“One of our favorite places”
Review of Nonantum Resort

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I had made a 6 day vacation hitting different parts of the Northeast we had not been to before. The Nonantum was the 2nd of 3 places that we stayed at on our trip. 2 days at each place. The Nonantum by far was the highlight of our trip. We loved everything about it. The breakfast that was included in our package was absolutely wonderful. We plan to come back again when we can stay longer!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the river. I would ask for a 1st floor patio so that you can sit out and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Hello Lor:
I am so happy to hear The Nonantum was the highlight of your vacation!
That breakfast really is amazing! Peter is our Breakfast Chef and he is the most pleasant easy to get along with person ever! He and Barbara, our Pastry Chef come up with fantastic menus year in and year out making The Nonantum to go to breakfast spot in Kennebunkport!
I agree, the first floor patio rooms in Portside are special. It is so lovely to sit at ground level and enjoy the beautiful lawns and gardens. Of course some folks love the second floor balconies, while others prefer the larger indows and views the third floor allows. Something for every taste!
It would be wonderful to see you here again!
Thanks for writing,
Innkeeper

Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Spent a nice weekend at the Nonantum Resort. Excellent location about a half mile from the center of Kennebunkport.

Main part of the hotel has a nice lobby and the restaurant plus the old creaky elevator. We stayed in a newer building and had a lovely view of the river. Grounds were very nice and in general the place had a nice comfortable feel. Staff always had a smile.

Our package had the breakfast buffet which was excellent. Did not have dinner there but the menu looked good.

Just be warned not to try and change the reservation as you get close to your time as they are very inflexible.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Jim:
So happy to hear you enjoyed our beautiful waterfront location! It is unique among Maine hotels to be able to stay at a pretty resort, but also to be able to walk to downtown and the many shops, bars and galleries!
Nearly all of our room packages come with our breakfast buffet and folks who swear they are not breakfast eaters regularly find the crisp Maine air and a great nights sleep on our Cuddledown bedding suddenly finds them happily indulging at the breakfast buffet!
I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was the highlight of a long trip to a number of delightful places in New England and Iceland with my young daughter, which hopefully conveys how much we enjoyed staying there. This is a classic, traditional style New England resort, with gorgeous soft green lawns leading down to a pretty river that opens to the sea. We spent hours playing catch on the grass or just looking out at the adorable ornamental lighthouse at the edge of the property. We also took a great kayak ride up and down the inlet and loved walking to the local restaurants (both the town and the beaches are walkable, even with a 9 year old). The staff were friendly and helpful, and they even hosted a bonfire marshmallow roast one night that eventually attracted as many adult guests as it did families with kids. We did have spectacular weather, which always helps, but we left there eagerly anticiapting a return visit next year. I don't agree that the hotel is only suitable to families, I think a couple would have a wonderful relaxed time there at least out of high summer season.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hi Jay:
Wow! A visit to New England and Iceland! Sounds like a fantastic adventure!
I am so thrilled that you and your 9 year old found The Nonantum so charming and relaxing! I love to look out my office window and watch families enjoying our beautiful surroundings and taking advantage of kayaks, bikes and lawn games just steps from their rooms.
As you guessed, many couples enjoy coming here particularly in the fall after the families have goe back to school. Summers are magnificent here, but so is the fall!
Many evenings we have a marshmallow roast with more adults than kids! It really makes me smile seeing a group of adults working hard to get their marshmallow just the right shade of brown and sing along to our very talented campfire song leaders!
Thanks so much for sharing your expereinces,

