“Lovely experience in a Kingfield farmhouse”

Mountain Village Farm B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Kingfield B&B and Inns
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Lovely experience in a Kingfield farmhouse”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

A few of the previous reviews made me wonder whether I should book here on my first visit to Kingfield, but very glad I did. Spent two restful summer nights with on a comfortable bed (in the Brackley Room) with a fresh breeze streaming through open windows, woke to the sounds of happy poultry and enjoyed delicious, wholesome breakfasts. Staying on the farm was cozy and quaint--really a treat for a suburban girl. Lisa is warm and helpful; her solid good taste is reflected in the room decor and in the numerous paintings throughout the inn. Thank you for a lovely stay! Hope to be back next summer. (Sorry, we ski Utah!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Maynard, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed at the Mountain Village Farm B&B, it was charming. Authentic farmhouse with beautiful appointed bedrooms, very comfortable beds and pillows. Typical New England farmhouse, with a couple of dogs and farm animals. Clean and welcoming. Lisa was the hostess, she showed us our rooms and was extremely friendly. Great restaurant she recommended about 8 miles away called Trufilio's - excellent Itailan menu and food, it was busy! No air conditioning in the B&B but a very nice reading room!

Room Tip: No A/C in the rooms, very comfortable beds and pillows.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were attending a wedding at the Sugarloaf Mountain Resort and wanted a place to stay that was a little closer to home (Sugarloaf is 5 hours away from us) and that accepted pets. We found the Sugarloaf Mountain Resort on-line and called to book a reservation. From the first phone call to our arrival and through our departure, Lisa was friendly, courteous, and helpful. She greeted us by name when we pulled up and her two dogs, Skeeter and Cisco, were there to welcome us, as well.

We stayed in The Brackley Room, which is beautifully decorated and painted a rich and restful taupe. A nicely proportioned room, we found the bed to be extremely comfortable. The windows provided a pleasant cross-breeze; and the private bathroom was warm and cozy. There was a funky smell at the bottom of the stairs leading to the guest rooms, but the room itself was fresh and clean.

It is a farm, so we were awakened by the sounds of a rooster crowing, but we found it added to the experience. Breakfast was plentiful and we shared three thick slices of delicious French toast and three fresh eggs from the farm's chickens. We found Lisa to be attentive and she was very conscious to keep the coffee flowing.

Should our travels bring us back to Sugarloaf, we would definitely take advantage of the hospitality at the Mountain Village Farm B&B.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 29, 2011

The Mountain Village Farm Bed & Breakfast is located only 2 minutes from downtown Kingfield, Maine. It's a great 'base of operations' for those adventurers who want quick access to the ski slopes at Sugarloaf or the snow shoe trails at Maine Huts and Trails. The B&B is very charming (old farm house) with excellent room accommodations. I spent one evening in the Brackley Farm Room which I highly recommend. The room was very clean with a nice soft bed and private full bath.

I can't say enough about the B&B owner Lisa Standish. I went to Kingfield that weekend to snow shoe with friends at Maine Huts. Unfortunately, my directions from MapQuest to Maine Huts were poor and I ended up getting my car stuck in snow about 1/8 of a mile down an unmaintained road. Unable to reach my friends, I decided to call Lisa who graciously brought her friend to help dig my car out. When that proved futile, Lisa allowed me stay in her B&B living room as I made calls to AAA and local towing services in the area. By 4:00 PM my car was towed out and brought to safety.

