“woundreful week”

Maine Stay Inn and Cottages
Ranked #4 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had a wonderful week in Maine. I heard lots of great music. Even the gray days it was fun to be there took a walk before breakfast which a very tasty. judy waly and Duck are so helpful to me. there is a great place called wells reserven that fun place to learn all kind kinds of lessons about the earth

Room Tip: Cottage #4 has great colors and my nieborough friend good to meet i think we became friend
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 11, 2013

When I found this location I was eagerly awaiting our arrival as we have vacationed in Kennebunkport before and couldn't wait to return. I selected the Maine Stay Inn because of the reviews they had received (quiet, customer oriented etc..) and I wanted a place that wasn't directly in the mix of things as we were arriving for the 4th of July week and new it would be busy.

Upon our arrival we were greeted and they asked if we had decided on a breakfast time (8:30 or 9:30) and they informed us of the gourmet breakfast offered. As we prefer just regular eggs, pancakes, home fries, bacon sausage kind of breakfast we politely declined. At this point things went a little strangely. It was as though we offended them for not wanting their 'gourmet" breakfast. We got through this awkward moment and then they offered to help us find a restaurant for dinner and they had suggested a restaurant that we have had a bad experience at before and requested another recommendation. Again, it seemed we had offended them and Judi, at this point handed us off to her daughter. Another awkward moment but we did find a place for dinner.

After all of this we were shown to our room (#16) and were advised at that time that the bathroom had no sink because of the size of it (very tight) and the sink was in the front room of the suite (wish I had known this before hand) which seemed very odd and causes one to traverse from the bathroom across the front room to wash your hands or do anything else you would do at a bathroom sink.

After a very nice dinner we returned to our room and found that the only TV was in the front room so , relaxing in bed to watch the late show is not an option, so we turned in for the night. It was very quiet all through the night and we were looking forward to just sleeping in late the next day.

To our surprise, if you stay in this room you get to wake to the kitchen staff @ 7:00am slamming drawers and doors so much so that you not only hear it but you feel it in the room. This lasts every day until at least 10:00 or 11:00 am every day (so much for relaxing in our room!!!)

The next day we went to a 4th of July celebration and returned later that evening and went to use the shower and after 5 mins the hot water ran out.... not to good as after 7:00PM at night there is NO staff on hand for anything. there is an emergency number to an answering service which I called and was put in contact with Walter. HE advised me that it was highly unlikely that the hot water ran out as each room is on its own instant heat water system with a 10 gallon reservoir. I agreed it was unlikely but there I was with no hot water. After a begrudging conversation he agreed to come over (20 mins away) and check the system. After his arrival he checked the system, reported it was fine and I again had hot water. At that time I told him I would let him know if I had further problems I would give him he call. What I received back as a response was totally unexpected. He told me "don't call me....there's nothing I can do...) WHAT!?!? I've NEVER heard an owner of a B&B ever tell me that before! All I expected maybe was "well, let me know but I may have to call a plumber in the morning...or something like this" that would have been fine.

So, needless to say, every morning was the same.... no rest, no relaxation, and the final night we were there, a tenant below us was having what must have been a great time for him but not for us as they continued loudly and banging doors until after 2:00 am in the morning. Did I mention that there is NO STAFF ONSITE AFTER 7:00pm? So, we were stuck with the rude individuals until they decided to go to sleep or pass out.

To summarize, if you don't like their gourmet breakfast, don't like their recommendations and expect someone to be responsible for the place, I would skip the Maine Stay Inn as we will and will inform others of the "great" time we had there.

It was literally the worst place I have stayed in all of Maine.......

