“Disappointment”

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Nonantum and were disappointed in the amenities of the resort. The pool is much smaller than it appears in photos online and the "pool side bar and grill" a huge let down. Parking was an issue - we had to circle the lot repeatedly or park across the street because a tour bus had taken available spots or the resort was hosting an "event". Our room had a nice view of the river, but the bathroom was extremely small. On a positive note, the resort is in a great location and the employees were all friendly and professional. We had spent considerable time planning this trip; after reading previous reviews and seeing photos online, we were excited about staying at the resort. Overall, we were let down.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jen G
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hi There Jen:
I never want for anyone to leave the Nonantum Resort "Disappointed". I am so sorry your stay wasn't the kind of experience you had in mind. Sadly summers are a little crazy in Kennebunkport and I am guessing you perhaps had something less busy in mind.
I am delighted to hear you appreciated our location and that our employees did a great job making you feel at home. It just sounds like this wasn't your kind of place and for that I apologize. Vacations are far too rare and I can certainly appreciate that when things do not turn out the way you want it is upsetting. I hope the fall brings you a few moments of the quiet that it sounds like was missing from your visit here.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Innkeeper

Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I always wanted to visit Maine, specifically Kennebunkport. When I researched places, this seemed to be a good fit for my family of 6. Very family friendly with tons of daily activities for the kids to participate in. I was beyond pleased with our spacious room. The kids had their own suite with 2 twin beds. Our room had a balcony with a beautiful with a gorgeous view of the water. We had all the amenities we needed and more. The staff was beyond helpful as well. The breakfast that was included with our stay was 1st class, eggs, pancakes, sausage, you name it, it was there and it was delicious. All of that and chocolate too! The value of the stay is in the smiles of the employees, the comfort of the beds, the quality of the atmosphere and the overall appeal of The Nonantum. We will happily be going back again next year,

Room Tip: We stayed in the Portside Lodge and it was wonderful
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hello Deana:
What a lovely title to your review! "First time but not the last"! Words that every Innkeeper wants to read! Thank you!
I also really appreciated your comment "The value of the stay is in the smiles of the employees, the comfort of the beds, the quality of the atmosphere and the overall appeal of The Nonantum." WOW! I love that sentence! It really captures the essence of the type of hospitality we are providing here! Thank you so much~
We look forward to seeing you back here again!
I hope you have a wonderful September!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The staff was wonderful! The hotel quaint. I would suggest staying in the Portside Lodge instead of the main building if you do not like noise. However, the meeting was a success and the town is wondeful!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hello St Louis Friend:
It isn't easy to be working in a resort when everyone else is on vacation but it sounds like you made it work! Good for you! There is a lot to do in Kennebunkport so hopefully when your meetings were done for the day you got to enjoy some of the fun!
As far as noise is concerned, we do have Sharper Image White Noise Machines available that have dozens of sounds that can lull even the lightest sleeper in to dreamland! I tried them myself and they really are fantastic! I have friends who use them every night and I can see why!
Please come back and see us when you can vacation instead of work!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I would highly recommend the Nonantum, especially for families. My husband and I did not travel with our family, but we both agreed, it is perfect for families with young children. The breakfasts are included, and very delicious. Everyone we talked to at the hotel were pleasant and very helpful. It was our first visit to Maine, and we loved Kennebunkport, and this location is perfect, a 10 minute walk into town or walking the other way to beautiful sites, restaurants and a small beach with free parking! We stayed during the week, not sure about weekend noise, etc. We would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer section and would highly recommend it. It is 3 floors, and we stayed on the...

Hi Debbie:
Thanks so much for the great writeup! I am so happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed yourselves at The Nonantum! As you stated, The Nonantum is a fantastic place for families as well as couples looking for a romantic getaway. When I am driving home at night I often see many couple strolling along Ocean Ave hand in hand just enjoying all that Kennebunkport offers. I hope you can come back and see us again. The seasons are all glorious here and I know you would enjoy each one!
Thanks again for writing!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our first time in Kennebunkport, but the Nonantum was not my first choice to stay at. Unfortunately, my first choice was unavailable for the dates of our travel. I found the Nonantum with a google search and a hastily made reservation.

