“One of the Best Meals I've Ever Had”
Review of The Black Birch

The Black Birch
Ranked #9 of 71 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Set in a one story retired brick post office, The Black Birch has an unassuming exterior. The interior is modern minimalist balanced by reclaimed wood and hand blown glass lighting. Outdoors is a hidden gem of a beer garden.
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I love eating out, and do so relatively often (not as much as I'd like) and have had many amazing meals. The meal I had this weekend at Black Birch was easily one of the very best.

I heard the wait can be quite long, but also heard the food and service was worth it. We were lucky (went for dinner around 9pm) and only waited a few short minutes! Once even in the door (still waiting) one of the owners came over to make sure he took our drink orders and we had drinks while waiting.

Once we sat down the service was great. They checked in with us many times, knew exactly what drinks we ordered, despite it being a different gentleman, and didn't rush us even in the slightest. They didn't take our main orders until after we finished our starters and brought the starters one at a time. Such wonderful attention to detail!

The price was absolutely reasonable for the quality of food and the service we had. I had the pork schnitzel, and the other members of my party had the sea scallops and the swordfish. Each dish (I tasted them all) was outstanding!

I will absolutely be going back, even if I have to wait an hour or more - it's worth it!

Just a tip, they don't accept reservations.

There are newer reviews for The Black Birch

Reviewed March 4, 2014

From our vantage point, this restaurant has it all. Ambiance, great staff, clientele that's like a talkative foodie convention. And the best food in the region at a reasonable price.

I don't remember an evening here when we didn't meet new friends while having a memorable meal. Do you know another restaurant where all the conversation in the long line waiting to get in is about the fine points of some earlier meal at the restaurant?

The only down side, is that the wine list is, in my opinion, overpriced for the quality. However, the selection of draft beer (30 or 40 I think) makes up for it.

I'm trying to think of which meal has been the most memorable in the oft changing menu. My favorites include the calamari noodles, chicken under a brick, the home-made pate, the duck confit, the pork schnitzel, various pasta dishes that I can't remember the names of. It's all good.

Portsmouth (Kittery is a short walk over the bridge from Portsmouth, NH), is blessed with more good restaurants than most large cities. We think that the Black Birch is the best of them all.

2  Thank whsouthworth
Reviewed February 9, 2014

By recommendation of friends that live in the area we were looking forward to an evening meal here. They suggested we arrive very early, especially for a Saturday night, we did and were seated at one of the last tables.. it was 4:30pm. The extensive beer menu would satisfy anyone's taste, but they also had a good wine and cocktail list. The food was excellent, fresh and very promptly served. The quarters are a bit tight, but we enjoyed great conversation on both sides of us, as if we were dining out with friends. It was very busy but we never felt rushed. Wished we lived closer to make this a regular spot.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The food is perfect without being pretentious. So many places say they provide "Comfort food"
but black birch really does.

The Fish and chips was the best rendition I ever had--A huge piece of fresh cod, home made ketchup, great coleslaw and crispy fries.

The drinks and beer and the staff are great as well.

And finally they spin vinyl and have the most amazing music

1  Thank littlebay279
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Along with Anneke Jans this is the best restaurant in Kittery. Delicious small plates to start-- I recommend the deviled eggs and the duck confit poutine--both are to die for. Folks saying they have had better roasted cauliflower...please, a little elitist if you ask me. BB's roasted cauliflower along with pickled vegetables are absolutely delicious and the seasonal duck entree along with the pork schnitzel are dishes my friends and I order again and again.

Cheers!