“The BEST getaway!”

Ranked #1 of 26 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Warwick, Rhode Island
“The BEST getaway!”
Reviewed January 12, 2010

The 1802 House is the absolute best place for a getaway! The cozy house is so elegant and the innkeepers are simply wonderful! My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the 1802 House in July of 2008 and knew after our first night there we would come back as often as we could! This past weekend (January 9, 2010) we were able to go back to the 1802 House and once again it was superb! The town and house were still decorated with holiday cheer, the Sebago Suite was simply beautiful, and the three course breakfasts were outstanding to say the least. Our stay would not have been the same without the exceptional hospitality of Jay and Linda, the innkeepers! Their attention to detail and genuine kindness made our trip truly memorable! Thank you so much!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Fairfield, IA
Reviewed January 11, 2010

I'm a mid westerner, originally from New England. On a recent business trip to Maine, I stayed at the 1802 House. I’m a big fan of B&Bs and I’ve stayed in a few here and in Europe, but nothing matched the comfort & hospitality provided by Jay and Linda, except maybe those long-ago visits to my Grandma’s, except the food at the 1802 house is better.

From the moment Jay greeted me at the door, showed me to my incredibly luxurious room, got me last minute reservations at a wonderful restaurant, to the incredible multi-course gourmet breakfast, I was pampered.

Reluctantly back on the road, I felt like I’d uncovered a cozy hidden gem tucked away on the coast of Maine, and spent time with really close friends. I can’t wait to come back with my wife for a visit.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
nj
Reviewed January 2, 2010

It is interesting how we can't write verbal insults since I am writing about receiving verbal insults from our innkeeper. It was a very disappointing gift for our anniversary and a poor way to spend almost a thousand dollars. There are so many better choices in the same area..GO THERE!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
CaberetKennebunkport, Owner at 1802 House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 8, 2010
We're very disappointed to hear about this. All of us at the 1802 House work very hard to make sure our guests have a wonderful experience. We regard our guests highly and make every effort to engage them in conversations laced with helpful information and good humor.
We have no knowledge of any conversation that might have left a guest feeling this way. Any perceived insensitivity was certainly unintentional. Even so, we sincerely apologize for any statement that was misinterpreted.
rockport, ma
Reviewed June 19, 2009

My husband and I spent our 35th wedding anniversary at the 1802 House. As Innkeepers ourselves we admired the beautiful decor and cleanliness of the Inn. The rooms included whirlpool tubs with plush bathrobes, working fireplace, CD player and music, TV, DVD, monogramed wine glasses, bed warmers and chocolates. And in the moring we were treated to a wonderful 3 course breakfast in the warm and inviting dining room. On the day we left we planned to skip breakfast, but Jay had a "breakfast to go" ready for us as we left. The Inn is located on a quiet side street close to town. Jay maped out the sights to see and advised on some great restaurants. As fellow innkeepers we truly appreciate the extra touches and effort involved in making this Inn a wonderful destination.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
Reviewed October 2, 2008

My wife and I spent an anniversary at the 1802 House. The accomodations are very nice, and the breakfast was great. The hosts, Jay and Linda, really make this stay special. They were extremely helpful with suggesting things to do and gave us great dining recommendations. Always were willing to spend time giving us assistance.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Thank St.JohnVirgin
Ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2008

My husband & I celebrated our 10th anniversary in Kennebunkport, ME. After a good deal of research we booked
the 1802 Inn for 3 nights. We were impressed. The rooms were very clean & comfortable & many extra touches (bottled water, chocolates in our room, homemade cookies that Linda made on a daily basis, etc) made our trip extra special. Breakfast was wonderful. Linda & Jay also helped give us information regarding the area & even made reservations for us for dinner one evening. It was a stay we won't soon forget & if we return to the area we will surely stay at the 1802.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Northeast
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We've stayed at this inn before, through 3 previous owners over the years. The most recent previous owners seemed ready to retire and I think that Jay and Linda's stewardship is going to take the place to new heights, and probably prices. There were several changes that Jay and Linda were making. One was that Linda really was trying to use organic food and she catered to our special dietary needs, which is why we usually stay at Inns or B&Bs. Jay wanted to serve fine wines, when possible. As usual, our room was comfortable and warm in the winter. In previous stays in winter, we have snowshoed and cross country skiied on the adjacent golf course. The previous owner/husband knew how to make make snowshoes in his at-home shop. The new owners are quite different. They bring a different, more sophisticated skill set to the inn. Jay is a former marketing executive, and Linda is a gourmet chef. It was a relaxing stay, with a nice dinner one night at On-the-Marsh, a restaurant not to be missed for fine dining.

• Liked — Plans of the new owners, the food, the conversation with others at breakfast.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Grand Hotel
#5 of 26 in Kennebunkport
Maine Stay Inn and Cottages
Maine Stay Inn and Cottages
#4 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to 1802 House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!