“Perfect Ending”

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Our last night with our tour group was spent at Nonantum. We were greeted by Rose before we even exited our bus and then she and her husband greeted us inside with cider and cookies. What a treat. Our Farewell Dinner was held at the Nonantum and from what I overheard nobody had a bad meal. Our room was perfect with a good view of the river. Finally, breakfast the next morning was very good and the Nonantum provided us with the perfect ending to a great adventure. I wish I could have stayed longer but a trip back to Nonantum Resort will go on the places that I need to go back to list.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Hi There Babsie!
What grand news that The Nonantum Resort was the perfect ending to your trip! I know all of the places you went were beautiful so it must have been a magnificent trip!
Rose and her husband Ken are two very special people we have the privilege of working with. I often say when I grow up I want to be just like Rose! Rose is unbelievably hospitable and she and Ken set the standards for spectacular guest services for the rest of us!
Folks who are fortunate enough to visit here on a motor coach will be on the receiving end of a Rose and Ken style welcome. Rose will serve you just out of the oven cookies and Ken will print your boarding passes. Dinner will be a lobster bake with all the trimmings. As you said, just the perfect ending to a great trip!
Thanks so much for reminding me how fortunate we are to have Ken and Rose here every day. I am going to head down to the lobby right now and thank them for all their hard work! If I play my cards right, maybe Rose will even give me a cookie!
Happy Fall,
Innkeeper

Write a ReviewReviews (1,804)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

An old New England resort in a charming sea-side town proved to be the perfect wedding venue for my son, Noah and his lovely bride, Jenny. The Nonantum resort is charming, atmospheric and friendly. Our rooms were comfortable and tastefully decorated to reflect the water-front theme. Buffet breakfasts at the hotel were relaxed, informal and filling! The wedding planner did a superb job with everything from the bride's arrival via sailing yacht to a wonderful dinner dance going perfectly to plan. We had such fun! I would wholeheartedly recommend this resort for your late summer wedding or for any family reunion!

Room Tip: We were allocated a first floor room (second floor in America!) that faced the street. The decor was...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Hello UK Friends:
Congratulations to Noah and Jenny! What an adorable couple!
We so enjoyed meeting all of you - two such wonderful families. At The Nonantum we host many weddings and each is special in its own way. Jenny's arrival on the Pineapple Ketch was really spectacular. The day really could not have been nicer!
I am also so happy to hear your dinner dance was executed perfectly! My favorite line of your reviews though was "We had such fun"! That is our goal for every wedding!
I know you live very far away but I hope you will come and see us again soon!
Cheers!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights in the Portside Lodge at Nonantum last week and found the staff welcoming, the room clean with a terrific view, and the breakfast buffet varied and constantly refreshed (if we could only teach people that tongs/serving pieces are provided on the buffet for a purpose-to be used versus using one’s hands to help themselves to bacon, muffins, etc!). The grounds and flower beds are beautiful. The only negative of our entire stay was the pillows – they were extremely soft and did not hold their shape. This was our second visit to the Nonantum and hopefully will not be out last!

Room Tip: It's worth a little extra $$ to get a room in Portside Lounge with a balcony and view of the riv...
2  Thank LBKDMK
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Hello Maryland Visitor!
I had to chuckle when I read your writeup. We too would like to teach people that the reason we put out tongs and spoons is so they do not touch other folks food! Maybe we could get Miss Manners to come and teach a seminar!!
As for the pillows, they are Cuddledown and I like them so much I bought some for our home, as well as our condo in the mountains! I am learning that pillows are very personal items! Everybody likes something different! Maybe we will have to come up with a plan that has pillow options. This will be a great winter project for me.
I really appreciate your lovely thoughts about the flowers, cleanliness, welcoming staff and amazing breakfast. We have worked very hard to perfect many of the items you mention so it is wonderful feedback to know we are succeeding in those areas!
Happy Fall! Thanks for writing and we hope to see you back hee again soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Nonantum is a find resort in Kennebunkport. It might need some refurbishing and some refreschments even in the Logde near the water. The food is find and the personnel is very professional. The Internet is very poor. It is better in the main salon but not in the rooms.

