“Perfect”

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Nonantum for 3 nights in late July 2013. Everything was perfect - we had a very nice large room with a huge balcony overlooking the water. We were in the portside lodge on the second floor in room #252. Our room was the very closest to the water and had the very best views. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained with daylilies, daisies, hydrangea, and hosta. It is a pleasant half mile walk into the village.

Room Tip: You have to select room 251, 252, or 253 in the Portside lodge. But, you will need to make your rese...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Hello Texas Friend!
Perfect! Wow! What a nice review! We very much appreciate it!
The gardens really are lovely all year but in mid summer they certainly hit their height of beauty! On these warm sunny Maine days with a cool breeze from the water I find it very challenging to stay in my office! I would much rather be wandering the grounds admiring the flowers and chatting with our many happy guests! I must admit to giving in to temptation a couple times a day and heading outside. I love chatting with our guests and interestingly enough, there are many from Texas like yourself! It is so fun to learn all about where they are from!
Please come and see us again very soon! The fall folliage and plantings are perhaps even more spectacular than the summer ones!
Innkeeper

Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Nonantum Resort. The first thing my children and I noticed was the beautiful fairy garden next to the front porch. This sighting started things out perfectly for our little ones age 7 & 4.

Our room was clean and very charming with a view of the marina and a fireplace. The bathroom was very clean and nice-sized.

Activities - We really enjoyed the activities for our kids. They were able to do arts and crafts every morning after breakfast and pretty much any time of the day. All of the staff were very friendly, but we all want to give a huge shout-out to Elsie, who really went above and beyond entertaining our kids (she even plays the guitar and sings!!!). More activities are kayaking, ping-pong, hula-hooping, marshmallow roasting, movies at night and a Princess/Pirate party supervised by the staff that allowed my husband and I to have a quiet dinner together down the street at Mabel's Lobster Claw.

Location - The hotel is located close to town. It took us about 10 minutes to walk there each night.

Dining - Breakfast was included during our stay and it was simply delicious, so many great staples mixed with unique choices each morning. We also had dinner at 95 Ocean one night and it was a very nice meal.

The only cons - The hotel itself is very old, with all of the creaks that come along with it. The hallways are a little stark and the elevator must be run by one of the hotel staff. That being said, we opted to use the stairs for exercise purposes. We were worried that the people below and next to us could hear our every move, but we were barely in our room and we realize these things come with the charm of an older establishment.

Overall, we has a fantastic time!!

One more thing - if you are of age, try the Heckman's Hurricane drink served at the pool bar, Latitudes - absolutely delish!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsChristy
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Hello Mrs Christy!
I appreciate you taking time to share your recent experience at The Nonantum Resort! It sounds like you and your family had a grand time! Elsie certainly is a very talented girl! My office overlooks the Activity Area and I love watching her intereact with the kids and their families. She is a champion hula hooper and I think she does an awesome job singing at the campfires!
Pirate and Princess night is also a favorite of mine. Watching the children in search of treasure running across the lawn (wearing the appropriate headgear of course!) with looks of sheer joy on their faces leaves a smile on my face! Just so cute!
Thanks so much for writing! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Nonantum Resort is a great place to stay when in Kennebunk. The place has a lot of history. Stayed in the Portside section which is the newer section and enjoyed it very much. Had a patio to sit out on. Was dissapointed that it overlooked the parking lot and not the gardens like it had mentioned when I booked it. The breakfast was great. Lots of choices at the buffet and it changed each day. Had dinner one evening at the restaurant and it was good not exceptional like many of the restaurants in the area. The music that evening was great to listen to.Took the lobster trip from the dock at the hotel and that was very informative. The guide was very interesting. Everyone who works at the resort is so friendly and helpful. Looks like they have great activities for children. Looking forward to another visit someday. Carol W.

Room Tip: If you book the Portside Lodge check on what the view will be at the front desk when picking a room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Carol:
Thanks so much for the wonderful write up! It is great to know you had a fantastic time while you were here! I checked your reservation and it looks like from our end you booked your room through a third party and sometimes I think the finer points can be lost in translation!
I am sorry the view was not what you had in mind. My suggestion is to always call the hotel directly to find out the details of what you are booking.
It is also marvelous to know how much you enjoyed our staff. They really are a special bunch and it is always nice to hear how much our guests enjoy their terrific personalities!
I hope to see you here again soon!
All The Best~

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed again this year in the Portside Lodge because we like having a balcony. The weather was great, but even when it rains in Maine it looks beautiful. As usual the service was top notch. My 11 year old loves the Kid's Club and all of the activities they provide. My 88 year old mother came with us for the first time and loved the hotel and the staff. She says towels are white and fluffy, which is apparently important to her. The breakfast buffet comes with the room and is a wonderful assortment. Sundays there is an omelet bar. Location on the water, with a pool and great service is why we come back every year.

Room Tip: Have not stayed in the older part of the hotel. We always stay in Portside with a balcony (which me...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Greetings to our Buckeye Friends:
It was so wonderful to have the opportunity to welcome back your wonderful family to The Nonantum Resort! It was very special that you could bring your Mom too!
You bring up a really great point when you said that your Mom liked the towels because they were "white and fluffy which apparently is important to her". It is always interesting to hear what is important to our guests so we can make sure we do it and everyone likes something different!
It was awesome to learn your 11 year old had fun with the Activities Program. My office looks right out on Henry's Club and it is so great for me to watch the kids playing and hear their happy shouts as they make new friends and try things they have never done. Fishing off the docks for crabs is this years favorite activity!
Thanks so much for allowing The Nonantum the privilege of being part of your families traditions. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
All The Best!

