“Food could be better but the staff was nice enough”
Review of The Firefly Diner

The Firefly Diner
Ranked #23 of 71 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed September 8, 2013

After driving for a while we were hungy and this happened to be on the way. When we stopped the sign said cash only, ATM next door at gas station, not a huge deal but just a heads up unless you bank waives ATM fee's or you happen to be the few who still carry cash (more than $20) add the fee's to your food bill. When we entered there was no one there but 2 waitresses dancing to the radio. We sat and looked over the menu, basic stuff eggs bacon, sandwiches and burgers. After ordering we were told twice the stuff we wanted was out so we ahd to pick stuff we really didnt want. The food was OK could be a lot better but not bad. The price is 6-9 for everything and the coffee is good. All in all its ok if your starving and on a budget!

1  Thank eyva0604

Reviewed August 1, 2013

A little hole in the wall for breakfast, privately run, trying really hard. We enjoyed everyone's efforts and the meal was good....

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stopped for a late lunch on a Sunday afternoon. There were only 5 tables of diners, and after waiting 30 minutes, two of those tables, including ours had not been served. We inquired about how much longer it would be, and were told that the cook had not started on lobster roll and cheeseburger yet.
So we paid for our beverages and left.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We decided to try the Fire Fly because a friend recommended it. The diner was practically empty for a Sunday morning, which should have been our first clue. We were greeted immediately, but we waited a fair amount time to place our order and unreasonable amount of time for the food to arrive, especially since they were empty. My friend and I both ordered eggs benedict. The poached eggs were not cooked well; the whites were very runny. The english muffin was not toasted or grilled. My friend asked for spinach (as indicated on the menu), but her meal didn't come with it. The waitress waited until we were nearly finished to come back over to ask how everything was. I had to ask for a refill on the coffee. The homefries were the highlight. There was nothing special about them, but they were cooked. All that was needed was a little seasoning.

I read the other reviews from last year. Maybe things have changed? I would say I am a food snob, but I don't believe I have unreasonable expectations for breakfast. However, I do want my food cooked.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I were starving and stopped in on the way to Portland, ME. It's a no frills diner and weren't expecting much. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and cheese grits. My boyfriend had eggs over medium, bacon, toast and one banana pancake. The server was really friendly and called everybody "honey" or "sweetheart." She did warn me that the grits would take about 10-15 minutes and I thought that was nice.. I decided that was fine. The food was fine. I mean, it's breakfast. We weren't wowed, but eggs are eggs and bacon is bacon. The grits weren't bad at all and the pancake was pretty good. It's not the super fluffy kind, but a bit crisp on the edges and thin, but tasty. If you're looking for a culinary experience, this isn't it, but we got food in a timely manner and the our particular server was nice.

1  Thank JananaJo