“Perfect place to stay”

and 1 more site!
The Edgewater Inn
Ranked #13 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Green Heron Inn towards the end of July '12 for four nights - and wish it had been longer. The new owners are improving the property - which appeared in many areas to have been a little neglected over the years. There was little disruption for us considering new flooring was being laid etc.

It seemed to us (and having read one of the recent reviews) that a few longstanding "regulars" are not too much in favour of the changes - shame from what we could see and hear of the future plans - all will be great improvements - some people cannot deal with change to well unfortunately.

Breakfast to us was heaven - a good choice of savoury and well sampled blueberry pancakes. Every day there were specials that were always tempting with excellent flavours.

As far as location is concerned don't expect to "fall out of bed" and every restaurant/coffee shop/attraction to be on the doorstep - most times a walk or drive to Kennebunk is needed - it is just under a mile away and for us the walk was welcome.

When we are in this part of Maine again - the Inn will be our first choice of accommodation and that has got to be the best recommendation!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 49 - overlooked the small lake with semi private deck (shared with one other room...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Scene-set
There are newer reviews for The Edgewater Inn

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had been a regular guest at this inn for the past six years. In fact, I normally block my reservation for the following year as I am checking out, but not this year.

I had been looking forward to the warm greeting by Dan and the luscious choice of either a savory or sweet breakfast prepared by Tony every morning. Not this year.

Sadly, there has been a change of ownership, and while the physical updates to the property are nice, I was not happy to experience and hear of some of the other planned changes.

Instead of being a nice, quiet, relaxing, stress-free place to stay with many familiar faces year after year, plans are to "upscale".

I and many others I am sure prefer it low-key - the way it was. Kennebunkport and the vicinity are already over loaded with "upscale" places to avoid - or vacation at - if that happens to be your thing.

The Green Heron Inn (as I will always refer to it as) fulfilled a hard to find "niche" that the new owners seem bent on destroying, and probably never stopped to realize they held the market on. Now it will become just one more place that only the more "monied class" can afford. One more thing being taken from the simply "middle" class.

There used to be a TV in the living room, with movies to watch if you were feeling like an insomniac and didn't want to disturb others in your own room by turning on the TV. The TV and the movies are both gone.

There used to always be a jigsaw puzzle being worked on the table in there - you could stop and put in a few pieces at your leisure or sit down for a longer session - that's gone, replaced by a CHESS SET of all things! Even if I did play chess, that is a game for 2 people! That room was a social room for guests to sit and have friendly discussions - not anymore! I was there for 5 nights recently and the only people I ever saw in there appeared to be the owner's children, watching movies on a laptop on the floor.

The breakfasts have stopped being a choice of savory or sweet EVERY day. More often than not, they were both some sort of savory dish I had no taste for. To add to that, the new owners intend to open up the dining room to the public for breakfast, and even have a bar and serve dinners to the public as well. There goes the tranquility and sense of HOME I had felt there in the past.

The place simply isn't BIG enough for all of that, and quite frankly there are people that go there expressly FOR peace and relaxation with fellow vacationers staying there - I know I did.

One more thing changed as well - the afternoon treats were still out along with a delicious mint/cucumber water, coffee and tea. Coffee and tea were ALWAYS available prior, but now are removed completely sometime around 6 or so - another disappointment! Oh and I did not like the fact that no one seemed particularly concerned about the front door being left unlocked and sometimes not even completely SHUT at night.

Considering the planned changes I have no doubt that this place has become a vacation spot of my past, In essence ..."they paved paradise and put up a parking lot..."

PS the fact that the inn has no pool or fitness facilities are of little consequence to me - the beaches are the draw and it is a short, scenic walk into town.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms in front are best.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
13  Thank MAH-from-NY
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My wife and I came up for the day to actually book for july 3and 4th then go home but decided to stay for the night because it was such a nice day outside . We were told of this place but a local who Ive been buying Lobster Rolls from for the last 10years , we inquired about vacancy which there was and the new innkeeper was so nice and accommodating we just had to stay. The inn has new owners as we discovered who could not have been more accommodating , clearly giving you that bed and breakfast charm that one looks for. Its in a great location, run by great people with a fantastic breakfast , what more could you ask for - definitely will be back - The OBriens.

