“Odd...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kittery
Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Kittery B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Odd...”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I wanted to write this here to make a point to the innkeeper, Lynn. The Inn was really nice. Nice room, porch, dining room. Nice breakfast. However, I found Lynn's attitude or general demeanor "off." Upon entering the inn for the first time, she looked pretty "pissed off" that I even walked in the door. Granted, I came in rather abruptly in the afternoon, but I was carrying heavy bags, so there was no way I could tip toe like a cat into the inn. The whole time I was there I felt as though she was watching people like a stern school teacher or strict and uppity aunt that was about the spank you or kick you out if you put a foot out of place. So despite the inn being nice, clean, pretty in a great location, I generally felt ill-at ease in this place. I did not feel a warm welcome though and dislike the feeling of having to behave like I was in a church.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alura R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
North Easton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I booked a getaway to this Inn to celebrate our 3rd anniversary and had a lovely and relaxing stay. Lynn and Rick are both wonderful hosts who offer excellent hospitality and suggestions, a delicious breakfast each morning, and a clean and charming B&B experience. Kittery is walking distance/short driving distance to Portsmouth and a wealth of restaurants and things to do without being right in the middle of all the action. We were able to enjoy gourmet restaurants and tons of activities without having to stay admist all of it. A short shuttle ride (due to the bridge construction) back to the Inn and we felt like we were in another peaceful world which was perfect for sleeping, leisurely breakfasts, and enjoying the front porch and beautiful weather. We would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This little gem of an inn was such a wonderful experience! Lynn & Rick were so welcoming and accommodating. Even before we arrived, they emailed to ask if we had any dietary restrictions, and if we preferred down pillows or synthetic!! That is the attention to detail at this inn.

The inn itself is beautiful. A lot of charm and lovely detail, but immaculate and well maintained. The attention to detail, both in hospitality and decor were perfect. We had all of our questions answered, although we were very familiar with the area. Although the inn is across the river from Portsmouth, rather than in the center, it did not affect our weekend. Just a few minutes away, even with the bridge out of commission. We would love to go back in the winter, enjoy the coziness of the inn, the hot tub, spa, and be able to walk into Portsmouth once the bridge is complete.

All in all the inn far exceeded our expectations. Thank you Lynn & Rick for a wonderful experience. Look forward to seeing you again!!

Room Tip: The Valera room is beautiful!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Welcoming, well-maintained inn on a quiet street, close to the main highway. Inn owner provided advice on local hikes and site-seeing. Delicious breakfast where we met fellow guests from various places in the U.S. Clean spa next door was convenient and offered a variety of services including massages for both men and women.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrianF71
Kingston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We did not stay in the B&B, so I can't speak to the quality of this establishment as a B&B. We booked the spa for a group of women to spend the day together being pampered. We chose this place based on its excellent reviews, and it did not live up to my expectations. We were all happy with the services we received. The actual people who did the body wraps and massages were lovely, very professional, kept rooms clean, had good technique, etc.

My issue is with the management of the business, and very poor customer service we received from Lynn - something I deem extremely important in the hospitality industry...and strangely something that this place gets glowing reviews about by other people...

In the process of trying to arrange this weekend, several times my emails and information sent in them were lost by Lynn, and she kept accusing me of never responding to her emails, then later finding my replies. This seemed disorganized, a little annoying and unprofessional but no big deal at this point.

I received a schedule, and an email stating explicitly that the first services for a our group were at 10am and if we could not make it by 10 to let her know. At LITERALLY 10:01 she called me and told (me a serious attitude) that we were late...(we were seconds away). She continued to reminds us periodically throughout the day that we had been late, and were behind schedule. Maybe it is a personality thing, but she none of us found her to be very warm or welcoming to our group. That seems key to keeping people who are spending over $1000 in a few short hours happy...it is a spa, not a doctors office!

There also wasn't really a good place for 5 people to hang out together while the other 2 were getting treatments. The reception area had a couch and a few chairs, but was cramped. The garden area was buggy and in a bit of disarray.

We arranged sandwiches and a plate of sweets (eclairs, danish, etc.) for our people through the spa before hand. When leaving she told me the total was $45 for the food, and we said that seemed low. She said "oh you are right, it is $107"...not quite sure how six sandwiches and a plate of danish averaged out to that much, but I paid it without comment. Not a single person in our group received an invoice or receipt for either the food or the services. Again, disorganized, a little annoying and unprofessional but no big deal at this point.

The next morning, she called me and said she undercharged my by $100 because I never paid for the food, and that I would have to pay it now. I was livid. I refreshed her memory about how I had paid in cash. She was like "oh yeah i guess you did, have a nice day".

I worked at a resort for 5+ years. It is the responsibly of the business to provide customers with accurate bills and IF an error was discover the day after, it would have been the business's error, not the customer. I she had prepared an invoice, the whole thing could have been avoided.

Although we enjoyed the spa services, there was no overall "spa environment" being fostered, and the attitude we received left a bad taste in all our mouths despite the fact our treatments were good. I would not return, nor would I recommend this place when there are several other excellent choices in the area.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Flaming0_Baby
Harpswell, Maine
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This small inn knows how to do hospitality. There are beverages always available, beach towels to borrow, a water cooler in the hallway. Beds, linens and towels were lovely; breakfast was delicious. The front porch is a wonderful place to sit. And the location is fantastic - a walk to Portsmouth yet in a quiet, riverside neighborhood. NH beaches, Maine harbors, Kittery shopping are all close, so I would recommend staying here to visit any of those destinations. Lynn had some good recommendations and was very accommodating. I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tustin, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Amazing facility! The Dido room was immaculate and the attached bath was clean and modern. The views of the private gardens (in springtime bloom) and the partial view of the harbor were wonderful. Quiet, clean and beautiful. Other rooms afford breathtaking views of the river and of Portsmouth, NH. Fantastic service! Due to a delayed flight, we arrived horribly late. The inn keepers were gracious and accommodating, we got settled in with no fuss or drama! During our 1 week stay, we never skipped fresh coffee in the morning or the elegant breakfasts prepared by the inn keepers. The food was nutritious and ever changing, we were always pleasantly surprised and never disappointed. The inn is easily accessible from the interstate and until the bridges are repaired in summer of 2013, a free shuttle (just a few minute’s walk from the Inn) will bring you into the heart of downtown Portsmouth. The Inn is only a few driving minutes from the Kittery Outlets, Old Town Kittery and the Interstate. Well worth the stay, if even for a night, and an exceptional value for the long term guest.

Room Tip: The Dido Room accomodated my sister and I perfectly! It was quiet, well furnished and CLEAN!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank H F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kittery
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#2 of 17 in Portsmouth
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront

Been to Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!