“Way overpriced for the quality of food.”
Review of Fuel Restaurant

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main (202)
Augusta, Maine, United States
“Way overpriced for the quality of food.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I went here for our 22nd wedding anniversary. First off let me say the service is wonderful. We had Shannon, ask for her. We also ordered the Chef's Tasting $40 each with wine pairing $18 each. Not sure if it was because we went on a Friday night and it was very busy but the chef didn't make anything special for us just gave us things off the menu. My favorite was the appetizer (posted picture here) Burrata Plate. If you are a cheese lover, and like vinegar this is great, my husband is not so he did not like this plate. The second course Mercredi (picture posted here) need salt very bland but tender. It was just ok. Third course Balsamic Braised Pork Shank.(picture posted here). This is suppose to be the chefs house specialty. Stay away from this dish. It was inedible. The pork was so dry and hard, we were able to take a few bites but then even the taste was bad. It was almost like it had been made the day before and reheated. Last course dessert. Chocolate Guiness Cake. I am not a chocolate lover so this was not for me, but my husband is and he thought it was good. We also did the wine pairing and I will say they did match each course very well. They serve you about 2oz per glass. We love wine so 3oz probably would have been a bit better and for the price. After our tip we paid $166.00. This is a lot of money for the quality of food. The atmosphere is nice, and the service is great. But if you're a bit of a foodie like we are then this is not the place to go. It was a let down.

1 Thank Jody D
Eric A, Owner at Fuel Restaurant, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Jody,

This is Eric Agren, the owner of Fuel Restaurant. I would like to respond to your review about Fuel.

First off, I absolutely take full responsibility for your poor experience. That lies 100% on my shoulders. I am extremely involved in the food, the service, and everything else in my restaurant.

Online reviews are very important to our business, and I respect them, as well as your opinion. They give credibility what we do, both good and bad. So thank you for taking the time to write about us.

After reviewing with my Executive Chef, I have a couple of comments. All of your dishes that were served that evening were not on our regular menu.

Thank you for your comments on the Burrata plate, I am glad you enjoyed it.

The second course was a riff on veal scallopini. We had just received veal that day and made that dish for your tasting. It was not on our menu.

There may have been confusion on the main course. The course in your picture (thank you for taking that, it certainly clarified it for me), was braised lamb osso bucco served over Israeli cous cous, with red wine reduction and rhubarb yogurt sauce. I am sorry to hear that it was tough. That is most certainly a kitchen error, and it will be addressed.

The dessert course was the closest item to something we serve from our regular dessert menu. We served a combination of our Guinness cake topped with our chocolate terrine, with whipped cream, macerated strawberries, and creme anglaise.

As for the wine, I could not agree more. Those servings should be 4oz., and you were shortchanged. No question about it. We serve 6 oz. for a regular wine pour, and slightly reduce to 4 for our tastings. I am having a meeting with my bartender today to address. That should not have happened, and in fact it is the first time I have heard about it happening.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review Fuel. Good or bad, they certainly can help us know we are doing the right thing, or that we need to improve. Our job is to listen and make changes that matter.

Eric Agren
Fuel Restaurant

Poland
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband & I went to Fuel for the first time over a year ago. My pork dish was supposed to be "fall off the bone" tender. It was not. Also it was difficult to eat because it was too dark to see what I was doing. However the veggies were very good. My husband was mildly satisfied with his dish but certainly not thrilled. I hope this was just an off night, but I doubt we will return to Fuel. Service was fine.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank poos
“Fantastic”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Fuel countless times and each time it is perfect. They never fail to impress out of state guests, or any other guests we bring! The dining experience is worth a drive to Lewiston and then some.

• Visited April 2013
“A modernist gem on an empty street”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I've been to fuel twice and certainly am not a French food expert. But my pork shank was tasty, the beet salad superb and martini well crafted. It's nice for a date or group of Friends. I also felt good after my meal, like the ingredients were well prepared and not overly fattified. It is pricey with drinks.

Bethel Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I dined here for a second time on my birthday. Our appetizers, Entrees, Wine, Dessert were excellent. The Hostess was very pleasant and accomodating. Our waitress was very attentive and let us enjoy each course. Hopefully we will return soon.