“Lovely old inn” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Lovely old inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

I've stayed at the Nonantum three times (twice in the past year). I've been there in August, October, and early June. I paid once and was on a corporate account the last two times. The first and third time I was in the Portside. Last fall I was in the main building.

I really like the Nonantum. Yes, it is overpriced, but ALL of K'port is overpriced. I have always found the staff to be very helpful, very. Everyone is polite, smiles, and is usually efficient . Yes, some of the young staff are sometimes a bit rough very early in the season (the hotel closes for the winter). If you need something, they will do their best to get it for you. Want to borrow a corkscrew - even though you brought your own wine and aren't buying theirs ? Sure, no problem, keep it as long as you need. Happy to help.

Some of the rooms that I have seen are smallish. I've always liked all of mine. They have all been very attractive. My main building room was on the small side, but a colleague's tiny room made mine look huge. The Portside rooms are not all the same size, even though that is the impression from the outside. My 3rd floor room was smaller than my 2nd floor room. This June another colleague, who had paid for an upgrade - as had I, said my Portside room was a lot larger and nicer than his main building room AND his waterfront room was more epensive than mine. Maybe mgt knew I really liked the place and had recommended it to others?

The public rooms are attractive. There is a fireplace going when it is colder. There is a large porch out front where you can sit and rock and have a glass of wine. Oh, the hotel is on the river, not the ocean. The grounds are very attractive; the plants are not all in the ground in early June - this is Maine and the temp is still harmful to senstive plants in May. I love the old fashioned elevator. You go to Nonantum for atmosphere, not to get a cookie cutter Hilton or Hyatt room.

I definitely recommend it.

The downsides? As people have said the floor-ceiling insulation in the Portside isn't as good as it should be. The last time there were kids staying above me who ran around - starting at 5 in the morning. Evidently, it didn't bother their parents, because they never stopped them. When there's a wedding, they tend to take over the place. The dining room may be closed and parking is next to impossible.

I still wholeheartedly recommend it though.

• Liked — Helpful staff, attractive rooms, location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank J_ELaine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
Liberty, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

My family of four stayed one night at the Nonantum Resort on Monday, July 7, 2008, at the recommendation of my parents who had stayed there for one night last fall. We were headed to New England to spend the majority of the week in Boston, but we wanted to get a little glimpse of Maine and we were not disappointed!
The directions the hotel provided on their website were flawless. We arrived at the hotel in about an hour and a half after leaving Logan Airport in Boston.
We were promptly checked in, and the lady at the desk gave us a rundown of the activities going on at the resort for that evening and the next morning.
Our room was in the Portside Lodge, which we had requested, and there was plenty of parking right there. I did find the room to be somewhat outdated, as others have mentioned, but I didn't find it to be a problem. The bathroom was small if you're used to staying at big hotel chains, but that was the only complaint. We made do.
The concierge was helpful and told us that we could walk to the "downtown" area in Kennebunkport. It was a nice little walk, even with our two children who are 2 and 5. We shopped around and ate at Federal Jack's, which was a great brew pub with good views of the water.
When we got back to the hotel, we walked the grounds and found everything to be very cute and quaint. It was beautiful. Plus, it smelled good. Like flowers and the sea.
That evening's activity was a firepit with smore making and a sing-along. I have to admit that it sounded cheesy, but it really turned out to be fun. The entertainer was great with kids and he just sat on a bench and played songs while we all sang along. It was fun.
The bed was a little hard for my liking, but it's only one night! We went to the breakfast buffet the next morning, and it was excellent. Mostly hot breakfast food like you would expect. Really good.
Overall, we had a great stay. I would definitely recommend staying here. Especially if you have kids. It seemed to be one of the few places in the area that actually even allows them!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jmjbwolf
Hampton, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

