Review Highlights

Historic Hints

Reviewed October 10, 2018
Charlesandlouise
Hawkesbury, Canada

All reviews picnic tables walking trails plenty of parking tree house nice playground long pier sandy beaches off leash rest rooms closed for the season great scenery light house piscataqua river high tide portsmouth shoals isles
Reviewed October 14, 2018

My wife and I had been to Fort Foster before. But this time we brought our son, his wife, and our 16 month old granddaughter. It costs $10 admission, but is well worth it. Go straight to the harbor parking area. The vista is from the harbor at Portsmouth, NH to two lighthouses, to the Atlantic. Amazing. There is a good sized pier where you can walk out and experience the water, breeze, and vistas. This alone is worth the price of admission.

Our granddaughter found the children's playground much to her liking. She laughed as she swung in the swing's bucket seats. She squealed as she went down the short slide. She walked across the arched bridge, and held on across the chained log bridge that swung. There is a "tree house" that is a children's play house with a tree growing up through it. There was even a small boat she sat in and "drove" turning the steering wheel.

We happened to be there the last day of the season it was opened, 30 September. Being with a small child we did not take the hikes to the other parking center. If you are a WWII buff you can see coastal defenses and remains of the submarine net hung across the harbor.

Fort Foster is a hidden gem for all ages. We stumbled upon it the first time, but made sure to share it with our entire family the second time.

Reviewed October 10, 2018

We had a beautiful day to walk into the fort area. The gates were closed but there were a number of people trekking to the site. Very interesting signs and remains. The dock is amazing and the concept of adding memorials along the dock rails is wonderful. Views of the lighthouse are special and as close as possible. We took some great photographs as well as an astounding number of shots of hundreds of Monarch Butterflies swarming over the wild asters, roses and any other food sources that they could consume. The only downside to this experience was the lack of respect for the "on-leash" dog signs. We love animals but found it disconcerting to have to watch for dogs tearing past our feet in an attempt to exercise without their owners in-tow. We were surprised that the majority of dog owners showed so little respect for the historic area and the people experiencing the site.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We had to visit this place. Our first time here. We walked around and just enjoyed the sights. Being closer to whaleback lighthouse and the life saving station was amazing. I took lots of great pics. We loved the dock too.

Reviewed September 15, 2018

I thought I'd found the perfect place to walk my 2 young dogs on an unplanned visit to Kittery. I am a dog owner who actually follows park rules. If there is a leash law, I keep my dogs on-leash. I always do so in nature reserves anyway, as I do not want my dogs to disturb or harm wildlife. There is a leash law at this park that is clearly stated on the gate and inside the park. However just about everyone walking their dogs there - and there were many more than I expected on a post Labor Day Friday - let their dogs off-leash, including one woman with 7 dogs who she could not, of course, control. So my scenic walk became a nightmare, since my on-leash dogs were not pleased to be approached by off-leash dogs over and over again. It is frustrating that I, who followed the park rules, will never choose to go there again and am denied the pleasure Foster Park has the potential to provide, whereas the majority of dog owners who did not abide by the park rules, will continue to have, like their dogs, the run of the place. Clearly, there was no park service oversight to address this flagrant disregard for their rules meant to protect wildlife and offer non-dog owners and dog owners like me a pleasurable visit.

1  Thank Explorer435973
Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

What a hidden gem. Absolutely breath taking. Had a lovely time walking the area. The groundskeeper even gave us more history on the fort.

2  Thank Lynn F
Reviewed August 10, 2018

located on Gerrish Island in Kittery Point, the Fort was active 1901-1946 though it didnt see any real action, it is one of several forts built on either side of the Piscataqua "river" which techically is an estuary as it ebbs and flows with the tides, which were built to protect Portsmouth Harbor and its ship building. It has a long pier that juts out into the water, 3 small but sandy beaches, restrooms, grills, playground, exPANSIVE walking trails, fort remants to climb on, lots of green space for kite flying, frisbee etc. views of Whaleback and Portsmouth Harbour lighthouse, the isles of shoals, 6m off the coast, no dogs peak season, $10/carload well worth it! watch the sailboats coast in and out, maybe see a huge tanker!,

2  Thank thefitchboi
Reviewed July 20, 2018

This park has a $10 entrance fee per car that is well worth it. There are some really scenic views. You can walk out onto a long pier in the middle of the water, where people also fish.

There are a couple of small beaches with lots of rocks. If you're looking for a wide open flat expanse of sand, go to Ogunquit Beach with all the crowds and a $30 parking fee, not to mention that beach "disappears" when high tide comes in. But if you want to relax on a small uncrowded beach in a protected inlet where high tide is not really an issue, this place is perfect.

There are several picnic tables and barbecue grills plus a playground for small children. The restrooms were clean and well maintained. We had the sense that this is where many of the locals in the area go to the beach. Parking on a beautiful sunny day was easy. Lots of spots.

1  Thank Simonizzze
Reviewed July 9, 2018

If you are NOT a beach person, this is the beach for you! It is quiet and not over crowded like most beaches. Although it does have gray sand that is not granular, there are many wooded private spots to hide away in as well as many picnic tables with grills. If you don't like to sit on the beach, but enjoy the cool breezy weather, this is the place for you. You can take a walk on the path along the beach and on the pier, where you can also fish. We love to go there because we bring our dog as she loves to go in the water and this is one of the few beaches you can bring your pup-but make sure you keep him/her on a leash, as the police do come and make sure all dogs are leashed.

4  Thank lamp2660
Reviewed June 11, 2018

There really isn't much of a fort left, but what a great place to beach it for a day and walk. Dogs are allowed year round, on leash, so that's fun, and there is a nice pier to walk on with views of Fort Constitution Light House and Castle Island. There is a bit of walking involved wherever you park, so it's important that you are mobile. I noticed tons of picnic tables, three different beaches, a bathhouse, and it was only $10 to park for the day. No food available, though, and the nearest store is probably 3 miles away, so you would want to make sure you have everything with you that you need for the day.

4  Thank sweetmama17
Reviewed May 30, 2018

If you are looking for a fort, there is very little left here. But the various trails provide an enjoyable area for a walk with excellent views of the Piscataqua river and the Portsmouth and Newcastle shore on the opposite side of the river. Limited parking is some distance from the shore so plan on a good walk.