“For $300 a Night, I expected someone to park my car and open the door!”
Review of Nonantum Resort

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Iowa
“For $300 a Night, I expected someone to park my car and open the door!”
Reviewed June 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in early June while attending a wedding that was held there. The ariel picture makes it look fantastic but the story is a bit different on the ground. The hotel almost feels like an old lady hotel. Flower print everywhere, old fashioned cook stove in the corner of the room?, hanging baskets of flowers outside, awful wall paper. Room was a nice size but I felt uncomfortable like I was sleeping at my grandma's house (funny smell and all). When we arrived, there was some sort of class reunion going on and we had to park in the grass/mud, in the rain. What does $300 a night get you these days? Where's the guy that opens the door? Nope -- there isn't one. Hotel in the middle of nowhere -- couldn't even get into the 'downtown' Pharmacy at 5:00 on a Saturday -- closed! We had to drive 20 minutes to Wal-Mart. Wedding was nice but I wouldn't recommend staying there unless you are 80.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank puthoff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My husband and I stumbled upon this place when we were done driving for the night on a road trip. The price was way less than we thought it should be. The hotel was great. It was so comfortable and clean. Our room had a balcony. The staff were very friendly.

Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAVJAV
Larchmont, NY
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We stayed at the Nonantum for 3 nights for a family wedding. The location is great, within walking distance of Dock Square, where there are tons of restaurants and shops. Our room in the Portside Lodge was large and nicely decorated, and had a small balcony with a view of the river. My one gripe about the room is that the bathroom is VERY small and has a shower with very very low water pressure. Other than that, the room was fine. A nice breakfast is included, and is served buffet style. There are some aspects of the hotel that are a little worn around the edges but everything is very clean.

Everyone on staff was extremely pleasant, helpful, and accommodating. Check in and check out were very quick, and the people at the front desk gave great restaurant recommendations.

It's a wonderful place to stay if you're there for a wedding. The staff is very accommodating to the wedding guests. But I can see how if you're not there for a wedding, having a whole bunch of people who know each other staying in one place could be annoying. The hotel does enforce quiet hours from 11 pm to 7 am, but I can tell you that they definitely cut the wedding party some slack in that department.

All in all, I would definitely come back to the Nonantum for a family get together. We had a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank NY12345
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed here as part of an excellent Caravan New England tour and this was a great disappointment rather than a highlight to end the tour on. Looking at the back of my bedroom door I saw that the room rate is $499. Rather than pay that, just shoot yourself - it will be less painful. Two words for this place - Pretentious Dump.

Never, ever come here on a Saturday. The place runs exclusively for wedding parties and your presence will go either unnoticed or be regarded as a nuisance by the hotel. Service is very hard to come by. For instance, our bedrooms were in a block about 100 yards from the main hotel where we needed to go for our dinner and it was pelting with rain. In this circumstance most hotels, good or bad, would have a bunch of golf unbrellas near the doors for their guests use. Not this place. I had to phone up reception twice and after some time a lady was dispatched to fetch us with a tiny and partially collapsed handbag brolly. Big enough to ferry the three of us in comfort? Hardly.

Pretty much everything was a disaster. You'd think they know how to serve lobster in Maine, right? Ours were just plonked on a plate and when wrenching them open about a pint of water poured out. And that wasn't just ours, there were about 30 of us there with dishes awash. I've had plenty of lobster and crab before but never seen anything like this. The pudding was dreadful too, just a mess thrown into dishes with no consideration at all. And this place thinks its something special? Breakfast was horrendous. Great long lines of people waiting out in reception to queue for everything. No cereal other than something unpleasant resembling hampster food chucked in a large unhygenic open dish. Then a 10 minute wait for bowls after which they bought precisely three! Then I found out there were no cereal spoons anyway. What a crummy dump.

Possibly you might get better treatment if you are not with a tour group but surely whatever rate is paid you should still be treated properly and with respect. This pompous, overrated place is only interested in easy money and seemed to regard us with barely disguised contempt. A bad memory of an otherwise wonderful tour.

• Stayed September 2008
8 Thank bognor
London
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Though a bit worn in places, the resort did not fail to charm me with a beautifully decorated 2-bedroom suite with great views overlooking the bay. Bathroom was smallish and breakfast a hit-and-miss affair, but the location and tranquility of the place more than made up for that.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ijnlg
New York
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We were looking for a nice place to take our family vacation. After settling on the Nonantum we were looking forward to visiting as it was our first trip to Maine. We specifically booked an efficiency type room with a kitchenette because we were traveling with our 2 kids and that way we could fix them a snack here or there without having to leave the property when they were too tired to go out after a day at the beach.

Upon our arrival and checking into our room it was not as we had booked. It was a regular hotel room. When we inquired they told us we had to wait until the next day when the person who booked it was there. The next morning it was explained that they only have 2 rooms with kitchenettes! and sorry but they are already occupied. They took a token off of our bill for that mistake. It also said on the website that it was newly remodeled "NOT!" the remodeling was done very shabbily.

To add insult to injury, when we checked out the rate we were charged was not the package rate we had booked and again an insincere "sorry" and there's nothing we can do for you. Obviously they are lacking in customer service. If you go to Maine my advice is don't stay there because it is not worth the money they charge.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
10 Thank cyclinggirl54
Washington DC
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My wife and I were married at the Nonantum on September 4th. I am going to try and filter this with an unbiased review, even though I am still glowing about marrying my bride. That being said, we brought over 150 people from DC, New York, and New England to Kennebunkport, most of whom stayed at the Nonantum. The feedback from all of them was extremely positive.
Most of the negative reviews that I have seen about this resort center around a negative experience by a guest not involved in a wedding being held there. From what I understand they do around 60 weddings a season. As a recent groom that did all of my wedding planning I can confirm that this a VERY sought after wedding venue. The positive side of that is that their staff is extremely proficient. I spent 12 months communicating and working with their staff and could not give them a better review. Professionalism, expertise, proficiency, and, above all else, a willingness to go above and beyond to make the customer happy are all terms I would use to describe the entire staff.
The grounds on the resort are immaculate; they are maintained daily by a dedicated staff. From the groundskeepers, to the housekeepers, to the bar and front desk staff, everyone there worked as hard as possible to ensure an enjoyable experience. Even when it came time to calm people down and ask them to quiet down (there are VERY strict quiet hours from 11PM-7AM throughout the entire town) it was done with respect and politeness.
The rooms are very quaint and clean. If you are lucky enough to get a water view room in the Portside Lodge, take my advice: leave the blinds OPEN! Words can not describe the beauty of waking up to the Kennebec river: amazing. House keeping was extremely attentive and provided two different cleanings a day. The staff at the front desk were always attentive and quick to provide advice on dining or local attractions. Breakfast was hot, free with your room, and delicious daily.
It's true that a lot of the resort's business is wedding related but you should not let that deter you. The weddings normally take place on weekends and usually outside on the grounds, near the river. If being in an environment that is catering to a wedding is something that could taint your vacation, then I would stick to the smaller B&B's. Either way, I would definitely recommend asking the staff if there is a scheduled wedding during your proposed stay. That way you know what you are getting into. I feel that most of the negative reviews were from people who expected a secluded and private stay and ended up having a wedding party to deal with. I can fully understand how that would skew someone's opinion of the resort. This is why i say be an informed traveler and understand what you have committed to. As long as you know that, there is no doubt that you will have an amazing stay at The Nonantum Resort. We truly feel like part of the family there.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank drewandfaer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#4 of 8 in Kennebunk
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#15 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!