“They care about what is important!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lebanon
Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
“They care about what is important!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have been camping with our two sons for the last 6 years and have not enjoyed a camping experience as much as we have this one in a very long time. So many times we go to campgrounds that are "impeccable" and cater themselves to the Woodall’s and find that they don't care so much about their patrons or providing for the children that camp there. This campground gets it right, balancing the facility’s needs with providing a staff that provide fun activities for your kids.
As far as newness...it is not the most impressive campground we have been to. But when it comes down to it, I would rather an old bathroom that works properly and is kept clean by people that care about those that camp there than a new bathroom and no opportunity for my kids to interact with other campers and participate in activities.
We felt like not only customers, but guests of John and Mary, the owners, who have owned the campground for the past nine years and yearly do what they can to improve it while still maintaining the family oriented nature of the campground. There are no deficiencies in the function of the facilities, and only glowing reviews of the staff and the activity schedule. We extended our stay on this, our fist trip here, and plan to book here again next year.

4 Thank Ken B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
North Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 23, 2012

It had been 25 years since my last visit to FRB formally Kings and Queens Campground. As a child I had many great weeks there. I was excited to visit once again this time with my own family and friends. As avid campers we visit many different family campgrounds in NE. When I pulled in I was mortified. It looks as though nothing has been upgraded in the past 25 years. Here is the good and the bad starting with the good. The employees were very nice, the pools were clean (although the west pool needs some minor upgrades), the campground store is large and has a nice food/ice-cream area, and the staff cleans the b-rooms 2x a day, and the sites are large. It was also nice to have the craft barn open all day for the kids. Here is the bad. Bathrooms need major upgrades, campsites although large, flood terribly when it rains, 30 amp outlets did not work in mine or my friend’s campsite. Every building on the grounds needs some work... they are all rotting out. Baseball field is all overgrown with weeds, miniature golf course is an absolute mess (and you are charged to use it), arcade is OK but many games are not useable. Dumpsters are right in the walking path and were only emptied once in the week we spent there. It seems like the place has a major caterpillar problem as they were falling all over the place along with the pine pitch from the trees. (I know its camping but it was a real problem). Sorry FRB…the place needs some work! Lots of potential though! There is many other campgrounds in NE that are similar in price and much nicer.

6 Thank Chad O
FlatRockBridge, Owner at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
It seems that in its day, Kings & Queens had quite a cult following. Unfortunately, by the time we purchased the property, the lack of upkeep from previous owners had taken its toll. We have had to replace electric in three large sections of the park with two more that still need to be done. K&Q only had 20amp electric throughout the entire campground, we now have 30 and 50amp electric in those three sections. We have had to replace a pool and re-configure the water slide because of outdated systems. We have replaced every hot water heater in every bath house and home on the property, replaced the washers in the laundry, added many new features such as the ticket redemption games in the arcade (which all work or are repaired by the company who owns them within a day of any malfunction), pedal carts, new hot tubs, movie house, and more. Had you been here ten years ago, you would have seen these improvements we have made over the past 8 seasons. Are we done? Absolutely not. A campground is a project that is never done, and we will always be working hard to make our "to do" list smaller each year. A shame previous owners didn't understand this.
Is this Kings & Queens? Absolutely not. We have also made many changes in policies and entertainment which we feel creates a much more family friendly environment. Unfortunately, many folks who enjoyed the Kings & Queens days do not appreciate these changes, and are very passionate about their disapproval. We are trying very hard to have a fun, family campground. We just hope that the folks who appreciate our efforts continue to tell their family and friends so that we can continue to provide them with a quality camping experience while we continually work toward improving our facilities.
cape cod
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Thank you FRB for creating memories that will last forever. I recently spent 3 nights and 4 days here with my 3 boys ages 6,9, and 11. We had a blast of a time. Everyday and night was filled with activities that were fun for us all. This is the perfect place to bring kids . If you are looking for a campground to party/ drink booze..... go somewhere else. If you are looking for a safe place to spend time with your kids..... this is the place to be. Staff is super friendly and helpful. Security made me feel that my kids were safe at all times here. My one and only complaint is that the bathrooms did not have urinals short enough for my little guy and the sink faucets were not reachable for him. I will recommend FRB to anyone looking to have a great time with their kids.

Room Tip: I stayed in a rustic cabin "C". Spotless clean and very comfortable. The AC was very "...
3 Thank Gary S
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We've been coming to Flat Rock for 3 years now. We have tried some other campgrounds around New England, but we will only come back here from now on. I like the size of the grounds. My 3 kids love to go off on their bikes and I know I will always be able to find them. The staff run activities are awesome. Perfect for parents who want to relax, and kids who don't want to hang with their parents! I appreciated the quiet hours being enforced. If you want to drink and party until the wee hours of the morning, this is not the place for you. It is a FAMILY resort, catering to people with children.
I will say that there are a few things that could be upgraded. Mini golf could be renovated or at least free! Some of the bathrooms need to be remodeled. I also wish the beach was a little more, well, beachy. It sure could use some more sand! But I know the owners have slowly made improvements to the grounds, and I hope that will continue.
I must admit, a few years ago, my idea of camping, was a motel with an outdoor pool. Now, I find myself counting down with my kids , "How many days til Flat Rock?"

2 Thank Jennifer R
MA
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were looking forward to going there after checking out the webiste and getting the brochure in the mail. We have 3 young kids and the place looked great, advertising pools, beach, lazy river, mini-golf, daily activities etc. and the pics looked great. So we booked a rental unit for a week even though it was a bit expensive, hoping it was worth it for all they had to offer. And we were looking for the "family experience" and were happy that they have quite hours becuase with little ones getting up early a good nights sleep is a must.

So as we're going down the street to the campground we can see the lazy river as you go over the bridge, water looked murky and not flowing well. They can't help that but that was one thing we could cross off the list. There is a road that goes right between both halves of the campground and as we were driving in we could see the campground was packed. Good sign I thought but as we drove in you could see right away that this is an old campground in need of updates. Even the office is dated and could use a fix up, not a great first impression. We got to our rental unit and I went in first to check things out, there was food under the table still (not just little pieces, visable chips and cereal) so it took me over a 1/2 hour to clean the place because I figured if they didn't bother to sweep that well, what else wasn't cleaned thoroughly?! So as I cleaned the kids went to check out the pools.

The pool with the waterslide is smaller and was literally standing room only. (per another review saw they rent out the water slide to the local rec dept so on top of campers you have to deal with more people) The other pool was much bigger and not as crowded, even throughout the week. Pools water was clean, but there was a distinct ring around the bigger pool. Granted it was an older pool but with a little elbow grease I'm sure they could clean that right up. And yes the pool furniture is in need of updates at that one, the one with the water slide had some newer stuff. Pond with beach that they still advertise as swimmable is absolutly NOT!! It was great for feeding the ducks but they should not be advertising that as a swim spot, maybe say it's a duck pond then you wouldn't feel dupped. Bathrooms were in deperate need of repair. A fresh coat of paint would go a loong way. And the pedal cart course was also in neglect, all they needed to do was go in there with a weed whacker and it would have made a world of difference. Arcade was in need of up keep as well, broken machines. Other things that would have "cleaned up" the place would be to pick up all the clothes, towels, googles etc. that are left all around the campground and just throw it in a big lost & found box. Since they have security doing nightly patrols anyhow, why not neaten up the place. Yes, I know it's not a 5 star hotel but for the $ it would have been nice if they paid attention to these little details and made it a better experience.

Yes they have a lot of activities for the kids and the staff was pretty good with them as well. The woman running the craft shop was great, and it was great to have it open everyday we were there 10-4. We will never go back again, just felt it was way too expensive for the condition it was in. We go to different campgrounds every year and we rely on reviews and woodall's. If you have you're own trailer and don't need the bathrooms then it may be fine for you. If you're tenting it I would not recommend, especially if you have a dog or have to go to the bathroom after 11pm, from other reviewers apparenlty you get spoken to for peeing after 11. Also the road is well traveled in the morning and tent sites are right along the road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank camper141
FlatRockBridge, Owner at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Deceived is a very strong word that implies we did something wrong. All photos in our brochure and on our web site were taken within the last two years, and like all companies do in their advertising, we try to present the best features of our business. Do our grounds and facilities still need work? They always will as a campground is an ever changing creature that needs constant attention. I do apologize if your cabin was not properly cleaned before you arrived. Had you informed us we certainly would have taken care of that for you, as well as had been able to deal with our staff that was responsible. If we don't know, we can't fix it. We will certainly watch for this more closely now.

I am surprised that TripAdvisor has allowed this writer to violate their policy in referring to other reviews, and thus commenting on incidents that they do not have first hand knowledge of. One time during this summer, on a Tuesday, we allowed a group of 16 children and 4 adults to come and use our facility for a few hours. It was not a huge toll on anything, and would not have even been noticed had they not had the children all wear the same t-shirts. A total of 20 people is like 4 additional campsites being rented. Really?? We did something nice for a small group in our town and it is now being portrayed as a negative? The nonsense about not being allowed to use the restroom at night is just that, nonsense. We had one group of folks (which has posted multiple times on this and other sites as some vendetta) that wanted to wander the grounds, and tried to use the restroom as their reason for wandering. 15 times in 30-45 minutes with a group of 6 or 8 folks taking a different path around the campground each time? At midnight, it is just not what we want folks doing, so yes, we asked them to not wander. This writer was not there for either of these one time incidents, and it is a shame that it is being allowed to be written about again.

We do hear the legitimate concerns and appreciate the firsthand feedback.
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Big Maine Campground advertisement, poor campground quality. Bath rooms a little less then disappointing. Looked like they hadn't been upgraded in years. When we go to a campground we always check the bathrooms first. You can live with a bad site, but the sight of a bathroom in disrepair is disturbing. Hand Dryers in bathrooms turned of at night so as not to disturb the campers? And no paper towels to replace the hand dryers? No trash bins in the bath rooms.(West BR) How about the airconditioners running all night? Does this disturb other campers? At least the hand dryer runs for one minute at the most. And not very much after 11:00 PM.
Overall campground was barely acceptable. The Tardy Brothers saved the day. Will not return even if the Tardy Brothers are performing. Sorry we WERE excited about staying at Flatrock for the first time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 9Humbug544
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have been a seasonal for 10 years and would never think of going anywhere else.the owners are very respectful and kind .The activities are going on all day everyday for both children and adults .I have seen the campground change owners for the better.The new owners have continued to improve the grounds.I love this place and so does my whole family.Keep up the good work John and Mary your doing a great job

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank melanie e
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
Moody Beach RV Campground

Been to Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping? Share your experiences!