Room Tip: Not room 16 !!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Archway_Travelers
kportinnkeepers, Owner at Maine Stay Inn and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

There are occasionally times as an innkeeper when you realize that particular guests are dissatisfied the second they set foot in your front door. Before even reaching the front desk, these visitors viewed our breakfast menu and shrieked, "Ewww, that sounds disgusting! I would never eat that!" Yes, I would say that is an uncomfortable way to start. We proudly serve a very elaborate gourmet breakfast, and they explained that they are plain eaters, so I offered to help them find a breakfast place that would suit their needs. They declined. I offered to to help them select a place for dinner within walking distance when they said "Don't even think about suggesting X, Y, and Z because we hate them!" Since I only knew that those places still had open reservations that evening, I asked my daughter to take over, because she knew the status of other restaurants. I certainly wasn't upset in any way that they didn't wish to dine at a particular spot - we all just want each guest to find a place that's right for them!

These guests also reserved their room after viewing it online, where it clearly states that the sink/vanity area is outside the door of the bathroom and includes pictures - and is an often requested feature. It's a very quiet suite, and today's guests in room 16 reported hearing only the chirping of birds. The noise that these visitors reported waking them in the night was, in fact, actually from fireworks and not their neighbors.

As a bed and breakfast, we do not have around the clock staffing nor do any in town, and on the few nights that we don't sleep on site, we're about five minutes away. However, when these guests called to report their water issue, we were asleep and needed to dress before driving in. Upon arriving, Walter tested four sinks and a shower which were all hot before knocking on their door. These guests then refused to open the door or let Walter examine the problem. Unfortunately, you can't call a plumber if they won't be allowed inside the room. However, we did have someone look at their shower the next day, who determined that there was no problem with the heating system or the shower itself. Unfortunately, they never learned of this, as they were not seen or heard from until their departure. This review is especially hurtful, because we are extremely diligent about the care and maintenance of the Maine Stay, and the attentive hospitality we provide.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This beautiful B&B is the perfect way to experience the magic of Kennebunkport. Hosts Judy and Walt make you right at home, feeling more like long lost friends than guests. They are also excellent sources of inside information on the area -- great restaurant tips and more. Our cottage was luxurious and private -- perfect for celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. It featured a whirlpool tub, small kitchenette, and comfortable robes. We could have had our breakfast delivered to our cottage for an intimate breakfast, but we chose to join the other guests in the main house for stimulating conversation in gracious surroundings. The inn is in a quiet neighborhood, but a short and pleasant walk brings you into the center of Kennebunkport with great restaurants, inviting shops, and a pretty walk along the water. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The cottages make a great romantic getaway!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Maine Stay is a beautifully appointed B&B in Kennebunkport, within walking distance of tons of restaurants and shops, and within a short drive of many others. The Innkeepers are lovely, the place is exquisitely clean and attractive, with all the comforts of home and then some. Jetted tubs, fabulous robes, high quality everything in the rooms, along with a little K-cup maker. Cookies and iced tea or coffee in the afternoon, included breakfasts which ranged during our stay from "good" to "very good." I can't imagine anyone not loving it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were refreshingly pleased and surprised with the cleanliness and overall condition of the Maine Stay cottage we stayed in for four days. We personally witnessed the washing and disinfecting of all surfaces in the bathroom and kitchenette. We’ve stayed at many Inns and Hotels over the years and none have matched the attention to keeping rooms spotless every day as we enjoyed at the Maine Stay Inn. Definitely no need to worry.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We didn't plan to stay in Kennebunkport and just happened to drive past The Maine Stay and thought we'd check to see if they had room for a family of 3. What a stroke of luck! Duke and Walt made us feel very welcome and comfortable and went way out of their way to get us situated in one of the cottages for a great price. Then they helped with finding our way around town and Walt and Judi gave us an extensive tour of the historical house in the morning. It was almost like staying with friends you just met! If we ever get back this way again, we will definitely be staying here - I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I had been told that The Maine Stay Inn is the place to stay in Kennebunkport and we discovered how true that is. The Inn is a beautiful place and Walt and Judy are great hosts. They even had champagne and balloons ready to celebrate our 40th anniversary! Our room was very comfortable and we thoroughly enjoyed Judy's breakfast with the company of our fellow travelers. We highly recommend The Maine Stay Inn and hope to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple