Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping
$139
Homewood
Palmers Motel(Sanbornville)
  • Pool
All reviewsmini golfflat rockhalloween weekfresh coat of painttrick or treatingpool partygreat family campgroundbasketball courtnice campgroundorganized sportspoolstubingtadpoleshuntsvolleyball
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have visited several campgrounds in the area recently. Flat Rock Bridge is clearly better than most. The store and snack bar are well stocked. Two heated pools. Lots of activities on the schedule - even weekdays. For the most part the grounds were in good condition. Staff was very friendly. The owners have put a great deal of effort and money into making improvements. It is obvious how much they care about their guests and the quality of their guests stay - if they continue on this path this will be one of the nicest campgrounds in the ME/NH/MA area. If you have a family with kids this is the place for you.

The one suggestion I would make is that the owners should try to work with local broadband providers to get more/affordable internet coverage throughout the park. I know that you should leave the internet and tv behind when you go camping but I am one of those people who cannot be without an internet connection due to work on-call requirements.

Room Tip: The east side of the campground is rustic and wooded. The North side has many open sites. I didn't visit the west or south side of the campground.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
FlatRockBridge, General Manager at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thanks so much for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and noticed the work we are doing. We do have the free wifi hotspot at and around our store area, but it sounds like you are looking for more than that. We have looked into expanding the wifi connection, but it is very difficult in a wooded campground (trees block the signal), and would require a huge number of repeaters to accomplish good quality signal throughout the park. We continue to inquire at trade shows, but have not found an affordable way to do this. If you know of another solution, we are always glad to listen. Thanks again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This place seems like a place that was nice at some time in the past. It has not been well maintained. I'm not sure that there is a level site in the place. I laughed when I saw the pond they call a swimming pond with tall grass all growing on what was once a sandy beach. I booked a site months in advance only to get there and find that the site they booked me on was up a road that was so narrow that you had to drive through the branches from the overgrowth while climbing a hill with all kinds of large rocks sticking out of the road. They then changed me to a different site. My site and the ones around it had all kinds of trash on it. Plus tall weeds and large branches. I had to avoid the stumps that were right in the middle of where you would park the camper when pulling in. The site was previously a seasonal who had hard piped the sewer pipe and then just cut it with a saw when they left leaving a horizontal stub for me to try to hook my sewer pipe to. Needless to say it definitely leaked when dumping. The roads flooded from the rain in obvious low spots due to lack of maintenance. You could see remnants of gravel on the roads that hasn't been refreshed in years. There was a lot of mud holes all over the roads. A lot of sites were right on top of the other, A lot of the seasonal campers are run down looking. It doesn't seem like the owners/management know what they are doing. The place has a lot of amenities that sound great on the website, but when you get there you realize how run down everything is. At one time it might have been a great place, but I wouldn't let the advertising draw you in to this place. You will be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
FlatRockBridge, General Manager at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

