“Great lobster experience”

Morrison's Lobsters
Ranked #30 of 71 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Lobster in the Rough. We have outdoor seating on the Pier and also some indoor seating. Located on the Piscataqua River near the Memorial Bridge. We have been here since the late 1980's. Serving Lobsters, Steamed Clams, Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder, Lobster Bisque, etc. It is BYOB, Cash Only and Dog Friendly.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I love Morrison's! I live in Boston and go to Portsmouth/Kittery at least a couple times a year, just to go to Morrison's. It's not fancy, but it's very laid back setting to eat great lobster and enjoy the outdoors.

I also love the fact that it's BYOB - makes for the most affordable lobster dinner you could hope for.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have been to Morrison's several times and have been more than satisfied each time. Morrison's is not really a restaurant but rather a lobster pound who will cook up and serve your lobster for you at tables on the dock looking out to Portsmouth Harbor. Over time they have added steamers (the freshest and sweetest I have ever eaten), lobster rolls (chock full and made up fresh to order), and clam chowder (thick and delicious). Run by two women who do all the cooking and serving, it is a very casual and personal atmosphere. Since it is limited in food, people are encouraged to bring their own appetizers, sides, beverages, and food for the non-seafood lovers in your group. It is not cheap. Since the lobsters are bought fresh daily from local fishermen, expect to pay more than your local grocery store chain. Set-up fees and gratuities are also added in. It is worth the price, however, for great ambiance, views, and above all, fresh New England lobsta's.

1  Thank Audrey W
Reviewed August 30, 2012

After reading the reviews, that was my choice for lobster destination....the view is beautiful. That is it.
First you get charged a $3.50/person fee for them to cook you lobster (for me this is a sitting down fee). And the tip is mandatory, that would be okay if the service was decent.
The menu was confusing, I ordered a 1/2 bisque 1/2 chowder priced at $6.50 for the large one, but i was charged $13.00 for it. You get one large container but you are charged like you got two...it doesn't even make sense. And to find out that the bisque/chowder comes from a can!
Then we ordered 3lb lobsters, as told us by the waiter hard shell meaning meat all the way. Her own words.
We got the lobsters, fresh yes, but not hard shell at all. The amount of meat in the whole thing was laughable.
We told the waitress, in a nice way. The manager/owner comes over and tells me that the waiter never told us hard shell, but firm to hard. Semantics!
And since she buys like that from a wholesale place, nothing she could do.
I never felt so out of place in a restaurant in my whole life...the manager, in a nice way, is basically saying that I am lying and it is my own risk to buy food at her place.
The small setting of the tables made the whole situation even more embarrassing. All the other dinners looking at us like we were from another planet.
Her main concern the whole time was about getting a good review.
At the end, she took 6.00 dollars of the bill...Total unsatisfactory dinner for two cost 107.53 and comes with a bitter aftertaste.

12  Thank Gabriela S
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Lobsters, Steamers, Lobster Bisque, Clam chowder...Absolutely the best. Steamed clams so clean no broth is needed. Try the half and half, which is half clam chowder, half lobster bisque.
The real reason to eat at Morrison's though is the lobster; perfectly cooked every time, whether you pick a 1 1/4 pound or 3 pounder. We live local, so we are able to enjoy this hidden gem several times each summer. Normally we would want to keep it a secret so we would be able to always get a table but it is so good we do not want you to miss it if traveling or even a resident in the area.
BYOB and cash only.
The setting is rustic, outdoor dining on the dock with beautiful views of Portsmouth NH skyline.
Reasonably priced. Besides BYOB, you can bring your own bread for dipping and dessert or anything else that is not on the menu.
Donna and Jenna are the best - friendly and very attentive.
Sit back and relax as you enjoy authentic New England lobster in the rough.

1  Thank RussH
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Morrison's Lobsters is...... simply great! Visiting from a big city, this is the kind of place I envisioned as the ideal summer New England spot. The outdoor deck atmosphere is wonderful with striking river and Portsmouth skyline views. The menu may be simple but the food is the real deal AND reasonably priced. The laid back service is welcomed - especially when offered by the charming owner and her young protege (who I originally mistook for a mother-daughter team). Don't let the the extra couple of minutes it takes to get there because of the 2012 bridge repair hold you back from checking this place out.