“Love this store”

Kittery Trading Post
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Kittery
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors entering our store will enjoy shopping a vast selection of brand name recreational gear, clothing, footwear and specialty gifts for the entire family. Walk upstairs and immerse yourself in outdoor gear & sport-specific apparel for a wide range of outside activities-camping, hiking, paddling, cycling, skiing, snowshoeing & more! Our upper level is also home to one of the most recognized & extensive shooting sports department in New England. Downstairs, an entire level of fresh/saltwater fishing tackle & accessories awaits! You'll find rods, reels, lines, lures, fly fishing & fly tying gear to capture the attention of avid fishers everywhere. We invite you to browse & shop our family store in Kittery; where no matter the season or reason, you can count on our staff for the resources, knowledge and personal service to make your outdoor adventures enjoyable, successful & memorable.
Reviewed April 16, 2014

When ever we travel to Maine if for just one night or for a weeks vacation. Our first stop is always at Kittery Trading Post. This is one of our favorite stores in all of Maine. The employees are always very helpful and courteous. Keep up the great job.

All reviews
"outdoors person"
in 6 reviews
"worth a stop"

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have been shopping here since the mid-80s and the place only gets better. It has something for everyone: an extensive clothing and shoe department for all ages, a souvenir store with quite good prices and extensive gun, camping, watersports and fishing departments. They also have Septemberfest which is a fun time, a lot of exhibitions and a sale tent with really great bargins.

Their gun department is bigger than Reily's and Shooter's Outpost in Hookset New Hampshire and, in my opinion, has a much better overall selection. I am not saying that Reily's or Shooter's Outpost are bad, they are both great stores. But the KTP has far more used guns, older used guns, many at really good prices. Reily's doesn't have nearly as many used guns and Shooters Outpost has only a smattering of them. KTP, of course, also has an extensive selction of new guns.

The KTP also has great bargain areas. They have inexpensive used accessories (a bin of used holsters, another bin of forends and stocks and grips). My favorite bargain area is the miscellaneous ammo section, it is on the wall near the reloading equipment. They have small lots of regular calibers, partially full boxes of regular calibers and some esoteric calibers and manufacturers as well. The last time I was there they had partial and full boxes of 338 Win. Mag, 25-06, a full box of 416 Rigby, a box of 220 Swift handloads from 1949 (according to the penciled notes on the box), Fiocchi 32 ACP and a coupla boxes of 45-90s. This is only a small sample of what was there (it was all I could remember). They also have a large selection of new Randalls in stock as well as many used knives (including a Randall Smithsonian Bowie when I was there).

Our routine has often been for me to go to the KTP while the rest of my family went to the rest of the Kittery outlets. We would then meet at the Weathervane, which is across the street, for a meal.

This place is not to be missed.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

we were there a couple of years back -are heading that way again and are making a point to return this year -if you like the out doors or just great clothing and decor a must see

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Kittery is the gateway to Maine, so whenever you travel up north, it's a natural stop. Kittery Trading Post is located right on Route 1, very easy to find. If you're into any kind of outdoor activity, you must come and see the amazing selection of equipment here. And even if you're not in an active lifestyle the clothing alone is worth the trip. While KTP does not produce its own brand, the selection at the store equals the other well-known New England outfitters such as L L Bean and Cabela's. All the major manufacturers' wares are offered in every category, at competitive prices, including Old Town canoes and kayaks and Carhartt outerwear to name a couple. I find, living just up the road as I do, that you can get good deals here, with frequent sales and promotions. I always shop here when I'm looking for something of high quality, especially for gifts.
KTP is a good family destination. There are displays to interest the kids, including a huge stuffed moose and many other examples of taxidermy, plus Maine gifts, shirts, postcards, and fudge if you need a one-stop source. If you have plenty of time and Mom wants to visit the Malls along Route 1 for a wonderful variety of discount shopping experiences, that's OK, Dad can hang out at KTP for hours, browsing the huge gun department upstairs and the fishing department downstairs. When it's time to eat, walk to one of many good choices nearby. There's a seasonal fast food concession right outside, or what I think is the best fried seafood anywhere right next door at Bob's Clam Hut, with a real Maine vacation atmosphere, or a more upscale meal at Robert's, just across the road, where you'll have a view down Spruce Creek of the most beautiful scenery in Kittery.
By the way, if you need a place to stay in Kittery or a look at other Maine attractions, the Maine Information Center is accessible a short distance north on Route 1.