“Needs TLC and elbow grease”

Herbert Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kingfield
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The exterior is beautiful, the lobby is gorgeous, the hallways/staircase were well-kept, but once the door to the guest room was opened, it was another story. The room needed some serious cleaning. I can take outdated carpet and linoleum, tv, and room decorations, but the stained bathtub, dirty carpet, and bedspread was gross. I was disappointed. I am perplexed that others think the rooms were gorgeous. There were four rooms booked for a family function and all of them were unkempt. There is free, on-site parking, free wifi, a restaurant across the street, and a package store walking distance away. I should have known the rooms were not great when there are no pictures of them on the website. Also, there is no elevator or rooms on the first floor. If you are unable to do stairs, forget it. It would be nice if the owner could capture the charm of the lobby and hallways in the guest rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ilovebeets2012

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The entrance closes at 10:00 but the very nice lady who manages the hotel waited for me to arrive after that. The lobby and halls are like well manicured history. The rooms are not as updated but are decent. It sounds like they plan to continue improvements. I would stay here again if I am in this lovely area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ray C
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a treat - the whole main street was like a scene out of The Andy Griffith Show. The owners have wisely kept MANY original elements and have - again wisely - not re-habbed the character out of this place. No frills, but #312 was a large comfy room with an electric fireplace and jacuzzi tub - nice touches. It was quiet - even facing the street and with a wedding party occupying several rooms, it was a quiet night. We were just passing through the area, but we were charmed enough to return. We were surprisingly pleased by the hotel, the neighborhood and also the restaurant across the street (Longfellows? it was very good).

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank SavoirClaire
Reviewed June 13, 2012

An exceptionaly well preserved hotel from the old days. The service and room was great. Looking foward to going back again sometime

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tmac1957
Reviewed March 22, 2012

You have been warned!!
Firstly, we paid $110 per night which we thought was reasonable for a ski area....until we got there.
The outside of the building looks nice, the lobby - old fashioned and in need of re-decorating - but ok.
The lady at the reception (mother of the owner) was friendly and asked us to let her know if there was anything she could do to make our stay more comfortable, but talked an awful lot!
The rooms are small, VERY dated and not particularly comfortable. It wasn't unclean, but not really clean if you know what I mean. I wish I'd bought something I could wear on my feet in the room, I contemplated leaving my socks on for the whole weekend!!
The bed- you almost fall over as you walk in the room and has disgusting, slippery bedding. I didn't really want the sheets on (wasn't sure if they were that clean) but I didn't have much choice as they kept on sliding off the also slippery sheet.
The bathroom had cracks in the wall, damp patches and a shower that sprayed everywhere except on my body and was very difficult to control the temp.
The loo had some dries urine at the base and there were a few dark hairs found (we are both fair haired!!!!)
There is nowhere in the hotel to get a hot drink or anything to eat.
All in all, pretty awful. I would only stay there again if it was $50 per night and if I was skiing all day that I spent no time there. No value for money!
Apologies for the long description but from the 4 out of 5 stars on tripadvisor, we were led into believing it wasn't great but ok....this is not the case!

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Nia V
Reviewed March 10, 2012

This place is perfect. After a day on the slopes it was so nice to sit in the comfortable, charming lobby talking with friend over a game of cards and a good selection of drinks. The service is top notch. We have already. Booked our next stay.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Jim654
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The Herbert is a warm and friendly hotel within easy driving distance of the beautiful Sugarloaf Area. The staff really cares about the comfort of guests and took the time to make us feel welcomed. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The expansive lobby, wide staircases and high ceilings are impressive. The Herbert's idiosyncratic decor adds to the charm of the lovely historic Grand hotel.

Room Tip: There is a variety of rooms. When making a reservation, explain your preferences and the staff will...