“Barbeque in Kittery”

Rudders Public House
Ranked #15 of 70 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
York Beach, Maine
“Barbeque in Kittery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was my grandson`s idea and a good one it was,food was good,place was sparkling clean and the people friendly,he had the ribs I had the fried chicken,we were both happy,have never been to the MoJo`s in Portsmouth but this lil sister seems to be a good representation of the bigger one,the only complaint was some sides were cooler than we would have liked,and mac and cheese could be creamier or cheesier,southern mac and cheese is different but was cool so hard to judge,but we enjoyed everything else and we will be back!

• Visited October 2012

Hampton, New Hampshire
“Excellent service, ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I didn't think the food was anything to rave about. It was ok, don't get me wrong, not bad, just not anything spectacular, average. The service was fantastic though. Very nice bartenders/counter help. Friendly. Liked the way the place is decorated. Somebody did a great job. Small inside, not a big place, bar and a few small tables. I guess the food is really to each persons personal taste. It was all piping hot and fresh, just no WOW factor for me.

• Visited September 2012
Milledgeville, Georgia
“A good sauce that distracts you from otherwise mediocre BBQ.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Had a complete (and surprisingly expensive) lunch with a party of 4 today. Our reactions:

Pulled pork - a little fatty, not a lot of flavor. More "chunks" than "pulled".
BBQ chicken - dry and forgettable.
Fried chicken - Liked a lot more than the BBQ chicken.
Beef brisket - almost more NY deli/pot roast style and flavor than Texas style. Tasty but not what we expected.
Ribs - good quality meat, nicely trimmed. Dry rub and smoke flavor were weak, though.
Cole slaw - interesting, a sauerkraut tinge to the flavor
BBQ beans - very interesting, a little spice in there almost like curry.
Fried pickles - fine with good spiced ranch on the side, but not worth $7.
Collard greens - not bad, liked better than the other sides.
Mac and cheese - Also a favorite among the sides.

With sodas, that lunch cracked $70, so be more careful than we were with the menu. It wasn't terrible at all, but doesn't hold a candle to iconic BBQ restaurants south of the Mason-Dixon and in Texas. Sauce is nice, sweet with a hint of spice.

Dover, New Hampshire
“A Mini Mojo's Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Mojo's BBQ in Kittery is located on Wallingford Street in Kittery (a small side street) and is really located on Government Street, the main business section in Kittery Foreside. Mojo's, like most of the businesses on Government Street, does not have it's own parking, and parking is hard to find in this area.

But that shouldn't discourage you from goiing to Mojo's in Kittery. Mojo's in Kittery is a significantly different experience than the one in Portsmouth, NH. It is much smaller, and does not have tableside service. Portsmouth Mojo's is a much livelier venue.

My wife, adult son and I visited Mojo's in Kittery on August 10, 2012. It was our first time there. This Mojo's has about 5 - 6 tables, and a bar with a good number of seats. You order at the cash register at the bar, and your food is brought to your table when it is ready. Soft drinks are purchased from a cooler.

I ordered the Mojo Massacre sandwich, which I have had before at the Portsmouth Mojo's, which is a burger with pulled pork and coleslaw. Delicious! My son ordered a beef brisket and bbq chicken dinner with sides of cornbread and mac & cheese. My wife had the 4 pc fried chicken dinner with sides of cornbread and mac & cheese. They both loved their chicken and cornbread, although they were both a little disappointed in the mac & cheese, for not having a rich cheese flavor.

My one critisicm of Kittery Mojo;s was the lack of blues music. When you go to the Portsmouth Mojo's, blues music is played on the PA system. When we were a Kittery Mojo's, there was no music at all when we were first there, but the Olympics were on, and the sound was on lightly. ( I can understand that). But later, reggae music was played over the PA system, instead of blues. I like reggae music, but when I go to a blues themed bbq joint, I would like to hear blues music to enhamce the experience rather than reggae or other music.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank jebblackfish
“That Burger was delicious!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Had the the Bacon cheese Burger with Arkasawse. Yummy!!! Wife had chicken sandwich. All was good and hot.