This hotel is worn down and needs to be redecorated and updated, and the staff need a seminar in how to treat customers. Everyone was fairly efficient, but in a way that made you feel like they were doing you a huge favor. It started at the front desk, and included almost everyone we ran into. Everywhere you looked there were employees but none of them wanted anything to do with you. It looked like they were still getting ready for the season, as there were potted plants waiting to be put in the ground lying around everywhere. We had two rooms and both needed new bedspreads, curtains, wallpaper and carpet about 10 years ago. It was sort of like staying at your grandmother's house. The whole place was missing something and no one seemed happy to be there. When my kids wanted to go swimming, they made us sign our lives away for two pool towels, and at check out, they wanted to know where those towels were (as opposed to whether we enjoyed our stay). The elevator is not available for normal use, and while someone helped get our bags up (after we sought them out and asked) we had to carry our bags down three flights of narrow stairs. We did enjoy our Lobster Tour we booked there and our dinner at Mabel's down the street.

• Stayed June 2008
5 Thank Mom45
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

Stayed at the Nonantum resort for a wedding a while back. The room was trying to be shabby chic but really just ended up being shabby. Hideous wallpaper, awkward bathroom and just generally outdated look. Considering the price was so high, I expected a lot more. I understand that it is an old inn, but the quality just doesn't match up with the price.

I will say that the grounds are lovely, and we enjoyed the swimming pool. However, a chamical reaction in the hot tub tarnished all of my silver jewelry to the point that it all turned black. Again, not acceptable at this price! There have to be nicer places to stay in such a quaint town for the money.

• Liked — Groundskeeping, swimming pool and location were nice.
  • Disliked — Shabby rooms and gross chemicals in hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank digtravel
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2008

My husband and I went to Kennebunkport, ME for our first time this past weekend. Nonantum was running a special so we chose to stay there. I am very glad we didn't pay full price as we ended up leaving 1 night early. The room in and of itself was fine. A little outdated but very clean and spacious. The problem for us? The floors are EXTREMELY creaky. We were on the 2nd floor of the "newer" building and were put beneath one of the other 5 guests staying at the resort that weekend. Our upstairs neighbors moved around A LOT... it kept my husband and I awake literally all night. Not to mention that the bed felt like the original mattress from 1987. Hard as a rock. If the bed would've been more comfortable, I would have simply asked to be moved to another room. We just decided to cut our trip short given that we'd only paid $69/night. Other than that, the place is fine. A little run down looking on the outside- the paint is chipping/peeling and it just seems outdated a little. However, it is 125 years old so that's to be expected I suppose. The breakfast (which is included) was nice. Not a lot to do in Kennebunkport in the spring weather. We ate at Mabel's Lobster Claw which was AWESOME.

• Liked — Free breakfast
  • Disliked — Squeaky floors, uncomfortable mattress, outdated accomodations
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank mommainny
Chicopee,Ma.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

We arrived early and could not get in our room right away so front desk suggested we come back a few hours later and that was fine. Our room was still not ready so they put us in another room with better view. The room was spacious and we had a view of the river and a bit of the ocean, beautiful. The rooms seem to have some updating 3rd floor Lodgeside room. We took elevator to 3rd floor walked down long creeky hallway. The Inn had only been open 2 days into the season so there was no dinner on premise that night, but the staff gave us ideas where to eat in town. The grounds are probably lovely during the more warmer months. The main Inn and Lobby were very charming and breakfast was excellent the next morning.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — The creeky hallway floors.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paulabc2
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2007

We had a wonderful time at the Nonantum Resort. We had a double room on the top floor of the old building. The room was beautifully furnished ! Since the hotel was from the 1800's, the bellboy took us up with the old elevator to the top floor ! There was an outdoor swimming pool and the garden is next to the water, so you can see all the boats float by while you are relaxing ! We also loved the town. We really enjoyed our stay !

• Liked — the view from the garden to the water
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank GlobetrottersBelgium
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#14 of 26 in Kennebunkport
Cliff House Maine
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!