I am very surprised by this review. 2013 is a year when we have paved both entry ways, remodeled our Office, have laid 21,000 square feet of new sod to make a brand new ball field, installed a brand new liner in the larger of our two heated pools (the other is gunite and only 4 years old), constructed a new dog park, and are in the process of remodeling four of our cabins. We have been busy, and have had nothing but complements from all of our guests. After a long winter where we saw snow still on the ground late into April, do we have a few projects still underway? Were there still some leaves to get picked up? Yes. Is that any reason to say we do not know what we are doing? In fact, prior to this guest driving up the road with the hill, we stopped him at check-in and had him switch sites, to avoid his frustration on that road. A new office girl did make a mistake by putting him on that site, but we fixed it at check-in. Also, after a review last year here on TripAdvisor where a person commented on the former swimming pond, we changed it into a fishing pond. Most people are extremely pleased with this change and are enjoying watching the kids catching frogs, feeding the ducks, and being able to throw a line in the water for the first time. A shame this reviewer didn't check out the new site map and literature we handed him at check-in. Perhaps he missed out on other fun stuff we offered. Despite the cold rain on Memorial Day Weekend, most of our guests enjoyed both of our heated pools (each at 80 degrees), the many activities we offered each day (both indoors and out), along with the entertainment each night. We even allowed everyone to stay late on Monday, free of charge, when the sun finally came out, just so they could have some time in the warm weather before heading home. Finally, I am again confused, now at his comment about our seasonal guests. We have strict guidelines on age of trailers and appearance of sites. Because of this, our seasonals all have newer trailers, and many have added professionally constructed decks and screenrooms. We do not allow fences, sheds or other wooden structures to avoid things looking shabby. Perhaps a few had not yet checked in by Memorial Day weekend (it was cold and rainy and even snowed just a little ways north of us), but because of a few leaves on their sites or having not yet uncovered a grill, to say they are run down is just unfair. We do appreciate constructive criticism, and get many ideas for improvements from this and other review sites. Thanks for your review, and the opportunity to tell folks about our campground.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed August 23 - 26, 2012. We had a bit of a difficult time locating our site but one of the staff made sure we found it. The site we had was great ! We were on the side of the store/cafe. Our grandson even tried fishing for the first time. It appears the pond is more for the kids to catch frogs, etc. The kids in the area all just loved it. It was an easy way for them to break the ice and make friends. When I called I was told by staff that they don't recommend swimming in the pond. The pools were both very clean. We did see teenagers in the hot tub on our side once the staff left their post for the day. I was told that the staff hours had increased due to that. I was glad to see they were on top of things. The store items were reasonably priced. We loved the family soft ball games every night. The side we were on was very roomy and quiet at night. We loved the carnival the last night of our stay. My husband tied for 1st place in the blueberry pie eating contest. Our grandson was very excited about that and something he will always remember.The only things we did see that we didn't quite understand was the lack of soap and paper towels to dry your hands with at the bathroom near the pool on the pond side. This is an older campground but you can see that the owners are trying to improve it. The mini golf area needs attention but I'm sure it will be taken care of in the future. We will definitely return again sometime. I almost forgot about the water slide....that was a big hit.

2  Thank PAS1940
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family and I love to camp and we try to get at least 2 camping trips in the summer, usually trying different campgrounds each time. This year we opted for a campsite closer to home and from the website description, Flat Rock Bridge Family Campgrounds sounded like the ideal campsite location for our family. What a disappointing camping experience! From the creepy ‘noise’ enforcers, where whispers were even considered too loud (yet, we were camping next to a road with noisy bikers at all hours of the day and night!), to dirty bathrooms and showers, a murky looking pool (we didn’t let our kids swim one day because of this), to a constant barrage of interruptions from management regarding quiet hours, putting out the fire at 11pm (yet there were other campsites with fires going on at the same time!!), requests to turn down the music during the day (yet it was not playing loud)…it was just relentless, this nagging, badgering and absurd ‘enforcement’ of ridiculous ‘rules’ from management all weekend! We couldn’t wait to leave and get home and write a review! We would not advise anyone to visit this campsite, it’s not worth the pestering and harassment by management. What we thought was going to be a relaxing camping experience turned out to be a torturous and tormenting experience instead! We obviously have no intention of ever going back. Definitely two thumbs down for these campgrounds!

13  Thank Wabz G
FlatRockBridge, Owner at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

We had problems with one large group over Labor Day Weekend. They were ultimately removed by the Sheriff Dept at 2:00pm on Monday, 2 hours after scheduled check-out time. They now are posting multiple reviews. The name on this review is surprisingly similar to the previous review, and was even posted on the same day. Aside from this group, Labor Day Weekend was a great weekend with clean pools, great activities, and lots of family fun.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I wish I had read the reviews on this site before going to Flat Rock Bridge campground, otherwise I would never had stepped foot in this dump.
The negative reviews on this site tell the truth about this place.
I have camped in many different campgrounds around New England and this is by far the worst, poorly maintained, filthy stinky toilets and some of the employees are very unprofessional.
The pictures on their website show a different place from reality, they are to say the least deceiving. We were so disappointed from the minute we arrived. The campsites are cramped together like slices of bread on a very narrow path….and YES!!…all those reviews about creepy security guards are true…..not once but many times the security guards kept creeping in on us ….sometimes they would be hiding in the bushes listening in on our private family conversations.
Please take the advice from the many others, stay far away from Flat Rock Bridge and take your family elsewhere, where they’ll feel welcomed and get the great value of camping that they deserve.

13  Thank Mat H

We had problems with one large group over Labor Day Weekend. They were ultimately removed by the Sheriff Dept at 2:00pm on Monday, 2 hours after scheduled check-out time. They now are posting multiple reviews. Aside from this group, Labor Day Weekend was a great weekend with clean pools, great activities, and lots of family fun.