“Fantastic”

Maine Stay Inn and Cottages
Ranked #4 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had a truly great time at the Maine Stay Inn.
Judi and the family provided a really welcoming environment, and were more helpful than we could possibly imagine, suggesting (and reserving) some great restaurants for food, and some fun and relaxing activities.
The accommodation was pleasant (we were in cottage number 1), and we enjoyed an afternoon relaxing in the gardens.
We would stay here again next time were in Kennebunk.

John & Gen (Jersey UK)

There are newer reviews for Maine Stay Inn and Cottages

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had a wonderful time staying at your inn. We thought it was a little pricey though. The Inn is very close to everything, so we could leave our car and walk to most everything. The staff was wonderful, very friendly. The owner,Walter was great. He answered all of our questions and gave us several recommendations for restaurants and shops. This was our first time in Maine and we loved it. Can't wait to come back. Kristen and Scott.

Room Tip: The cottages are very nice and private.
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this family owned Inn for three nights in August in the Cottage number three. The cottage was cozy with great king size bed (always appreciate a good mattress) when away from home. Judi, Walter and Johanna could not have been more accomodating for everything we asked for from towels for the beach to extra coffee for the kurig coffee maker that was in our cottage. I loved being able to make our coffee fresh each morning that we enjoyed before breakfast was brought to our room each day in a basket. Breakfast was always fresh with different choices each day that were always homemade and gluten free which I really appreciated (I had asked for this prior to arriving and they more than met the request with very tasty muffins and loaves). The location of the Inn allowed us to walk to town each night and we received excellent restaurant recommendations from Judi and Walter. We also enjoyed sitting in the backyard in the evening before dinner to enjoy a before dinner drink and having opportunity to chat with Judi.

The three days were magical and our stay at the Maine Stay Inn was everything and more we felt so welcomed and "at home" Thank you to Judi Walter and Johanna for making our getaway so memorable! We will be back for sure. Janice and Tim.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the cottages as we stayed in number three and four and found them to be very comfortable...
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this lovely Inn from the minute I walked up the stairs I was made to feel at home.

Walter the owner was very hospitable. We stayed in cottage 10 and it was lovely, we would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I just returned from celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary at the Maine Stay Inn. We loved everything about the place. The inn is a very lovely, exceedingly well kept residence on an elegant, tree lined street a short walk from the art galleries, shops, and restaurants of Kennebunkport. Our room was spotless and filled with antiques and a large bouquet that Judy and her staff had suggested as a surprise for my wife. We loved the scrumptious breakfasts served on the wrap around porch, chatting with other guests, reading on the front porch glider, and relaxing in the large shaded back yard. However, what made the place really special was the people. Judy, Johanna, and Anne all bent over backwards to create wonderful memories for us. Prior to our arrival, they learned our interests by email and made excellent recommendations regarding quiet beaches, art galleries, and fine dining. If they had not made reservations in advance, we would have not been able to eat at the great restaurants we did. Finally, Judy personally rescued our anniversary when she drove to the beach where we were stranded less than an hour before our big anniversary dinner-- my only car keys somewhere in Davey Jones' locker. She then helped arrange the expedited Fed Ex delivery of a spare car key from our home in VT to the inn and drove me back to the beach! At the end of the day, it is the inn-keepers who distinguish a stay at an inn from one at a hotel and the staff of the Maine Stay are second to none.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Maine Stay offers a great location, walking distance to town and about a mile to Kennebunk Beach. I thought it was great that they sent an email a week or so before our arrival asking if we would like assistance with reservations for activities or restaurants, which we took them up on. My husband and I stayed in Cottage #3 for two nights in August. We found it to be spacious but rather dated, especially the kitchenette and bathroom. The ceilings are so low my husband could touch them and the room was fairly dark. It was hot and we needed to run the air conditioner in order to be able to sleep…but it was so incredibly loud (it sounded like an ice maker) that we still weren’t able to sleep. Breakfast was very good one day and mediocre another, but we enjoyed having it on the lovely porch of the main house. I know we stayed during high season, but for the $700 we spent for two nights, I was expecting more. I was especially put off by the envelope left in our room asking us to leave a tip for their workers, who work so hard to make our vacation pleasant. First, hopefully their workers are paid a living wage, and second, asking for a tip is tacky…even for your workers. As another reviewer mentioned, I think the owner may need a vacation from running a vacation spot. I asked her about a flyer posted for an antique auction posted on a bulletin board in the Inn. She snapped that she wouldn’t know, and that she hadn’t even been to the beach in the summer for 5 years, she’s so busy. Um, ok. Does she want to hear about all the sacrifices I made in order to be able to afford a visit to her establishment? I bet not.

6  Thank Judi F
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Let me say, I have never written a review but in this case I must. My husband and I have travelled all over the world and I have never experienced such a mix of good and bad in one place. First ... love the breakfast and that you can have it brought to your room. Very nice. Also, Walt is really great. The room is fine (we stayed in one of the cottages), maybe not phenomenal for the price but I didn't have expectations beyond what we got based on how late we booked and being high season.

What is unacceptable to me is Judi and her demeanor. I had a strange request... could we get a cot for my mother in law to stay in our room. It was a last minute thing, I get that they may not be able to accomodate or may not want to. The issue was Judi's approach which was very adversarial. I called the in, got transferred to an answering service, which according to Judi is because they are so busy. Then I got a very inappropriate reponse from her on how she was so busy, wasn't sure they could fit, potentially against the rules, blah blah. Her bedside manner leaves something to be desired. She could have handled with the same result in a much different way. Then she responded, I don't have time right now, you'll have to call me back. I was dumbfounded. Then she said, well are you going to call me back ? When we got a return call from the Inn, I had my husband talk to Walt. I didn't want to deal with Judi again. On checkout, I thought checkout was at noon. We had housekeeping walk in our room, one knock, walk in, at 10:45, asked if they could come back, then 15 minutes later, Judi arrives. I said can you come back - no I can't was the response. Check out is 11, we have 12 coming and 12 leaving. I;ll take your credit card to scan. When I went to retrieve my credit card, she never acknowledged me or said thanks for staying. Her bedside manner leaves something to be desired. All I can say is this inn leaves a lot to love but Judi needs to change her approach. I sincerely hope she listens to the feedback given on the site, because if you do look at the small number of reviews that are negative, you will see a consistent theme, great place, great location, great breakfast, at times rude owners. That's what it comes down to and I hope she listens, versus being defensive. We got a $50 coupon for another stay today via email. I doubt we will use it. For $350 a night, no one deserves to be treated rudely.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CChipBoston_Ma
kportinnkeepers, Owner at Maine Stay Inn and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Everyone has a bad day now and again, and that doesn't change once you become an innkeeper, but it is particularly distressing when someone chooses to criticize an occasional sharp tone in a forum like this one, instead of bringing it to my attention personally. And while there are very few "rules" here, there is one area where we cannot compromise - safety. In this situation, this guest had asked us repeatedly whether we could put an additional bed in their room. The room they booked has a maximum occupancy of 2, and that is determined by the Fire Marshall. Adding a bed would have obstructed the means of egress, and in the event of an emergency, there would have been no way to enter or exit the room. We could not in good conscience honor their request. Typically, this explanation is accepted, but these particular guests continued to make this request. After being asked several times, I am sure that my tone was not as friendly as it usually is, but I really couldn't knowingly put someone's life in jeopardy. Instead, we found their mother-in-law a room at a nearby establishment in the price range they were looking for.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
#3 of 25 in Kennebunkport
The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel
The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel
#8 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Maine Stay Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!