“Nice stay”

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Booked at the last minute and found the hotel to be clean and spacious and staff had a great attitude. Got down to breakfast a little late and the staff didn't make a fuss and warned all dinners when they were going to start clearing away.
Room was a little dated but then its a very old hotel in places. Everything worked as it should. The bed was nice and firm and comfortable.
All in all a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Hello Fred:
It is great to hear you had a nice visit with us! I was particularly happy about your remark that even though you were late to breakfast no fuss was made. I like to think the folks who work here realize the importance of customer service and your letter is a lovely example of exactly that!
We are enjoying beautiful warm days and cool crisp nights. The dining room has adopted a fabulous fall menu. Why not came back and check out the autumn leaves someday soon?
Thanks so much for taking time to post this review!
Maine Innkeeper of the Year

Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We just returned from the Nonantum the weekend of 9/15/12. Our stay was phenomenal.Our experience started to be really great as we were greeted by the wonderful host at the chech-in desk. He was beyond helpfull and accomodating. The room we were in was in the portside building with a balcony. This is one of the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen, and very clean. The view is very serene and magical. I loved having a cup of hot tea early in the morning on the balcony while watching the boats go by. We were traveling with our three year old daughter. She really loved the room as well and loved seeing the boats and already asked us to bring her back here. The breakfast was very very good and bountifull. Everything one could ask for. The location of the hotel could not be better. We walked to town from the hotel and did some early Christmas shopping. We love the Nonantum and all its staff, and cannot wait to return. Thank you for a really wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

I was so happy to hear your stay was "phenomenal"! Naturally that is always our goal for each and every guest!
Enjoying an early morning hot drink on our patios has to be one of the nicest way to start a day there is. With a nip of fall in the air, a spot of tea is just the ticket to start another magical day in Kennebunkport!
You may want to consider a return trip next summer with your little girl as our Henry's Club is a huge favorite with the kiddo set. Lots of fun with other children as well as our Activities Staff (who lets face it are just a bunch of kids themselves!) I bet your daughter would have a ball!
Have a wonderful fall!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Lovely old hotel with old fashioned ways. Our room was clean and spacious and overlooking the water. Our room was a bit dated decor wise but I think they are updating. Please put a coffe maker in the room -we were on the 3rd floor and are in our seventies so fetching coffee from the lobby was a problem. While this isn't a priority to some people I think nowadays a coffe and tea tray would be welcome. The breakfast was excellent

Room Tip: If you want a good water view ask for the 2nd floor

Hello Janet:
I really like that you noticed we are an old-fashioned hotel with old fashion ways! Not in an out of date sort of way but in an adherence to the hospitality of yesteryear where our guests are treated as members of our large extended family!
This commitment to outstanding hospitality is what makes us different from other properties. I continue to be amazed how many of our repeat guests ask for certain staff members by name and inquire as to their well being. (and by how members of our staff can remember our guests and their families and their special requests!)
Adding coffee makers as we renovate is very much part of our plans. While we have free coffee and tea in our lobby 24/7, about two thirds of our rooms currently have a coffee and tea maker and in time the others will as well. One of the challenges we face is our 129 year old property does not have as many outlets as many of our customers would like for today's electronic gadgets, hair styling tools and communication devices! Each winter we redo a number of rooms and as we do, we add electrical outlets and then coffee/tea makers.
Thank you again for your splendid remarks!
Sincerely

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We loved our stay at the Nonantum Resort. This was our first visit to Kennebunk. Our room was clean and attractive with our room overlooking the river & boats. We stayed in the main hotel, it was just lovely. The grounds, surrounding area, the atmosphere, felt so romantic. The complimentary breakfast, sitting by the window, looking out over the river was awesome.
We would highly recommend the Nonantum as a place to stay in Kennebunk.

Room Tip: Main building, 3rd floor, overlooking the river.

Hello Carolyn:
I hope you had a wonderful safe trip back to California! It was certainly our pleasure having you here for a visit! We only wish you could have stayed longer!
The third floor views from Portside are very special! Maybe next time you come you should consider the 4th floor of the Inn. While the decor is completely different, the views are even more spectecular!
We hope to host you again soon!
Warm Regards,
Innkeeper

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had such a wonderful time at this beautiful resort. As soon as I arrived I bellman saw me struggling with luggage and helped. My room was nice, the bed was very comfortable, and the bath tub was so clean that I actually took a bath. The breakfast was delish with many different choices. I also loved how to location was right in between downtown Kennebunkport and the beach so I was able to walk to both. This was my first stay there, but I will defintely be there again and stay much longer.

Room Tip: I loved staying on the first floor Portside. I was able to walk right out on to the grounds and par...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Molly D

Hello Molly:
We can't wait to have you come back and see us! Know that our ace team of Bellmen will be at the ready to help you again with your things!
This has been the most beautiful fall ever and our guests have loved sitting by the River reading a book and watching the boats go by. I was just out there snapping a few photos and there were three groups out there all enjoying the lovely autumn day.
Fall also brings some delicious fall items to our breakfast menu (think pumpkin bread pudding and maple scones!) So good!
Thanks so much for the nice sentiments!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was my first stay at this resort and it will not be my last. Arrival to departure provided all that was needed to demonstrate this is a well run establishment, I have stayed at other establishments in the Port but this will become my destination from now on. Our room was comfortable, clean and well appointed with a splendid view. A friendly staff appear dedicated to making your stay a special one. The dining room had a wonderful menu at reasonable prices. I could not have been more pleased,

Room Tip: Our room was in the building immediately adjacent to the main house and had an air conditioning unit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Hello Phyllis:
I want to thank you for your superb review of your recent visit to The Nonantum Resort! Your observation that our staff tries to make each and every stay a special one is entirely correct!
I am sure Chef Steve and the other folks in the kitchen will be delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the dining room. We have a new fall menu that I think is a real winner!
I especially appreciate your last comment "I could not have been more pleased!" That is the goal for all our guests here at The Nonantum and I am so happy we achieved it with you.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I agree with a lot of the points raised by Obeachbum0, lack of proper cleaning, dirty bathtub, and the floodlights over every room.
But worst is the cell phone conversations that are a constant nuisance on the balconies: I know it's not the fault of the Resort but they should have enough sense to post a notice asking the guests to refrain. Obviously, the kind of clientele they attract wouldn't know better.
We visit KPT 10 times a year at least; our second and last visit to the Nonantum.

Room Tip: Bring your earplugs.

Hello Georges:
I am so sorry to hear your visit to The Nonantum was not a happy one. I wish I could say that I have any sort of answer for the challenges you faced. I have no idea what the floodlights are that you are referring to. I also think our housekeeping crew does an outstanding job of keeping things clean and tidy around here. I shall however forward your comments to our Executive Housekeeper so that she can share them with the crew during their daily meeting.
As for guests talking on their cell phones on the porches, I must agree with you that it would be highly inapproriate for us to demand that our guests not talk on their phones when they are outside. Cell phone etiquette is an ever evolving issue in society today and I will certainly continue to monitor industry norms. I feel as an Innkeeper it is beyond my scope of duty to legislate common sense.
I regret I am unable to respond in a way that you would find more satisfying.
Maine Innkeeper of the Year

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
#4 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Rhumb Line Resort
Rhumb Line Resort
#6 of 6 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!