Lisa and her friend did everything to help a complete stranger. Many thanks to Lisa for easing my anxiety over my car and personal safety...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Bruins19
halifax, NS
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I guess I expected more reading other reviews about Lisa's B&B. The drive to the hill seemed too, too long. I chose the least expensive room that was billed as the room for independant travelers with children, with a picture showing a "kitchen".The beds were comfortable and the bkfst was very good(2nds would have been nice) these are the only good things I can say.The lack of fridge as advertised in each room was the first disappointment, and the kitchen cupboards were empty.There is a common fridge in the kitchen downstairs. It held alot of beer and the hard liquor which was easily accessable above on open shelving (not a great sight for my 11yr who kept her juice etc in this fridge). Maybe this is why other guests found her friendly and helpful. I found her cold and stiff except when we departed I saw the warmth. Second evening at 6:30 we wanted to go to the front room but had to pass thro the kitchen where Lisa and Richard "who lives there" were eating and 15 min later my daughter felt so uncomfortable she wanted to go back upstairs. When we arrived it was made very clear that the front room and the room with plants were our options to hang out. The large kitchen with the tables in front of the picture window was off limits except to eat bkfst and that was where a TV was and thus we had no access, imagine with kids, it was different. There was no telephone in our room. The dogs like to bark at each approaching car, and there were several thro the pm and my window, which was open for the fresh air, was right above the din, so much for an early night's sleep to hit the slopes. Also there was a very,very foul odor that eminated fm downstairs that really ruined the experience for me and after two nights that were prepaid, we moved to Sugarloaf condos. I much better value for your dollar and way more enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank 10sunshine
lalustandish, Owner at Mountain Village Farm B&B, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Oh dear!
This guest seemed to enjoy her stay while here.
Most innkeepers do not take children because of the transfer of responsibility that can occur. Often instruction is necessary for the child's own safety which was unfortunately the case for this unattended little girl. Her reaction to being guided out of the busy kitchen during breakfast preparation set the tone for their visit.
Most of my guests choose to stay off-mountain because of the incredibly scenic 15 miles drive to the ski resort. Coming around "Oh My Gosh!" corner is an incredible sight to behold.
Breakfast meals here are hardy, healthy and home-cooked. No one needs to leave unsatisfied.
It is so unfortunate that this guest drove 700 miles to get here only to be so unhappy. She was better suited to a corporate hotel experience.
Boston
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We arrived at this B&B inn without a reservation and were welcomed warmly by the owner, Lisa and her dogs. The house was nicely decorated with interesting art and comfortable furniture. Our room and bath were clean and the bed was especially comfortable and cozy. It's more than you might expect- monogrammed sheets, Jacuzzis, terry guest robes!. Lisa served us a delicious hardy breakfast which we ate while gazing out a huge window wall at the surrounding mountains. Lovely experience! We will repeat.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MassMaineLover
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I made a reservation through a web interface and agreed to the terms and conditions which stated that if I cancel within 2 weeks of the stay, I would be responsible for the charge unless the room happened to be booked by someone else.

What was not clear was that I would also be charged 'in advance' the full amount of the stay. When I noticed the charge on my credit card statement, I immediately contacted Lisa Standish to question this. It didn't make sense to me to pay extra 2.5 weeks of advance credit card interest for a stay that had not yet happened.

Instead of addressing this question with an explanation, she immediately sent an email saying that my reservation had been canceled. She then enforced the 2 week rule and charged me the full amount of the stay - despite several attempts on my part to address this with her via phone and email. I didn't cancel the reservation - she did - and the basis of my communication was to express that I was not properly informed of the pay-in-advance requirement.

I can't honestly speak to the physical environment at this lodging facility - I'm sure its gorgeous - but the customer service you should expect is pretty clear.

Lisa should change careers and go into contract law. While extremely effective in exploiting a contractual loop hole, she is completely lacks any sense of customer service, hospitality or warmth.

If you care about customer service, and the hospitality with which you will be received, I would highly recommend you go elsewhere. There are plenty of great B&B options in Maine.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank kennedan
lalustandish, owner at Mountain Village Farm B&B, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
This man made a reservation but did not stay here. Once booked, I held his room off the market for several days until he asked to have his reservation deposit refunded. Since rooms cannot be held unsecured, his only option was to cancel. Because he was within a 14 day cancellation period his deposit would be refunded if the room could be resold. He had been clearly and repeatedly apprised in print of my cancellation policy. I have carefully reviewed all communications between us and am satisfied that I was professional and dignified throughout. My cancellation policy is stated clearly on my web site and again in every single reservation confirmation I send out. I have greeted thousands of people from all over the world for many years and find the vast majority is good-natured, intelligent dignified, and lovely. In my substantial experience in dealing with the traveling public, this man was an anomaly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingfield
Herbert Grand Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carrabassett Valley
Spillover Motel
Spillover Motel
#1 of 3 in Stratton

Been to Mountain Village Farm B&B? Share your experiences!