Room Tip: ask for the room that faces the river with an area to sit outside , well worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This may be our very favorite place of all. The hosts are warm and accommodating, the rooms are cozy and comfortable and the food is absolutely outstanding. It reminds us of a farm house and sitting on the front porch is very pleasant. It is convenient to the village and walking distance to the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bonnieleeo
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My wife and I recently had a fantastic stay at the Green Heron Inn. Dan (one of the owners) was incredibly hospitable and accommodating, and really made us feel comfortable from the very beginning. Our room was clean and cosy, and had a great view over the water. Breakfast in the morning was particularly superb. All in all, highly recommended for a weekend away!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We hit Kennebunk Port this October for some incredible Maine Fall Foliage!

I chose the Green Heron Inn because it looked very New-England-cute (!) was close to the village, and also close to the coast-line. I wanted to be able to easily go for a beautiful coastal walks.

Dan made the booking process a real delight - he was really friendly and accommodating, and even though they only had availability for one night, Dan readily recommended another hotel for the remainder of our visit.

When we arrived, he gave us a tour of their beautiful inn, and offered three restaurant recommendations - which we took! Coming back after the meal (incredible Maine lobster and delicious wine - mmm!), it was really nice to see that people use the house - guests were reading in the living room - very warm and welcoming.

The bedroom was super cute! Corner windows giving a stunning views of the lake, with herons and little ducks, bridges and trees. It was really special.

As everyone talks about we enjoyed the INCREDIBLE breakfast the next morning - four courses of smoothies, eggs, gourmet pancakes, coffees - fabulous personal service and really enjoyable.

I am docking a mark because we were woken up at 7am to a roaring sound that lasted an hour, and turned out to be the people next door showering. But it was unbelievably loud - not like the normal sound of people showering at home. My boyfriend lost his mind over it, as even with our 25db earplugs you could still hear it. I was well rested, so less angry about it!

Overall, this Inn gives you that wonderful New England getaway experience, it its a perfect base for the beautiful town of Kennebunk Port. We had so many beautiful drives around the surrounding area, through the leafy streets, beautiful clapboard houses, dawson's creek-esque sceenery, and unbelievably good lobster!

TIP: If you're looking for the BEST lobster in Kennebunk port hit the Clam Shack on Western Avenue. Not fancy - just great lobster!

Thanks Dan and Tony!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I was sooooooo excited for my stay at the Green Heron Inn after reading all of the reviews, but I can't say that it lived up to all of the wonderful reviews OR the steep price.

We stayed in the cottage because we thought it would give us extra "living" space to entertain and hang out with the others in our group who were either in rooms at the inn or up the street at the Colony. There was barely room for the three of us to sit and chat let alone have anyone else over! This cottage is TINY TINY TINY. The rooms were fairly comfortable and extremely clean, but that is about all I can say. For the price we paid, I would expect higher quality furnishings (that at least match) and linens. Even in keeping with the country/cottage theme, they could do much better.

Maybe there are people who want to cram into this cottage as is, but if I were the innkeepers, I would consider putting two double beds upstairs and a sofa bed downstairs...but make the downstairs more of a living room. This place was totally claustrophobic.

The breakfasts were lovely and definitely lived up to the reviews here; similarly, the innkeepers and small staff really couldn't have been any nicer or more accommodating.

I guess based on the price and location, I was expecting a whole lot more. I really feel that we overpaid for our stay in the cottage. (And was a little put off by the sign in the room requesting a tip for the housekeeper. At $2,000+ for six nights, I hope the housekeeper is well-compensated.)

Sorry I can't be more positive; I really wanted to love this place but it wasn't for me.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jw92869
greenheron2758, Owner at The Edgewater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

The cottage is a 2-bedroom unit. The downstairs room has a queen size bed and the upstairs has a double and a twin bed. The downstairs room also has a kitchenette. We believe it has all the amenities to make the stay comfortable. Obviously there is not much room to hold more than 3 people in the room, let alone to invite other people! At the price of $325 per night for the whole unit, including breakfast and afternoon treats, we feel that the cottage is competitively priced for the Kennebunkport area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport
Yachtsman Lodge & Marina
Yachtsman Lodge & Marina
#9 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Edgewater Inn? Share your experiences!