“It is, what it is.”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I were starving and stopped in on the way to Portland, ME. It's a no frills diner and weren't expecting much. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and cheese grits. My boyfriend had eggs over medium, bacon, toast and one banana pancake. The server was really friendly and called everybody "honey" or "sweetheart." She did warn me that the grits would take about 10-15 minutes and I thought that was nice.. I decided that was fine. The food was fine. I mean, it's breakfast. We weren't wowed, but eggs are eggs and bacon is bacon. The grits weren't bad at all and the pancake was pretty good. It's not the super fluffy kind, but a bit crisp on the edges and thin, but tasty. If you're looking for a culinary experience, this isn't it, but we got food in a timely manner and the our particular server was nice.

1  Thank JananaJo
There are newer reviews for The Firefly Diner

Reviewed March 24, 2013

First, the waitress who took my order was friendly but extremely overworked. There were two waitresses, but the second one seemed to only deliver food to the tables. My waitresses bussed tables, took orders, made fresh coffee, and took payments. Way too much for onr person to handle when it got busy.

I ordered a sandwich and a cup of soup. After waiting a while, I was told they did not have the soup I requested. OK, I chose another. The second waitress brought out my order. When I looked at the sandwich all by itself on the plate she said "oh, chips come with that". I hear ghe two waitresses talking and there are no chips, unless one of them goes out and buys some next door. So I didn't get chips. OK. I taste the soup, and the seasoning is very strong. I take a bite of the sandwich, and the whole bottom of it is soggy. Why?? I was hungry (didn't have breakfast), so I ate it.

I feel bad for the waitress I had. She deserves better. But, I have to say go somewhere else. It's just not good food.

1  Thank carport4
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the worst place I have ever been to. My boyfriend and I went here before we stopped at the outlets for the day. It took us over 5 minutes to even be acknowledged at the door. When we were finally seated we were greeted by an unhappy server. It took an hour to get an omelette and French toast. The omelette was over cooked and dry and the French toast was raw. We sent back the French toast and the cook who also happens to be the owner came out and argued with us about it being cooked and blamed it on the almond extract. They are also microwave happy in the kitchen horrible food and service. I would rather eat fast food!

Don't go here waste of money and time!

2  Thank Garciaac8
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Went here since TA had solid reviews. Either these people who are reviewing this have not had good food or I went to a restaurant posing as the Fire Fly. Want breakfast within 15 minutes of this place that rocks, try Pepperland in S. Berwick off of 236, need to be more south then do The Friendly Toast. Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives would laugh at this place. Want to go maybe 3 minutes further down the road go to the When Pigs Fly for lunch or go to Coco Locos in Kittery, a millions times better. You guys who gave this a good review made me waste my time, I am not a food snob but come on now, and the atmosphere bah.

2  Thank BBrutus
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Fire Fly is located in a strip mall and is easy to overlook. When you walk in, you might be put off by the mismatched furniture that looks like a giant yard sale, but don't let that influence you. This is a throw-back diner that gives both great food and great service.

Our waitress, dressed in a Harley tee shirt and calling everyone "Honey," was terrific. When we asked her about the lobster roll special, she advised us to order something else. I had a tuna melt on sour dough and the cheese was MELTED. It was great! My sister enjoyed a BLT that was perfectly prepared. Both came with chips and pickles and our great waitress brought the pickles in a separate plastic cup so that their juice wouldn't get onto our sandwiches. She was solicitous, funny, and kind, and ga e us a Lindt chocolate when we left.

The Fire Fly was clean, and as noted in another review, the use of butter was plentiful. However, it is a DINER, not a health food restaurant. If you want real diner food, this is the place to go!