston we stayed in four different hotels and everyone agreed that the Ramada in Lewiston was the best hotel we had. Thank you to the staff for making me look good.

• Liked — Ease of checkin in and quality of room
  • Disliked — Would have liked a restaurant that offered more than buffett
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

Stayed here while dropping our son at Bates. Brick hallways are a little dark, but the hotel is clean and friendly. Pool, hot tub, & sauna were open late, which was great. Fridge in the room was a pleasant surprise. Didn't use the restaurant, so can't comment on that. (Bought lobsters around the corner and ate them in our room.) Convenient location. Would stay here again.

• Liked — Pool, hot tub, sauna
  • Disliked — Brick hallways
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2006

This hotel has potential, but its western 70's dark decor needs a face lift. We stayed in the executive studio, so I can imagine the rest of the hotel may have needed even more attention. Side-entries not secure.
Clean and quiet, but desparate for some updates.
The restaurant needs to hire a chef...the buffet gets old when staying for several days in a row.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Hampton Inn Lewiston-Auburn
Center Street Value Inn
Hampton Inn Oxford
Hampton Inn Oxford
#1 of 1 in Oxford

Been to Ramada Lewiston Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!