All reviewstop floordock squareother guestsbobsuitetvfurnishingsboston
Reviewed July 29, 2015

I found this charming B&B through TripAdvisor and had a very pleasant experience. there are some negatives but it is a place worthy of a stay. The house is very old and interesting. The owner was there waiting for my arrival. I booked the Seavey Suite which I think is the largest room on the premise but all Kennebunkport was pretty much booked. The room had 2 rooms and a private bath. It was very well appointed in tune with the ambiance at the B&B, clean and bed was comfortable (I only slept on one bed). There is no housekeeping unless you ask (and pay) for it, however, there were enough clean towels and even a hair dryer, I advise you bring soap and shampoo. Breakfast is strictly at 9AM. It is basic but I found it was more a social event than a gourmet meal. It was nice to get to know the other guests and chat a little. Location is unbeatable, other friends staying at very fancy hotels, had a rough time moving around without a car while I was very much at a walking distance to key places. Wi Fi is included and you're pretty much by yourself as there are no employees and the owner leaves after breakfast.

On the negative side, it was too expensive. I understand it was one of the few rooms available that weekend but compared to the luxury hotels I visited during my stay, it was a pretty steep tab. I also found myself being bitten by god-knows-what, during nights, although I slept very well. A very quiet street. I would go back there if the price is right compared to the very nice hotels around Kennebunkport. Loved the experience!

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank adragonne
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Host was very pleasant and hospitable. Unbeatable location. Cute, old house. The room had a very awkward set-up, with the bedroom and bathroom on either side of a stair case that is open to the house. Knowles, Jr. "suite" not good for tall people--my 6'1 husband kept bumping his head. Very bare bones, and lack of attention to detail, i.e. no bed skirt, so box spring was exposed. Dirty chairs were covered with fabric swatches. Daily housekeeping was optional and cost an additional fee. Breakfast was mediocre, no choices, you get what you get and you feel compelled to eat it because you are being watched. Everything was cooked in butter/ grease. Maybe this is just because it's Maine, but there were many bugs, mostly spiders, inside the bedroom and bathroom. Would not return despite the great location.

Room Tip: Do not stay in knowles jr suite if you are tall.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed one night- it was clean, comfortable, and in a great location. Breakfast was great, and the owner is really sweet. Not exactly glamorous, but a pretty house with so older charm. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I recently spent three nights at Chetwynd House and had a delightful stay. This place was the first B&B in Kennebunkport (opened in the 1970’s) and has had the same owner-family all that time. We have stayed here in past years, but it has been 12 years since the last time. It continues to be a quintessential New England B&B experience!

Kennebunkport is a great little town to visit and staying at this B&B reminded us of staying at our favorite aunt’s house, but with our own private bathroom! The house was originally built in the 1840’s and it has been very well restored and maintained. The house is decorated with antiques and old style furnishings to give you a homey feeling, yet the bathrooms are convenient with modern fixtures and good water pressure.

Breakfast is a highlight of the stay—it is always cooked hot and fresh, varies from day to day, and is served on china in the dining room at a common table to allow for wonderful conversation among the guests. The house is only steps away from the center of town with its shopping and restaurants (and my wife would also mention it is next door to Carla’s, her favorite women’s dress shop). It has parking on the property so you don’t have to find a parking spot in town during the busy summer.

The B&B was originally opened by Susan, a retired school teacher, and is now run by her son, Bob, a retired military man and hospitality executive. Bob has continued to make this one of our all time favorite B&Bs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SteveABQ
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We tayed or a full week. Location was perect to enable a nice walk to several resturants.

Room was clean and tidy, but simple. Probably nothing seriously changes since the late 70's

Breakfast had a slight variation each day (you could have your eaggs done a different way).

Bob is nice and runs the place with millitary percision.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple