We've been to the Nonantum quite a few times over the years. While it is not perfect, it has always been one of our favorite places to stay. We have stayed both within the Carriage House (main hotel) and the Portside. From the outside, the hotel is quite nice and the grounds are well kept. It' s location by the river flowing into the center of Kennebunkport is great! We use the pool, play a little shuffleboard, hang out in the Adirondack chairs, and play whiffle ball / catch / etc., while we are there. Inside the hotel lobby is nice as is the dining room. Otherwise, the guest rooms and the corridors leading to them show their age. Not dirty, but there is some peeling paint and they are really in need of an update. They do call themselves a "resort" but I guess I would call it more of an big, old, but still quaint hotel.
We've only eaten there for breakfast. They have a buffet breakfast that seems much better stocked during the weekend than during the week. This past week when we were there, we actually skipped the free breakfast to go out as we were disappointed from the previous day.
Other reviews might mention the plethora of wedding parties and such, and it seems every time we are there, another wedding party is rolling in or out. In all the times we have been there, we have not found them to be a bother. So yes, they are there, but I don't think they're a problem.
One of our favorite aspects of the hotel is that it is a relatively easy walk into the center of Kennebunkport, with shopping, restaurants, etc.
While my review might come across as somewhat negative, we really do have a pleasant time there and will keep returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Maine waterfront resort where traditions begin. The Nonantum has been welcoming guests with genuine hospitality since 1883. Enjoy historic charm with just the right modern comforts. Located on the Kennebunk River, along scenic Ocean Avenue, close to the shops and galleries in Dock Square, near Walker's Point and the beaches. Offering casually elegant accommodations, award-winning dining, family activities, and a gorgeous setting for special events. Seasonal outdoor heated pool, kayak rentals, trolley tours, scenic lobster boat tours, sailing tour and fishing charters departing right from the resort's on-site marina. Free WiFi, free parking, and free breakfast when you book directly with the resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Nonantum Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nonantum Resort Kennebunkport, Maine
- Nonantum Hotel Kennebunkport