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Nonantum this past weekend. The location right up against busy Ocean Ave was deceiving. As soon as you enter the great lobby/living room you are transported. It reminded me a little bit of the Resort in the movie "Dirty Dancing". Once we got on the grounds looking out over the water it was instantly a million miles away from anywhere. Beautiful lawn, plenty of Adirondack Chairs to look out over the peaceful water and watch the boats go past.
We ate three times there. Once at the pool bar, where Amy was super friendly and accommodating. At night we had dinner at the Hotel restaurant. Food was exceptional and the pianist was very good. Service was very good. Corey was attentive and knowledgeable.
Breakfast buffet was included and here was where the hotel really stood out. It was delicious and plentiful and included in te room rate. We had a team of gentlemen taking care of us and they were present without being intrusive. It was a great way to top off the weekend.
Now for the bad. The room was great. 1st floor with a patio looking out over the harbor. I think it is the newest building. Water pressure was low but the real problem is the bed. I have stayed many places and never once have I complained about the bed but the bed here was horrible. Just felt terrible when we woke up. Sore back sore shoulder and super creaky. I never notice the bed but this was rough. It was the only reason we did not think it was a perfect weekend.

• Stayed: August 2013
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Hi Peter:
Thank you so very much for your kind response! Our entrance is a bit deceiving isn't it? It is hard to imagine on the other side of the building are beautiful lawns and gardens and a lovely water view! I guess when the hotel was built in 1883, it was important to be near the road for when the horses dropped off their passengers (!)
I must agree that Amy at the pool bar is delightful! She takes wonderful care of our guests, many of whom have commented on her beautiful smile! Corey in the dining room is also an ace. I wish we could clone him! And those crazy young men in the morning! It isn't easy to find teens willing to get up early in the morning, and we have a dining room full of them! I do not know how (AM Supervisor) Gail does it, but she has those young men running like a well oiled machine! It is rare for a day to go by when a guest hasn't stopped me and told me how wonderful the entire breakfast team is! Really a special group!
Peter, I wonder what room you were in? All mattresses in Portside were replaced last year so they really should be very comfortable! If you could e-mail me at jean@nonantumresort.com with your room number, I will look in to this further!
Thanks again for the great writeup!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at the Nonantum the end of July. This hotel was a perfect location, quiet and just a little bit of a walk into the hub of town where there is great shopping and awesome restaurants.
Adirondack chairs along the river was a great place to stop and relax after fun filled days. We took the lobster charter right from the Nonantum docks, which was very convenient.
We stayed in the Portside building but only had a parking lot view. We stayed on the first floor which had a small patio for sitting. Although the parking lot was right there, it was pretty quiet when we settled in for the night. There are some pretty views, I think for the extra money it would be worth it to have the view of the river. We would have sat outside on the patio more often if we had that view. The room was a king size bed with plenty of room to spread out in the room. The bathroom was a little small, but didn't make any difference to us. The only negative thing was we could hear people walking around up above us and the air conditioner was loud at times. We had a fridge in the room as well as a single serve Keurig coffee maker which was great. There is a small lobby in this building which had a nice spot to sit near a fireplace and had snack and ice machines. The door in the lobby led outside to the pool area. As adults, we would not have used this pool as it was always filled with children, which was great for families but not adults wanting to just relax. Everyone that worked there from cleaning, front desk, wait staff etc. was very friendly and helpful aside from one girl we encountered at the front desk.. Maybe just a bad day for her! No comment on food in their restaurants as we never ate there and we were never told about the complimentary breakfast we are hearing about AFTER our visit. The lobby never offered information. If you wanted to know something, you needed to ask. Would make a difference upon checkin if they welcomed you with information such as breakfast, restaurant choices, trolley that runs to and from the village, activities etc. Once we decided on what our plan would be they did have someone in the lobby that could help you with that.
So.....the little things can be fixed and were not that big of a deal to change the fact that YES we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelerx5

Hello Rochester Guests!
I am glad you had such a wonderful visit at The Nonantum Resort! We really are fortunate to have such a unique location! It is such an easy walk to all the great restaurants, shops and galleries yet our beautiful water front location is the ideal place to watch the boats go by!
I will give you an insider tip about Maine travel - September is an amazing month here! The weather is beautiful and there are no kids in the pool :-)
Your observation about the parking lot view rooms is a great one. For some families, the view is just not a priority, while other love to sit on the deck or patio the better part of the day. I am with you. I think the great views are worth the additional charges!
I hope you can come and see us again soon! September is right around the corner!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I attend my god-daughter’s wedding Memorial Day weekend and I must say everything was fabulous. The staff was very attentive, the food was amazing and the space was perfect.

Everyone was in awe that the bride and her attendants arrived on the schooner; what a great option for your brides. The outdoor setting was great for a ceremony, although a little chilly and overcast it was beautiful and perfect for great pictures.

Dinner was fabulous I had the beef tenderloin that was amazing. A person at our table had the jerk chicken and she said it was awesome. Everyone I have talked to has raved about the event. The staff was prompt and friendly.

I stayed Sunday evening, we had a ground floor room looking on to the water; what a beautiful sunset. The room was beautiful, clean and well appointed. I LOVE you sheets and pillows.

I work in the industry so consider myself a little picky when it comes to service, food etc -- but you nailed it all.

So thank you for making it such a wonderful event for all.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Hello Laurie:
Thank you so much for your very kind review of The Nonantum Resort! It means a lot when a fellow member of our industry writes such a glowing review!
I too love our linens. They are Cuddledown, another Maine Company and I like the bedding so much I have it in my own home!
Again, I appreciate your lovely write up! Please come back and see us again soon!
Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!