“Oversold, Needs Improvement!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lebanon
Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping
Massachusetts, United States
“Oversold, Needs Improvement!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We spent the weekend here with another family. Positive items, check in staff were pleasant and easy to work with, the pool with the water slide and the hot tub is nice, looks new, the bathrooms were clean, and the quiet time worked as the campground quieted down at 11pm. On the negative side, the pool was very, very crowded most of the time. The line to the water slide was 30 minutes at times. Most buildings on the property need a paint job or in need of maintenance (i.e. half the ceiling lights were out in the arcade). The electrical and water at our site was not located near the sewer hookup, so I needed to purchase an extension cable and additional hose - not well placed for having been installed fairly recently. The roads are thoroughly pot holed and in need of repair. The river was slow moving, poorly accessible (had to climb down a large muddy embankment), no signs of any kind, and turned out to be a lack luster ride - was oversold. The campground has a huge amounts of sites which translated to lots and lots of people in the pool, at the movies, etc - very crowded. Most areas are run by teenagers who are not that enthusiastic. Several times I saw the owner sitting in a chair and shooting the breeze with staff. I thought, with all the maintenance that needs to be done, man is he just sitting around. At other campgrounds the owner/manager is usually focused and busy working. It is described as a resort, but really should not be.

We have been to KOA campgrounds this large that are just in much, much better shape and run more like a real business.

In summary, crowded, oversold, and needs improvement - we will no be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank GGvaca1964
FlatRockBridge, Owner at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I thank this reviewer for the honesty in their review. Our bathrooms are kept clean, our pools are nice, and our quiet time is enforced and works well. Despite their concerns in other areas, they were honest. I am not sure which site they stayed on, nor who they are, so it is hard to comment on the location of utilities. The river was a little low this past weekend, but with a lack of rain lately, that is not in our control. It is a real river. In June, it was a very quick trip when we had had lots of rain. Our staff is made up of many teenagers as a seasonal summer job, but we also get many compliments on our staff, so perhaps different people just have different expectations. I think when a campground includes the word "resort" in their title, it does cause some folks to expect more. While we have not removed any amenities or cut back on anything at all, we did remove the word "resort" from our title this year (haven't been able to on this and a few other web sites however). We are a campground where folks come and have lots of fun. No paved roads, no concierge service, no pool side bar. Just a fun place for kids and families to enjoy their time. In terms of me, the owner, sitting and talking with staff . . . you really have no idea how many hours I work each day or what I was even doing talking with the staff. If I don't talk to staff and guests I am called rude, if I do I am called lazy. It is a tough spot I am in. I am sorry we let you down, and hope that you find a resort campground that better meets your expectations.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rockport, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We returned yesterday from a weekend camping trip to Flat Rock Bridge Campground. This was our 26th year in a row making at least one weekend trip to this campground. We have been through ownership changes during this time and each one of them brings a different look and feel to the campground. While I think the current owners have done a decent job of cleaning the place up, I must say that our stay this past weekend had more thumbs down experiences than thumbs. Let me share some of the negative so that weekenders know what to expect. You will certainly be asked to stop talking, stop enjoying yourself and likely be forced to dowse your fire if you are making even the slightest peep after 11 pm. I fully appreciate the 11 pm to 7 am quiet time rule IF and this is a big IF, it is fairly enforced. The site right next to us, a seasonal site that is, was up until about 3 am, dropping audible "F" bombs and making more noise than we ever were, yet we had to put out our fire and retire for the night while they kept on partying. Not appropriate for the money one pays for a weekend site. Also, no more hayrides. No more Saturday dances. The bathrooms were absolutely gross with crap, yes crap all over many of the toilets and enough mis-aimed urine to sink a small ship. Not the staff's fault but for God's sake, get in there and keep them clean, especially when you are busy. Final straw for us upon depature. Tradition is to take the money from the key card and swing by the store for a final ice cream for the ride home. One girl working, Sunday morning check out time, crowds trying to get through the register and it took about 20 minutes to make and buy 4 cones. Really, spend the money and add a second person, Look at the rates and break some of it off.,

