“Black Birch - Kittery Maine”
Review of The Black Birch

The Black Birch
Ranked #9 of 71 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Set in a one story retired brick post office, The Black Birch has an unassuming exterior. The interior is modern minimalist balanced by reclaimed wood and hand blown glass lighting. Outdoors is a hidden gem of a beer garden.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went to the Black Birch in Kittery, Maine for the first time this week. Beer selection is top notch and comes with a great description for each unique selection....no having to fumble around with the wait staff to figure it out. Food was awesome with a great twist on appetizers and lite fair. Prices were very reasonable for high end food. The restaurant is a little small, so be careful about going on a busy night....this was a Wednesday and we had a small wait - the place was full!
The best thing was the bar has a turntable and they play vinyl records! How cool is that. The restaurant was a little loud, but it just made everyone at our table focus on the conversation. Definitely recommend this place and will go back again soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My friends have been recommending this place for awhile, and I finally made it there and I'm glad I did!! It is a lil difficult to find if you don't know the area, as the sign is inside the front door. I sat at the bar, and enjoyed some delicious craft beers recommended by the bartender (who was also an owner I found out later.) I indulged in a couple of apps: duck rillette with baguettes and the white corn polenta fries...they were yummy! After having the coffee porter, I decided to order dinner: deep-fried short rib with celeriac puree and horseradish cream.....this was AMAZING!!! The rib was cooked perfect! Horseradish cream complimented it nicely! Oh and the puree was so smooth and delish, I wanted more! The portion was perfect for a small plate! When I first walked in, they had a chalkboard with specials...what caught my eye?....Chocolate-hazelnut bread pudding!! You bet I saved room for that!! It was decadently delicious!!!! Tons of crunch and the favor was out of this world! I believe there was a bourbon sauce on it also!! Suberb!!
The music was played from a record player at the bar!!! It was a nice touch for sure. Excellent service by Ben and Al; they had helpful beer/food recommendations, and made me feel right at home for my first visit. I can't wait to return!!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I went here with my wife and friends for my Birthday. We were the first people in the door when it opened. The interior of the bar was great, they did a nice job converting the old post office into a bar. Probably could use a bigger sign out front as it is easy to miss. In any case, the bartender was very knowledgeable about the various (rotating) beers. They have a tap list of I;d estimate to be around 20 beers, but it is 20 interesting beers, not your standards. If your looking for frosty pints of mass produced yellow beer, this is not your place. We tried several small plates and were not disappointed. The Eggs 3 ways was a great cheap treat on an old favorite. The Poutine/Duck Confit was amazing, and I highly recommend. Also had the Polenta fries and finally the homemade sugar donuts. The whole experience was fantastic and I can't wait to go again. The Bartender is also the DJ and played some great vinyl and was happy to talk to us about a variety of topics. At the end I asked to buy a t-shirt and he gave me one for my birthday. Overall I give this place my highest endorsements for friendliness, cleanliness, staff attentiveness, great taplist and good value.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

All the dishes we had were DELICIOUS...fresh & flavorful. Great beer menu, yummy dessert and pleasant friendly staff.

1  Thank Celeste M
Reviewed August 30, 2012

At 10:06 I'm eating a peanut sandwich since Black Birch failed to serve dinner after waiting an hour and 15 minutes after ordering. What ruins a night? A staff that can't handle a simple dinner order. We had to flag down our waitress to order dinner at 8:30. Two small kids at home, Crying. My brother's birthday dinner ruined and went home hungry-first time in over 20 years. Asking a waitress three times that we need out dinner. "We got busy and couldn't handle the orders at 8:30 on a Thursday night". So we sat and waited. sipping our wine and hungry. Finally at 9:25 we had to leave. Ben the manager came out as we were leaving. No apologies. No excuses. "You have a bad attitude and need to pay the 10 dollar bill or you are committed a crime" All these hippy guys think that they rule the world when in fact, they just need to treat people respectfully. If we had received an apology from him. They wanted to bring us another round of wine which at that point, would have been illegal since we had no food and already had one. I sincerely hope that someday these owners, Ben etc. "get it" and understand it's not hard to deal with customers. Threatening them and calling them names isn't the answer. Good luck with your "deviled eggs and your discussing beard". Hope he isn’t in the kitchen with that thing without a net.

3  Thank robin b