“cozy spot for a good beer and average food”
Review of The Black Birch

The Black Birch
Ranked #6 of 75 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Set in a one story retired brick post office, The Black Birch has an unassuming exterior. The interior is modern minimalist balanced by reclaimed wood and hand blown glass lighting. Outdoors is a hidden gem of a beer garden.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have gone here several times in the past year and it has been fun. The beer is delicious, of course, the food just average. It is difficult to get a table, and if you don't mind squeezing in, you can meet new people if you sit at the high table. I would go again for a beer and skip the dinners.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am a local, and I love, love, love this place. The food is absolutely fantastic, and every time. The menu changes, with some staples always available, and it never disappoints. You would be hard pressed to find better food in Portsmouth. If you are visiting the area, eat here, and leave happy that you did.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was visiting some friends in Kittery Point so they took me to this great little place for our evening meal. They have a tall table as you come in that is “family style”. Three seats were available, so we were escorted to them. A bar is on one side and the other side has several tables lined up against them. The kitchen is straight in from the main door, with open walls so you are able to see the chef’s at work. We started out with deviled eggs. I must say, these were the best deviled eggs I’ve had at a restaurant ever. I had the fish and chips (also wonderful) and we shared the three desserts, chocolate flan, fresh made donuts with pumpkin ginger sauce and tiramisu. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that we had some local beers as well, which finished off the meal delightfully. I will be back when I make a visit again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The problem with rating this restaurant so highly is that the wait here is already long enough. We were recommended to this quaint spot by a local foodie friend who said "it will be the best meal you have while visiting Maine, period." The service was genuine, the beer and mixed drink specials are all appealing. Making you want to try all of them. Four of us opted to try the small plates so we could share and taste as many unique dishes as possible.
Bottom line is if you like creative good food and drinks served in a convivial/hip dining room of like-minded foodies, stop reading this and just go.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have mixed feelings about reviewing this place. It's hard enough to get in now. Please don't go.

That said. The food is amazing. The ambiance is great and the prices are reasonable.

However, don't come. It's too busy already and if you come then maybe we won't get in.

If you do go, try the Cornish Game Hen on crispy baked brussel sprout leaves served with wild rice, or maybe the Calamari Noodles, or the Duck Rilette, or the Lamb Bolognese Paparadelle, or the whipped eggplant and pita chips, or the amazing Blackened Catfish.

Actually, it's probably too hard to choose. You better go someplace else.

Actually, I have one and only one negative. The wine list could be improved. But the beer selection has a zillion microbrewed beers on tap.