“Lovely Inn; Wonderful Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kittery
Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Kittery B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Lovely Inn; Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

We stayed in the Grand George room and this had one of the most comfortable beds; I wanted to stay put all day. We loved the location, the setting, the room, the home, and of course - the hosts. The hospitality was fantastic and the breakfast superb.

This was our first stay in Portsmouth but will gladly return and staying at the Inn will be a must.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

On one of the most popular nights of the year for staying someplace besides one's own home, we managed to get their last room for July 4th.

This hidden gem is in Kittery, right beside Portsmouth harbor and the bridge that goes right into Portsmouth. We enjoyed walking over the brige into town, returning to the inn for a relaxing evening. Although the inn was fully booked, we never heard any noise or disruptions of any kind.

Breakfast was delicious and the conversation satisfying, as we all shared experiences. The service was top notch, the decor pleasing, and yes, we would stay there again, perhaps even with advance reservations next time!

• Liked — Location and ambience
  • Disliked — No negatives
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Quality1989
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

I stayed at the Portsmouth Inn & Spa in late April with my girlfriend just for a night but had a wonderful time. The house is beautiful, quaint, and nicely decorated. We stayed in the Minx room which was extremely clean, had a great view of the river, and had a very large, nice bathroom. The location is great, a nice walk across the bridge to Portsmouth. The hot tub out on the patio was huge, had powerful jets, and was a perfect 104 degrees - very relaxing. We ate dinner at Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe in Portsmouth and had a delicious seafood dinner. I would definitely recommend this B&B to anybody looking for a relaxing couple days. Two thumbs up!

• Liked — The house, location, hot tub, breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kev101
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

We enjoyed our stay in this lovely and friendly place. Clean, comfortable and just what you want when you are staying in Maine - a pretty house with a river view. Good breakfasts and excellent host. Very close to the restaurants in Portsmouth that are across the adjacent bridge. A real find as we just knocked on the door and received a lovely welcome.

• Liked — Like staying with a very good freind
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thetraveler_8
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

We recently stayed at the Portsmouth Harbor Inn & Spa in Kittery, Maine for one night after a conference in Boston and it was excellent!

Lynn, one of our hosts, was hospitable right from the start with freshly-baked cookies and tea and coffee for us.

The Inn is beautiful and classic and has a very homey feel as soon as you enter, including a piano in the living room, books, and interesting paintings covering the walls. The dining area included an authentic-looking long wooden table. Beside the beautiful wooden table were books for purchase describing the area which I thought was a nice touch.

We stayed in the Dido room which was so pretty, with flowered wallpaper and classic lamp shades. It had four windows overlooking three views of the quaint area surrounding the charming home. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean.

We had our own bathroom which was nice and it was very clean and complete with everything we needed, including massive fluffy towels.

The Inn also had a good assortment of videos that we could watch in our room which was a much appreciated added bonus.

Lynn was very helpful regarding describing where we could eat and she even offered to make reservations for us. Her description of the available eating options was spot on.

Just outside our room was a little landing area with many wonderful books. I found it so relaxing to sit on the comfy chair and read about history of art and the artists who have painted in Maine, including Andrew Wyeth. This allowed me to learn a bit about the history of the area which added another dimension to my stay.

In the morning, we were welcomed with an amazingly delicious breakfast of thick, apple-filled French toast topped with more apples and real maple syrup following a superb pineapple starter dish, complete with orange juice (and another juice drink and water available too). The tea was out of this world good (I am a tea drinker)...we even had a "tea discussion"! My husband and I really enjoyed our hearty breakfast and we found Lynn to be extremely helpful, highly knowledgeable and very interesting. In addition, we had our privacy in a highly relaxed, serene setting in the beautiful house just across from the Atlantic Ocean. In late spring, summer and fall, the garden, full of different flowers and plants, must be a delight.

Not only was our stay at the Inn highly enjoyable but we found that our hosts went above and beyond the call of duty. For example, Lynn offered to give us tea or coffee for the road! This gesture gives you an idea of how welcoming the hosts at the Portsmouth Harbor Inn & Spa are!

The Inn is easy to find as well.

The little we paid for our wonderful stay was truly amazing. It was a true pleasure to meet our friendly, easy-going, efficient hosts Lynn and Nat.

It is simply the best Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed at. We highly recommend the Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa to anyone wanting a highly welcoming, clean, relaxing stay which includes a hearty top-notch breakfast at reasonable prices.

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendliness, good food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank SmudgefromSmudgie
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

My husband and I have not stayed at the inn before and by far this was the best stay in a B&B yet. When we arrived we were greeted at the door with warm and welcoming smiles and fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies. We stayed in the beautiful Minx room. Talk about a squeeky clean room. The bed was so comfy and the towles were big and soft. When we woke up the next morning we had a great gormet breakfast with fresh juice and amazing coffee. We then checked out and every penny was worth it. Just the right prices for the best hospitality we have had in a long time.

Then we went into the inn and all of our everyday troubles just melted away with a therapudic couples message. I then had a great facial and my husband had his first pedicure. This was his first pedicure because he thought it was too girly but he told me that it was the best expiriance he has ever had and he would do it every week if we could. He loved how the nail tech made him feet so comfortable and the message on his feet and legs were amazing.

We have made reservations for the same time next year when we checked out and we cannot wait. We loved everything!!!

Thank you!!!!!!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank shortypie11
Topsham, ME
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa. We stayed Wednesday-Friday as a little romantic getaway from our toddler. I admit to being a bit picky about inns and hotels - my family ran an inn and I worked at a B&B while in college. This was our sixth B&B stay.

First the wonderful parts of our stay:

1. The location of the inn - a pleasant five-minute walk to downtown Portsmouth, NH - an excellent and affordable way to experience Portsmouth.

2. The beautiful gardens.

3. Spa - The duet massage that my husband and I experienced was wonderful.

4. Food - Breakfast both mornings was delicious.

5. The Bathroom - Huge bathroom, big thick towels.

The parts that were less-than-wonderful (as we were leaving, we were told that one of the innkeepers has been having some health problems and that they were stuggling a bit to keep up - I think this probably explains some of the experiences we had):

1. Booking - We booked on the website, but never received a confirmation email - I needed to call and make sure that we indeed had a room for our stay. When we checked out, we were told that they didn't think they had charged our card to guarantee the reservation, but weren't sure, so they would be charging the entire amount again. Not a problem, and handled graciously, but still a little disconcerting.

2. The Minx Room - I think this is probably the least-desirable room on the property (but priced lower than the other rooms). It was just adequate - a small room, wood-grained vinyl flooring in the room and bathroom (looked like this was the only room without hardwood), rather noisy location, very creaky iron bed. The walls and trim could use a fresh coat of paint. Bedspread was stained (I think a previous guest had coffee in bed).

3. Housekeeping and Details - We were very surprised to return from our first day's outing at 3 pm to find that our towels had been replaced, but our bed had not been made nor the wastebaskets emptied. As we only stayed two nights, I don't know if this was just a fluke, or if maybe we returned to our room before they had a chance. We also ran out of toilet paper and soap - I expected there to be replacements in the room but there were not.

Overall, we felt fortunate to find an available room in the Portsmouth area during the 'leaf-peeper' season at the rate we paid. I would stay here again, but not in the Minx room. Judging from the wonderful reviews we read on Trip Advisor, I think the inn staff was just not at the top of their game during our stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sambo1976
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kittery
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#2 of 17 in Portsmouth
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront

Been to Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!