“Planned to take my brother out for 10 years and failed. Worse night due to Black Birch.”
Review of The Black Birch

The Black Birch
Ranked #9 of 71 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Set in a one story retired brick post office, The Black Birch has an unassuming exterior. The interior is modern minimalist balanced by reclaimed wood and hand blown glass lighting. Outdoors is a hidden gem of a beer garden.
Reviewed August 30, 2012

At 10:06 I'm eating a peanut sandwich since Black Birch failed to serve dinner after waiting an hour and 15 minutes after ordering. What ruins a night? A staff that can't handle a simple dinner order. We had to flag down our waitress to order dinner at 8:30. Two small kids at home, Crying. My brother's birthday dinner ruined and went home hungry-first time in over 20 years. Asking a waitress three times that we need out dinner. "We got busy and couldn't handle the orders at 8:30 on a Thursday night". So we sat and waited. sipping our wine and hungry. Finally at 9:25 we had to leave. Ben the manager came out as we were leaving. No apologies. No excuses. "You have a bad attitude and need to pay the 10 dollar bill or you are committed a crime" All these hippy guys think that they rule the world when in fact, they just need to treat people respectfully. If we had received an apology from him. They wanted to bring us another round of wine which at that point, would have been illegal since we had no food and already had one. I sincerely hope that someday these owners, Ben etc. "get it" and understand it's not hard to deal with customers. Threatening them and calling them names isn't the answer. Good luck with your "deviled eggs and your discussing beard". Hope he isn’t in the kitchen with that thing without a net.

3  Thank robin b
There are newer reviews for The Black Birch

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just love the food choices on (and off) the menu; creative takes on familiar foods. Very casual, relaxed atmosphere with some nice energy and great music. Excellent beer and wine list as well. Get there early or be prepared to wait-even the bar fills up very quickly.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Had plans to go to Anneka Jans but ended up at the Black Birch. What a nice surprise!! We ordered 5 different things off of the small plate menu and not one thing disappointed us. Great food, great drinks, great atmosphere. The poutine is the best EVER!!!!!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great spot for good interesting food. Cool bar and decor. Lots of appealing options - everything we had was great. And great value for the money.

2 govt - a coctail with whiskey, lemon, orange peel and bitters
my wife had water with lemon - she liked it
bacon and bleu mac and cheese - yummy
green beans with soy, ginger and garlic - a pretty easy standard
red snapper, polenta, corn broth, and creamed asparagus served in a bowl as something like a stew - excellent flavor combination

great beer selection as well

my only recommendation relates to the service. everything we ordered came out at the same time. will try to remember to ask them to sequence it next time. also we split everything we order and only got 2 side plates. its a little bit of a drag to have to mix flavors up on the same plate. the snapper was also soup like so couldn't really go on a side plate.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have to start of with saying until last night I loved this place. I have recommended it to family and friends time and again. However last night our experience was horrible. It started with the owner asking us if we would like to on the waiting list for the bar. I don't know about any one else. But really I just wanted a drink and a spot to sit with my company and talk. I could see if it was really busy and there was a line. How ever on walking in there was no line and it looked a little busy.
After this a nice bartender offered to allow us to sit in the garden out back. This was after we had stood there drinking half of our drinks. When we walked out back I felt. Oh good they are recouping this horrible feeling I have been having since the owner so Pompously had greeted us.
It started off nice we ordered the egg starter and another drink. The drink came right away. The eggs we had to ask about a few times before we received them. We had to get a menu from the people sitting next to us at the shared table. We ordered and a different server brought our food right out very nice. But our waiter never came back to check on us. We wanted a glass of water and another drink for about 30-40 min before we just decided to get up and go pay and leave. No one offered us a check I had to ask the owner for our bill then wait another 5 min to get it. I was inline waiting to pay with a couple other people who had a very similar experience. I told them that I felt our experience was sub par at best and I felt bad because I really normal enjoyed there establishment. There was no comment returned. No apology nothing. Just "have a good night."
I feel after this experience, they do not value me as a customer and I will give them a year to sort out there staffing and service issues. Lets see if its the same next July 3rd. In the mean time I can not in recommend this to anyone! Stay away!!!
Go to Anneke Jans instead. There bar service was grrrreat! We went there next. I will start and stay there next time.

2  Thank LifeIsGrandBytheSEA
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review The Black Birch. It troubles me that we were unable to provide an enjoyable experience for you on your last visit.

We experienced staffing issues on that day, and I believe your experience was a singular one. If my being harried came across as anything other than that, I apologize.

I look forward to your return visit, until then thank you for supporting business in Kittery.

Regretfully,