“I would stay again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lebanon
Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping
Hartland, Vermont
“I would stay again”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We reserved our site for an off season weekend and were a little nervous due to the reviews I read. I thought that though it does need some updates, for the most part it was good. Our site was wooded and we had plenty of privacy, even if someone had stayed next to us, they would have been far enough away and the trees between us would have been fine. My son loved the water slide and the pool was clean. The movie idea is awesome and we had no problems with the owners or the staff....though it was a slow weekend. I think with a campground that big, in the midst of summer, it is going to be tough to make EVERYONE happy. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank huntersmum

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Salem, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Gave this place another chance since last year,which was bad,but figured it just may have been those staff members then.This year,it was even worse. But this time it was the owner himself and the staff that was related to him that were rude,uncaring and made us feel like we were unwelcome.They claim to be caring in their ad but it truly is the furthest thing from the truth.Speaking to other campers there it's no wonder why there were som many empty spots on a popular weekend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank roberthynes
Williamstown, Vermont
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Our first night at the campground, my family and I headed out for a nice dinner. Just before arriving at the restaurant we got a call from the campground saying a tree landed on our site and put a hole in our tent. We had just purchased the tent, this was the first time we had used it. There was no concern from the campground what so ever. When we had arrived there was a 3' DEAD branch sticking out of the top of our ten. There was a gentleman there from security to show us what happened. My girls air mattress was completely soaked along with all the bedding and pillows. My husband ran up to the store to purchase a tarp and rope. We put up the tarp over the tent with rope ourselves and strung out extra rope to hang the soaking wet bedding. The next day word had gotten around the campground what had happened. Most campers I spoke to agreed that we should be refunded some money. Later on that day the "owner" I say it was the "owner" only because I recognized him from the picture on the brochure we received, never instroduced himself. Said "so your the ones that had the stick go through your tent"? Refused to look at the hole, wanted to know what "stick" caused the damage. When we showed it to him, it was basically "oh, Okay" and he walked off. I just stood there shocked that he didn't seem concerned at all. The hole is not repairable. In fact when folding the tent up to leave we found another hole in the rain fly.
All my husband and I were looking for was "I'm so sorry about what happened, is there anything we can do", "Do you need an extra tarp?", "Do you need help with the tarp?", Do you need to use the dryers (even though the laundry mat is closed for the night?", "Please let us know if you need anything".........We were offered nothing in returned from what had happened. There was one gentleman, I believe who's name is Ryan (from security), who did check up on us the following night when there was supposed to be another storm.

The rest of the week turned out to be better, although we spent very little time or money at the campground after Monday night. The girls wanted to play miniture golf but it cost $3 a person on a course from 1970 that has been paid for 10x over.

We didn't bring our own tubes for the river, thought you could rent them. No those cost $15.

We also found out that there are many sites on the West side that are infested with poison ivy. There are no warning signs to be found. We met some very nice people with young children and a dog, that were assigned one of these sites with a path to the river, totally full of poison ivy. When something was said to the staff members they had no concern and basically said "that is what comes with camping in the woods".

The bathrooms were clean, although the soap pumps are way to high for children and they really need to replace the hand dryers or purchase towels.

Oh yeah, hire a tree service to come in a remove all the dead limbs off the trees

If you are looking for friendly, responsible owners I would not recommend this campground.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mac72olds
FlatRockBridge, Owner at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
This was an unfortunate time. What this person does not mention is that we had an unexpected severe thunderstorm with straight line winds over 60mph. Never seen anything like this before or since. It lasted only a few minutes, but caused much damage. 8 or 10 large healthy trees came down, and there was a girl injured on the site across from them (seen on many TV news reports) and while a small tear in a tent was a huge inconvenience, it paled in comparison to the young girl who almost lost her life. Thankfully things turned out OK for her, but if we were distracted with her well being (it was a critical situation for over a week), collecting and cleaning up that families belongings, coordinating a fundraiser for that family, along with speaking with the many TV camera crews who were on hand (including during the time I visited his site), and the many trees we had to clean up, we do apologize. We initially called them to let them know about the tent, had a security staff member on hand to be sure they were all set (they did not ask him for anything), and never heard from them again. Had they asked, we certainly would have at least provided a tarp.
Sandwich, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Place is nothing like website pictures. Although clean...park is pretty old. Staff is indifferent. If you don't have children, there is absolutely nothing to do. Pond is stagnant water from non moving river. Pool located next to dump station. Not pet friendly. Not much to do in the area. BORING!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank racechick62
Derry, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We visted there Sunday July 25th 2010, with my grandchildren and family who were camping there, and it cost us 20.00 dollars to visit spend a half a day and ten dollars to park our car with them. Staff is very rude, The arcade machines grab the ten dollar bills and only give the players two games where it should be ten, and then are told that they cannot get the rest of there money back,the person that is in charge of the machines is not there and have your parents give it to you!! We stayed for supper with them and ran a little late on that, and actually had security come down to the campsite and asked us to leave! We were supposed to check out at 8 and it was 8: 08 when they came down. So therefore, we were to late to get the ten dollars back for parking, which is what their policy says. REALLY? I was expecting the handcuffs to come out and be escorted out!! Eight minutes late? In what country am I living? I thought it was the USA, but obviously no one informed these owners about that!! We had a great visit with my family and grandkids, but this campground? leaves something to be desired!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank nofltrok4me
Maine
Reviewed August 21, 2009

This was our first time attending Flat Rock and we were very dissapointed. The staff did not enforce quiet hours and it was very loud. There was also mold in the shower stalls and the arcade machines ate my daughters money.....when she told the staff they said that was the chance you take. The pools, especially the one by the water slide was FILTHY!!!!!! Consequently my children became ill.....when we called to let them know, we were again told that was the risk we take. I don't know about you but my families health is not worth the risk and had I know I would have saved myself the money and not gone there. I would highly recomend you find someplace else to camp.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank mommacarr
biddeford
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This was our third year and we came during the week on a Tuesday and left Thursday, the campground was dead and once we got there we were told in no uncertain terms we had too many kids, nowhere on the paperwork we received did it say anything other than the rustic cabin can accomodate six but we read that extra kids cost extra. We were willing to do that and they said it was not possible, they would rent us a second cabin full price or a tent site away from us where we could not see the children. My husband drove all the way home to get a tent. No one checked to see if any kids slept in that tent and they didnt. So it was not about safety as we saw plenty of security. We spent an extra 100.00 to pitch a tarp that no one checked. We didnt even put up a tent. And it was pouring the entire time and there was the lone tarp on its own site with no one there. And someone stole that before we left and we reported it and nothing was done. This was my daughters birthday camping trip and she always loved it here. We will never come back as they couldnt even meet us halfway. We paid almost 300.00 dollars for two nights and you cant check in until 3 and have to get out before noon.

If the owner would have even been polite about it we could have understood but when she said it wasnt about money and there was nothing she could do and then no one checked we knew where there priorities lied. They made us feel like we were doing something sneaky and they made the kids feel horrible.

• Disliked — There was a missing smoke detector. The bed was hard. You are right on top of the other cabins
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank shaun8082
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester
Moody Beach RV Campground
The Governor's Inn
The Governor's Inn
#1 of 3 in Rochester

Been to Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping? Share your experiences!