“Friendly Inn with relaxing adjacent Spa”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kittery
Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Kittery B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Welcoming, well-maintained inn on a quiet street, close to the main highway. Inn owner provided advice on local hikes and site-seeing. Delicious breakfast where we met fellow guests from various places in the U.S. Clean spa next door was convenient and offered a variety of services including massages for both men and women.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrianF71

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We did not stay in the B&B, so I can't speak to the quality of this establishment as a B&B. We booked the spa for a group of women to spend the day together being pampered. We chose this place based on its excellent reviews, and it did not live up to my expectations. We were all happy with the services we received. The actual people who did the body wraps and massages were lovely, very professional, kept rooms clean, had good technique, etc.

My issue is with the management of the business, and very poor customer service we received from Lynn - something I deem extremely important in the hospitality industry...and strangely something that this place gets glowing reviews about by other people...

In the process of trying to arrange this weekend, several times my emails and information sent in them were lost by Lynn, and she kept accusing me of never responding to her emails, then later finding my replies. This seemed disorganized, a little annoying and unprofessional but no big deal at this point.

I received a schedule, and an email stating explicitly that the first services for a our group were at 10am and if we could not make it by 10 to let her know. At LITERALLY 10:01 she called me and told (me a serious attitude) that we were late...(we were seconds away). She continued to reminds us periodically throughout the day that we had been late, and were behind schedule. Maybe it is a personality thing, but she none of us found her to be very warm or welcoming to our group. That seems key to keeping people who are spending over $1000 in a few short hours happy...it is a spa, not a doctors office!

There also wasn't really a good place for 5 people to hang out together while the other 2 were getting treatments. The reception area had a couch and a few chairs, but was cramped. The garden area was buggy and in a bit of disarray.

We arranged sandwiches and a plate of sweets (eclairs, danish, etc.) for our people through the spa before hand. When leaving she told me the total was $45 for the food, and we said that seemed low. She said "oh you are right, it is $107"...not quite sure how six sandwiches and a plate of danish averaged out to that much, but I paid it without comment. Not a single person in our group received an invoice or receipt for either the food or the services. Again, disorganized, a little annoying and unprofessional but no big deal at this point.

The next morning, she called me and said she undercharged my by $100 because I never paid for the food, and that I would have to pay it now. I was livid. I refreshed her memory about how I had paid in cash. She was like "oh yeah i guess you did, have a nice day".

I worked at a resort for 5+ years. It is the responsibly of the business to provide customers with accurate bills and IF an error was discover the day after, it would have been the business's error, not the customer. I she had prepared an invoice, the whole thing could have been avoided.

Although we enjoyed the spa services, there was no overall "spa environment" being fostered, and the attitude we received left a bad taste in all our mouths despite the fact our treatments were good. I would not return, nor would I recommend this place when there are several other excellent choices in the area.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Flaming0_Baby
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This small inn knows how to do hospitality. There are beverages always available, beach towels to borrow, a water cooler in the hallway. Beds, linens and towels were lovely; breakfast was delicious. The front porch is a wonderful place to sit. And the location is fantastic - a walk to Portsmouth yet in a quiet, riverside neighborhood. NH beaches, Maine harbors, Kittery shopping are all close, so I would recommend staying here to visit any of those destinations. Lynn had some good recommendations and was very accommodating. I will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Amazing facility! The Dido room was immaculate and the attached bath was clean and modern. The views of the private gardens (in springtime bloom) and the partial view of the harbor were wonderful. Quiet, clean and beautiful. Other rooms afford breathtaking views of the river and of Portsmouth, NH. Fantastic service! Due to a delayed flight, we arrived horribly late. The inn keepers were gracious and accommodating, we got settled in with no fuss or drama! During our 1 week stay, we never skipped fresh coffee in the morning or the elegant breakfasts prepared by the inn keepers. The food was nutritious and ever changing, we were always pleasantly surprised and never disappointed. The inn is easily accessible from the interstate and until the bridges are repaired in summer of 2013, a free shuttle (just a few minute’s walk from the Inn) will bring you into the heart of downtown Portsmouth. The Inn is only a few driving minutes from the Kittery Outlets, Old Town Kittery and the Interstate. Well worth the stay, if even for a night, and an exceptional value for the long term guest.

Room Tip: The Dido Room accomodated my sister and I perfectly! It was quiet, well furnished and CLEAN!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank H F
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It was a special trip for my husbands birthday and it was just fabulous. Lynn was helpful in making reservations for our dinner and making great suggestions of things to see. We are planning on making this a tradition. I just loved that they accommodated me being a vegan! Pena and Malcolm will be returning again and again!

Room Tip: We had the Alice room which was awesome
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PenaEmilia R
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I booked a best friend package at the Portsmouth Inn and Spa with 5 other women. It was wonderful. Lynn and Rick were excellent hosts making us feel so welcome. The breakfasts were delicious and the coffee, loose leaf tea, cookies and wine were nice touchs to our stay. Lynn inquires when making reservations if food allergies would be a issue. The package includes spa services. My friends and I chose massages and facials and we all commented on how much we enjoyed our treatments. The rooms were furnished with 4 star hotel linens and bath products. The inn is located on the harbor with a free shuttle service to Portsmouth since the bridge near the Inn is under construction. If bridge was open you would be able to walk to downtown Portsmouth. We had dinner and shopped in Portsmouth both nights with many places to choose from. My friends and I mentioned that we wil recommend this place to our friends and family and hope to return someday ourselves.

Room Tip: The King George room is a beautiful room witha great view, but due to the slanted ceiling it only ha...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ddiliber
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The services was excellent, the atmosphere wonderful...and the the outdoor hottub wonderful. Extremely happy I came across this and would most definitely return. They were wonderfully respective of our food issues and friendly with great recommendations.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kittery
Kittery Inn and Suites
The Garrison Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
York Harbor Inn
York Harbor Inn
#1 of 4 in York Harbor

Been to Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!