“Spontaneous Visit”

The Black Birch
Ranked #5 of 82 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Set in a one story retired brick post office, The Black Birch has an unassuming exterior. The interior is modern minimalist balanced by reclaimed wood and hand blown glass lighting. Outdoors is a hidden gem of a beer garden.
Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

We were in the area visiting our favorite butchers and after we decided to stop in for a bite. It was perfect timing. We were hungry, they had food,...great food as a matter of fact.
It was right in the switch over from lunch tapas to a dinner menu. Once again, perfect timing.
I opted for the scallops, and my wife was craving a burger. These folks locally source so the burger was from our butcher, Maine MEat, and my scallops from our friendly local fisherman. It was a win win. (If I could only cook like the Chef at BB.

The space is small, so be prepared to rub shoulders with fellow foodies. The service was great. We’ll be back again for a planned ‘spontaneous’ visit with friends and family.

Peace, Matt

1  Thank MattR154

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

Wonderful beer selection. The food is excellent. The owners work there and you can tell how much they love what they do. The menu changes which is nice for us locals.

1  Thank squamrose
Reviewed March 20, 2019 via mobile

The food was well paired, delicious, perfectly cooked. Drinks were delicious, I rarely have a third but couldn’t resist. The servers attentive, happy & play fun music on vinyl. The ambiance is warm & inviting. Eat here often.

1  Thank CrosbyNewEngland
Reviewed January 10, 2019 via mobile

Read good reviews about this restaurant and it didn’t disappoint. I had the deviled eggs as an appetizer, they were delicious. For a main course I had the Pork Chop with Brussels which was cooked perfectly and topped with a cranberry chutney. Everyone at our table raved about their food.

The service was very efficient and friendly. From the outside the building is very plain and there’s no obvious sign, so it’s easy to drive by.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank KayHRS
Reviewed January 6, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I were staying in York and she wanted to try something different. I thought for sure we would have ended up in Ogunquit or Portsmouth and was surprised to hear she found a spot in Kittery. The downtown was lit up. Easy parking. We had a small wait for the table but well worth it. The cocktails were excellent. Service was perfect mix of relaxed but never waiting. Atmosphere was second to none - record player going with the vinyl prominently displayed. We were listening to Dr. John (who was part of the Band’s final concert - The Last Waltz). It was different from what I’m used to around this area and very much appreciated.

The food was excellent. Perfect size portions for a social evening. Have a few drinks and a few snacks. We got the lamb meatballs which were out of this world. We also ordered a salad, olives, and the burger (take on the Big Mac sauce) - all delish!

Highly recommend!!