Bottom line, not sure we will be back. I know that our family that was with us, about 20 of us, has no desire to go back. If we do, it will be only to keep a tradition alive trust me!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Tom P
FlatRockBridge, General Manager at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
It is always interesting to see a large group that is told to quiet down at night, always finds multiple other issues to include in their reviews. They are always seemingly singled out while the rest of the campground is "partying." If you read the other reviews from this summer, we are getting high marks on the cleanliness of our bathrooms, the fun folks are having and how quiet time is working great, including the negative review just a few above this one. This group obviously is just upset that they could not sit up until 3am partying, and decided to bash us in other areas as well. Our quiet time is not a secret (especially to a group that has been coming for 25 years) as it is on our web site in several places, including the tag line on our home page: "Fun Filled Days and Quiet Nights." As families grow and their children get older, perhaps the way they enjoy themselves at night also changes. Thankfully there are many different options for vacation spots, and there are ones that will fill every families needs. We are what we are, and we are quiet nights.
Dracut,MA
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was our first time camping. Ever. We stayed in the rental trailer . We loved every second of our week long vacation. Every single staff member especially the teenage camp staff were very polite and very helpful. It was surprsing to me just how attentive all of them were with the children. You can tell they all love working there. So many activities day and night for the children to do ( I have a 10 and 8 year old). I never once heard them complain that they were bored. So much to do, we never were able to fit it in our " busy" camp schedule! Two very nice pools that were clean and well maintained. One pool has a water slide that was a ton of fun!. Everything was very well maintained, bathrooms always clean. At night it was super quiet, no rowdiness which was nice. I highly recommend if you have children and you haven't camped here, you need to . We fell in love with the campground and will now be seasonal there next year. I truly can't say enough what a fantastic vacation this was!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank joalteeth
FlatRockBridge, General Manager at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thanks for your honest review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and have plans to stay with us even more in the future. Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy the Flat Rock experience. Thanks again for your kind words. They are very encouraging.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed for a weekend with about 20 family members (5 sites and 1 cabin). the sites are dirtyand covered in ant hills. 11 oclock quiet time is stupid, mind you the only rule they enforce. To be told by a teenager you have to put tour fire out because you are loud is rediculous while sites all around you are just as loud if not more than you! It's crap!!! Have been coming here for 25 years, will be looking for a new place to camp, will never be back.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank sarrahhq
This is part of the same group as the "end of an era" review above. Again, obviously upset they were not allowed to be up until 3am "partying," so they have taken the road of bashing us for enforcing the rule that we are very up front with. We have enforced this rule for the entire 9 summers we have been here, and will continue to do so. If this group has been coming for 25 years, they know this. They know we have removed over 100 sites to spread folks out and have less folks on the grounds, just so things are little more peaceful. We are nor doing anything differently, but their family is 25 years older now, and must have a different idea of how to enjoy their nights camping. "Fun Filled Days & Quiet Nights" is who we are, and the hundreds of families who camp with us each week and come back over and over again appreciate this.
Rochester, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We spent the weekend here with 5 other families. The campground was very accommodating and we were all able to have sites near each other. The staff were all extremely friendly and seemed to enjoy their job. Our sites were large and pretty private. The campground was clean.

There were many scheduled activities to choose. We stayed busy all weekend and didn't even get to do everything. I will say that the children's activities were popular and got a little chaotic with so many children. It was Christmas in July and there were some games set up near the line for Santa. I was a little disappointed when my 6 year old won a game and received a piece of candy, but when my 2 year old didn't win, she wasn't given a piece. I understand the concept of a prize, but she is only 2 and it was a small piece of candy. I felt that was a little stingy.

The kids loved the pool and waterslide. The staff there was attentive. I would recommend, however, that the campground invest in some sort of traction for the ramp to the waterslide. The wood gets very slippery when wet.

The security staff at night was by no means harassing. I don't understand the other reviews. We were admittedly reminded twice to keep it down (adults from 6 sites around a fire can get loud!) but they were never rude and we were being louder than we should have for midnight.

I will definitely consider coming back here next year and will probably be bringing even more families along!

2 Thank AmyCoombs
Saugus, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have been going to this campground for 8 years, and in that time I have seen many improvements. New pool, slide, and petal cars. The owners are great[ have got to know them well]. I have read some of the post and can't believe some of what I read. I work at night, so am up all night fire going, never been told to put out. Yes I have been told to keep it down, but only cause I was loud. Never in my time have thing been out of place, bathroom always clean, pool and grounds. I don't know what some people are looking for when they go camping, but seam to me to be to much. My first time, we didn't get the sight we liked, but stayed and walk thru the park to find one we like, and have been on that sight since, all we do is ask for it a time of reservation. I don't understand why people come on this sight and bad mouth the campground for there own trouble. If this is not what you like, stay at a hotel, or talk to the staff, never had a bad time, can't wait to return. I tell everyone I talk to, stay at Flat Rock, best time. I plan to keep coming back, might even by a seasonal up there. See you soon John and Mary, looking forward to another great visit

1 Thank bostonoutlaw
FlatRockBridge, General Manager at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
It is always a pleasure seeing you guys. Thanks so much for taking the time to share here. We do appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again real soon.
Raymond, Maine, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Flat Rock Bridge Campground for this Fourth of July weekend...It was our first time ever in the campground. We were greeted by extremely friendly staff and great campers! The amenities were great and the park had something for everyone! Can't wait to go back for our next stay and planning to go again next 4th of July! Staff was phenomenal and extremely accommodating! LOVE LOVE LOVE !!!!!! The Martin's from Raymond, Maine.

1 Thank Dianna M
Thanks for your comments and we are so very glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Fourth of July was busy, very busy, and very humid, and through it all, it was a great weekend. Thanks for taking the time to share. We really do appreciate it, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
Moody Beach RV Campground

Been to Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping? Share your experiences!