2  Thank francoisleger

Hello Spanish Visitor:
I am so sorry to hear that you had trouble with our WiFi system! I also travel with a computer (in large part so I can respond promptly to Trip Advisor Reviews! ) and I am often frustrated at other hotels when their WiFi doesn't work properly. What I have learned is that I need to contact the front desk to discuss it. Often times it just involves resetting a router or something like that. I have just walked the halls of Portside and it appears to me that all rooms have a good strong signal. I am not sure what the issue was when you were here, but I do apologize!
I also thank you for your nice words about our staff and our food! Everyone here does their very best each day to insure our customers are very well taken care of. We are very aware that if we do not take care of our customers, that someone else will!
I hope that you had a safe journey home and that we see you here again someday. Again, I am very sorry you had trouble with the WiFi.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Nonantum Resort and couldn't have been happier with our experience. I hesitated on booking this hotel originally because it's a 10 minute walk into town. The last time we stayed in Kennebunkport, we were right in town, which was very convenient. However, the 10 minute walk from the Nonantum is along the water and very scenic.

The grounds are beautiful and extremely well-kept. You can tell the staff and owners take pride in their property. The views from many areas at the resort are gorgeous; however, we were especially impressed with the views from our room. We had booked a water view room with a king-sized bed, but were upgraded to a room with even better views. From our bed, we looked out at the water and boats from both the French doors and the large window. We also had a fireplace; although, we didn't use it only because the weather was warm. We stayed in room 354, which I would highly recommend. The only down-fall is that there are no balconies in the room. The room and hotel, overall, was very clean, and our bed was extremely comfortable.

I should also mention the staff. Everyone we encountered was very friendly. Before we went to dinner, we had drinks at the bar and wound up chatting with the bartender and another staff member for quite some time. Also, the breakfast, which is included, offered many options (buffet style) and was very tasty.

My only regret is that we didn't stay longer, but we were limited on time. I'm definitely looking forward to our return trip to the Nonantum.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Hello Godiva!
You were so kind to write such a lovely review! In an ironic twist of fate, I stayed in that same room 2 nights ago and I walked downtown for lunch so I have mirrored your experience in the very recent past. I also found that bed very comfortable! I had an amazing nights sleep and hope you did too! My walk downtown was perfect. Not too far (it is about 3/4 mile) just enough to catch some rays and get some fresh air before lunch.
It sounds like you need to come back and see us again soon! The crisp fall air is here, the leaves are starting to change and the Fall Menu is available in the Dining Room! Please come back and see us!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We arrived to a reception of freshly baked cookies. Employees were congenial. Rooms were spotlessly clean. Great landscaping and flowers. A great place to relax, recharge your battery and just enjoy the scenery. There were 46 of us and we were accommodated with no problems. Computers available. We ate 2 meals there both with abundance of tasty food. No one was disappointed and we would revisit again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GrandmaSanAntonio

Hello Grandma:
Thank you so much for the terrific review! I am delighted (but not surprised) to hear what a wonderful time you had during your visit here.
There is nothing quite as nice as arriving to a reception of freshly baked cookies. Who doesn't love cookies?
Another key to a sucessful stay is having rooms be spotlessly clean and our Housekeepers are simply superb. They are a hardworking crew and their attention to detail really shows.
As you said, The Nonantum is "A great place to relax, recharge your battery and just enjoy the scenery".
Hope to see you here again soon!
Happy Fall,
Jean Ginn Marivn

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed one night in Portside King on the first floor. Nice view of the river. Patio had2 chairs and a table - nice to be outside.
Liked the clean lines of our room - no heavy drapes so had a lovely view also loved that the flooring was very clean looking - maybe a pergo - much better than carpet.
However, the bathroom was SMALL! Also, need to put small fridge on a wider platform - every time we opened it - it teetered - made me think it would fall on my toe!
The staff are SUPER! Everyone we encounter was great!

1  Thank VirginiaSunny

Greetings Virginia Sunny:
Thank you for writing to tell of your adventures in Kennebunkport! It is indeed a fun place to be! It is wonderful that your visit was so enjoyable! It sounds like we have similar taste in decorating. I also really like the clean line and lack of heavy drapes. I think with the beautiful vistas here we need to enjoy Mother Nature's handiwork whenever we can! I also really like the lack of carpets. We use bamboo flooring as it is a renewable wood, so it is in keeping with our comittment to using environmentally friendly products. It is far more sanitary than carpets and I just like the look so much better.
It is rare that I get a letter that doesn't mention our very talented staff and yours is no exception. They truly are the best of the best and I am so proud to work with them each and every day!
Thanks again for the great writeup. I hope you can come see us again soon!
Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
King's Port Inn
King's Port Inn
#4 of 8 in Kennebunk

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!