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

The Inn continues to please. Our Portside ground floor room afforded us views of the river and boat traffic. The breakfast offerings were a great start to the day. But, the staff, everyone of them were the stars of the stay. Maine hospitality is the focus. But, difficult parking if there is an event at the site.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you so much for being one of of our valued annual visitors! It is a great non exclusive club! It is so fun to visit with our repeat visitors and watch how excited they become by our annual updates. So cute!
You are totally correct - the staff here is the best of the best! We find we never have to advertise for help. Current staff members bring their friends and family members to work here and many of them never leave! Each spring we have an all staff meeting, and all 200 people stand, introduce themselves and say what they do at the Nonantum and how long they have been working here. I am always humbled by the number of folks who have been here years and years! I have been here for 14 years and I am still a new kid on the block!
The staff here has learned the secret that working hard and making peoples stay magical makes them feel great when they leave work each day! The staff takes their job of making memories for guests very seriously and it shows! I am so very proud of each and every one of them!
Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to brag about them. They truly amaze me each and every day!
Hope you can come and visit again soon!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We enjoyed our one night stay very much and found we were greeted with a friendly smile by everyone who worked there from the front desk to the dining room to the friendly elevator operator. The location is lovely on the river and close enough to town for a nice stroll. The breakfast buffet, included with the room, offered everything one could want for breakfast. When I was curious about where they acquired the curtains hanging in our room, the manager cheerfully informed me where I could find them...a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for room 426. It' s fourth floor corner room with nice views.

Hi Phyllis:
Thank you so much for your very kind review! Room 426 is one of my favorites as well. The views are fantastic and it is a lot of fun to relax and enjoy watching the boat traffic from there!
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our yummy breakfast! Relaxing over a second cup of coffee and a decadent house made scone has to be one of the best ways to start a day ever!
Hopefully when you come to see us again you will be able to stay longer!
Gratefully Yours,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in the port side building, on the 3 floor with water view. Rooms on 2nd and first floor have a balcony or patio, on 3d floor only a big window with chairs in front.

Rooms were good, nicely decorated, big king bed. Bathroom very small. Pillows were horrible. If you have neck or back problems, I advice you to take your own. I have never seen such lumpy pillows.
We were on the top floor which is quietest, but even so we could hear our neighbours walk about, blow their nose etc. not fantastic!

Staff are nice, although at breakfast they are slow to refill coffees.

Breakfast is good, too unhealthy in my opinion but it offers a lot of choices

Gardens are lovely, well kept and nice Adirondacks to sit in by the river

All in all the place is ok but far from exceptional. It is a big hotel catering mainly to families and older people. In high season it is not cheap but you pay for location I guess. Nearest beach is close but not that nice.
I don't think I would stay again.

Room Tip: We saw a ground floor room in old building. It looked dark and horrible. Portside definitely best ev...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chocolate74
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hello Chocolate!
I must say I love your user name!
Thanks for coming to see us. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay!
I am really surprised to read your remarks about our pillows. They are Cuddledown and extremely popular. Many folks (myself included) order them from our Gift Shop! But I do agree pillows are one of those things that some people like one kind, and some people like others! I am sorry these were not to your liking.
I am delighted to hear you say "Gardens are lovely, well kept and nice Adirondacks to sit in by the river".
Hanging our on the Adirondacks is the most popular things to do here. It is so relaxing and such a nice break from our hurry up world.
Thanks for coming to see us!
All The Best,

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here on the part of our Maine anniversary trip. The hotel lobby is lovely and the staff so friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Portside rooms which were very nicely decorated. Beautiful view of the river which you can walk right outside through your sliders. Unfortunately it rained both days of our stay there. The breakfast buffet included with the room was wonderful and all the servers who were college age were so polite, courteous and hard-working. They did not stop and were constantly doing something. They should be commended as well as the people who hired them. We were surprised to find a nice anniversary card and chocolates for our anniversary from the hotel. We recommend that you request an upper level room. We were on the ground level and could hear every time our neighbor upstairs was walking around which he did late at night and very early in the morning. we did not request to have our room changed because we were there only for two nights. Maybe carpets or area rugs should be installed over the nice hardwood floors. A very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Request an upper level if staying in portside.
1  Thank capdmp11

Hello New Jersey Visitor!
Thanks for writing to Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Nonantum Resort. I must agree with your thoughts about our Breakfast Servers. This is an entry level position at The Nonantum and for many of these students it is their first job. They work very hard (very early in the morning - not always easy for a teen!) and their supervisors have done a crackerjack job at training them to be, as you say, "polite courteous and hardworking"!
Best Wishes For A Grand Summer,
Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
#4 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Rhumb Line Resort
Rhumb Line Resort
#6 of 6 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!