Herbert Grand Hotel
$169
Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel(Carrabassett Valley)(Great Value!)
$148
$133
Sugarloaf Inn(Carrabassett Valley)
$89
Hotels.com
$95
TripAdvisor
All reviewsstep back in timenew ownersbeautiful lobbyrooms are smallenjoyed my staysugarloaf mountainplace to sleepone night stayshort drivedesktelephonemainecomfortskifireplacedresserrelaxation
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I spent two nights here over my Christmas vacation. It was an awesome place to stay and a great experience all around. The staff were helpful and fun to talk to. Right across the street was a nice place to eat. I had a basic room with a queen. It was simple, but it had everything I needed, and it was very clean. I liked the fact that the only tv in the place was down in the big comfy lobby. A nice big tv that encourages people to come down and spend time down there with other people rather than in their rooms alone. Also, my dog was welcomed in the hotel for a one-time fee. I was all-around happy and impressed with my stay at the Herbert Grand.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a trip to Sugarloaf. About thirty minutes from Sugarloaf. So historic (without making a big deal about it). Right across the street from a nice restaurant and ski rentals next door. Staff so friendly. Great stop. We will be back!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Over the years, I have stayed in the Herbert perhaps a dozen times. It is like coming home. The first two iterations of the hotel burned down and the "new" hotel was built in 1919. Does it have glitz, plastic furniture and the deadening conformity of institutional chain lodging? Of course not. I has charm, incredible woodwork and the evidence of what life was like in a quieter, nicer time. There are hand-crank telephones in the rooms (inoperable, but doesn't everyone carry a mobile phone these days)? It has a fine dining room and lobby where the weary traveler can sup well and get to know his temporary neighbors. Dawn, the manager, is on top of everything, very pleasant and makes everything work right. My room had a jacuzzi, big screen television and wifi. I stayed a week. It does not have a fitness center, but days walking in the woods or skiing Sugarloaf will quickly take care of that. The Herbert is a nice step back from the banality of modern lodging. I'll be back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms around the stairwell are warmer in the winter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We spent a week in this fine old hotel. We enjoyed every day. Rooms were comfortable, service was great and the hotel manager went out of her way to make us feel right at home. My friends and I enjoyed our evenings in front of the fire place in the refurbished living room.We'll be back next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I spent the week at the Herbert and had a wonderful stay. As an old, stately hotel there is a feeling of going back in time. The lobby is a great meeting place with comfortable couches and a warm fire.

Dawn, the manager, was extremely welcoming and attentive. She went way out of her way to make us welcome and comfortable.

As a turn of the century building, the rooms and amenities are era appropriate. While old, everything was spotlessly clean. Don't expect glitz, just a relaxing, comfortable trip back in time

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business