Pro's:
- Quaint resort with a wonderful location central to everything that is desirable in Kennebunkport.
- Beautiful gardens (especially the fairy garden) that are well maintained.
- Adirondack chairs by the river providing a great escape from the hustle and bustle.
- Some very friendly and helpful staff who made a portion our visit all the more pleasant.
- Beautiful river view from our 3rd floor Portside lodge room.

Cons:
- From what I personally viewed at the resort, two thirds of it are in dire need of a coat of paint, general wood repair, some new carpeting and updating.
- Our room was cozy, but small without many of those very little special amenities that make your stay more comfortable. Bathroom was very small and the two of us could not be in it at the same time. A tiny microwave and an even tinier fridge that wobbled on it's wooden perch didn't make if for us. We had to move the fridge from its perch to the floor because it attempted to commit suicide and fall to floor every time you opened its door. We did manage, however, to fit 3 bottles of water and 4 cans of Coke in it before running out of space.
- Some not so friendly and helpful staff.
- Parking was adequate as long as there wasn't a wedding scheduled. There was a wedding there 3 of the 5 days we were there. Parking, during the weddings was needless to say, cutthroat.
- Overall, after one day there, the whole resort just looked tired.

I would definitely return to Kennebunkport, but not necessarily the Nonantum. For the money spent for the lodging I really expected a LOT better than what I experienced.

Room Tip: I originally wanted a second floor room at the Portside Lodge because of the private balcony, but ha...
4  Thank Ivyplus
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Hello New Haven Visitor:
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at The Nonantum! Your list of pros certainly mirrors the list of pros nearly all of our guests share. (great location, beautiful gardens, excellent views and wonderful staff) Unlike the vast majority of our guests, you also had a list of cons. While your list of cons is upsetting for me to read, because my staff and I put our heart and soul in to insuring all our guests are happy, I will say it is always educational to hear how our non fans view us. I will share your list with the appropriate Managers.
This is a wonderful example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. The very next review talks about the joy of witnessing weddings during their visit and what a wonderful visit they had!
As you state in the beginning of your review, the Nonantum was not where you wanted to stay, and it sounds like perhaps a busy resort like the Nonantum is not your cup of tea! While travel can be fun, it is not without its challenging moments. I hope your next vacation is far more enjoyable as it is such a disappointment not to enjoy time away from home.
I hope you will come back to Kennebunkport as there are many small quiet locations that I think you would far better meet your wishes. Again, thank you for your frank candor. I very much appreciate hearing your point of view.
Respectfully,

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a very nice king sized bedroom overlooking the river and while we were there we saw three weddings take place on the lawn. We really felt like we had a room with a wonderful view. The hotel is well run, the breakfasts are delightful, and the employees all friendly, knowledgable and polite.

Hello Phyllis:
I really appreciate your very kind remarks about the Nonantum! We strive to make a stay at the Nonantum the standard by which all vacations that follow are judged! I am delighted you found your view of the three weddings to be a beautiful vista! I am also glad you found "The hotel is well run, the breakfasts are delightful, and the employees all friendly, knowledgable and polite." I think we have the best of the best on our team and I am always pleased when our guests share their stories of how one of our staff has gone above and beyond to meet guests needs.
Thank you again for the lovely post and I hope your travels will bring you back to The Nonantum again very soon!
All The Best,

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and i have stayed at the Nonantum at least once a hear for the past four years, usually n June, July or Sept.
we always stay in a Portside king room. The rooms here seem larger, quieter and more updated. Plus the patio or balcony is great for relaxing.
Breakfast is included with your room rate and it is always bountiful. Everything from yogurt and granola to pancakes and waffles and pastries.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank lynnz22
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Hello Lynn:
It is always so nice when our frequent flyer guests take the time to write and tell their point of view! After all the visits you have had with us, you know as well as anyone how life at The Nonantum really is!
Breakfast is always a highlight around here and is included with almost all rooms. Everyday someone stops me to ask for a muffin recipe or how those yummy waffle are made! (the secret - make them a day earlier than you want to serve them - they end up crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy inside!)
We look forward to your next visit!
All The Best,
Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!