“Bugs, hair, and SMELLS LIKE A KENNEL”

Lodge at Turbat's Creek
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
“Bugs, hair, and SMELLS LIKE A KENNEL”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

This is my second and last night here. My room smells like the dirtiest wet dog and it is disgusting. Last night I literally wrapped a clean pair of sweatpants over my face so I could fall asleep. The smell is unbearable. Now, two nights in a row, I have walked into my bathroom and have, so far, killed 4 spiders, 6 of those pincher looking bugs, and multiple other species. There was "other's hair" in my shower, and after I requested my room be thoroughly cleaned...the hairs are still in the bathroom, the room smells worse than an animal shelter, and the only difference is, my bed is now re-made. Not impressed, not worth the $400 for two nights. I thought this was an inexpensive alternative to the nonantum (where I was going to a wedding) but clearly this was a CHEAP alternative and should have spent the extra $100 per night. Extremely disappointed and beyond disgusted. I should have slept in my car.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My friend and I made the decision to give the Lodge at Turbat's Creek a try this year and get away from the hustle and bustle of busy Route 1 and the throngs of tourists who congregate all along the corridor. I was a litle concerned that the lodge was a bit away from everything, but the peace and quiet of its location made it worth the extra drive.
The lodge is very pleasant and clean, the grounds well kept, and the rooms very clean and sporting spacious bathrooms with all the amenities a traveler needs.
And there is Sophie. My friend and I sincerely hope that Sophie's employers know what an asset she is to the success of their lodge. This cheerful, accomodating lady knows customer service inside out, and goes out of her way to provide her guests with the best. She is willing to go the extra mile to make everyone feel as though they've just come home. This kind of front desk persona is almost non existent in the hotel trade, and she is worth her weight and then some in pure gold!
The continental breakfast was quite pleasant, the coffee fresh if not strong enough for my taste, and the cereal choices were excellent. There was fresh fruit and juice, and the ever cheerful Sophie there to make sure the food table was clean, refreshed and looking as though you were the first in line.
This is a very good choice for couples who are looking to get away from the craziness of the main drag of Route 1. Families will fare well here, too. The inground pool is large but a bit dated, concrete and a tiny bit ragged round the edges, but very clean and refreshing. The poolside furniture is quite lovely and comfortable. The grounds are spacious, well groomed and there are tables and chairs to sit at and enjoy the woodland setting. The rooms are well sized and quite clean and don't smell moldy or antiseptic. The bathrooms are quite large, with granite countertops and modern fixtures. The mattresses are not top of the line, but comfy nonetheless and the bedding clean. We were very comfortable and enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend the Lodge at Turbat's Creek to any traveler.
My wish list for the Lodge, as it is for nearly every motel we have ever stayed at, is a bathing suit water extractor which could be situated by an ice machine. This handy little unit resembles a miniature washing machine that spin drys towels and suits so that travelers can wake up to a dry suit instead of a cold, wet article that makes one shudder when one has to put it back on. And that is the only improvement I could come up with for the Lodge at Turbat's Creek.
Thank you, Sophie, for making our stay so enjoyable and home-like. You are really a treasure, and the Lodge at Turbat's Creek shines because of you!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank GallopingGourmand58
ny
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This was a good place for families or couples. The breakfast muffins were good, the staff was friendly and it was nice to be away from the traffic and people in downtown Kennebunkport. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed here with my family for one night and that was more than enough. The place itself is lovely. The grounds are well maintained and it offered a beautiful outdoor place to sit and enjoy some scenery. There is a wide open space where children can run free and be safe which I found wonderful after a long car ride. Sofia at the frond desk was wonderful, kind, helpful and very patient. the first moment I walked into our room I noticed a very foul odor so Sofia quickly volunteered to switch our room, perfect, so I thought. Our second room wasn't a much better deal. when I checked the bedding that evening as we were about to settle in for the night, I pulled down the covers and noticed that the sheet had hair and other foreign objects on them. clearly they had not been changed! I again Sought out Sofia at the front desk and showed her what I discovered. She was very apologetic and helped me change the bedding right on the spot. The rest of the room appeared fine. The bathroom also did not give me the impression that it was spotless. the shower curtain had mold on it and the mat at the bottom of the tub needed scrubbing. Other than that the lodge has potential to be a very quaint place for a good value. THE CLEANING STAFF SHOULD BE FIRED AND REPLACED BY PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO DO THEIR JOB CORRECTLY!
Breakfast was also nice. I had read about the muffins in one of the reviews and how delicious they were. Well they were right! They really are great! Breakfast consisted of cereal, muffins, raisin toast, fruit juice and coffee. It is just enough to satisfy you if you are not expecting a full sit down hot meal that a diner would offer. If that's what you like then you wouldn't be that impressed. Overall, this place has the potential to be much better if it were not for the cleanliness factor. The price was right and it really is quite lovely and simple. there are many other places to stay in the area that are much more pricier and if you are on a tight budget this place is just right. it is only a very short drive to the main shopping and restaurant areas, about a 5 minute drive. the surrounding area is also pretty and a bit more quiet than the busy main street.

Room Tip: Check your bedding to make sure that it has been changed.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The lodge is in an upscale motor lodge design, with rooms on two levels running along one straight line. The rooms are simple but well furnished and decorated. Everything is very clean. The Kennebunk area is beautiful; once off of Route 1, it is not very developed. Good dining with great seafood can be found along country roads. At night, GPS would be helpful. The ocean, downtown Kennybunkport, and Route One are within a five minute drive or less. The Lodge has a heated pool that, while not in a particularly lush setting, provided a pleasant relaxation after an day of touring about. Biking is potentially a pleasant activity but for the fact that the country roads are narrow, have twists and turns, and are sans bike paths. This is not suburbia. One of the best things about the place, and a prime reason why we would return, is Sophie, the onsite manager & jack of all trades, attentive to every request for assistance.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sasin
bethesda
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We travelled as 2 couples and stayed at the Lodge for 2 nights. The lodge is in a beautiful setting and nicely furnished and appointed. Sophie at the desk is helpful, friendly, just terrific! Now for the cons -- you cannot really walk anyplace from the lodge nor is there a shuttle to town. The breakfast while adequate is served in the lobby and there is noplace to sit there. You must take you tray with continental breakfast outside to one of the few tables or to your room. There should be a better breakfast room and a toaster! The coffee was good. The rates here were lower than elsewhere and I believe the cons explain that.

2 Thank paulasween
lodgeatturbatscreek, Manager at Lodge at Turbat's Creek, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
We appreciate your review! We are truly pleased that you found The Lodge At Turbat’s Creek to be beautiful and our staff to be helpful and friendly.
The Lodge is located in a quiet wooded area of Kennebunkport. We are approximately 1.40 miles (or about 5 minutes by car) away from the hustle and bustle of Dock Square. We are also centrally located (approximately 1 mile) to the beautiful ocean coastline.
We do have tables outside the office and plenty of picnic tables on the grounds for our guests taking advantage of our complimentary breakfast!
Thank you for staying with us! We hope that you will stay with us again in the future!
Warmest Regards,
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Recently spent an evening in Kennebunkport, ME and were greeted by a lively and helpful inn keeper in Sophie. From getting us one of the last rollaways available to providing us with quick and easy directions to our dinner spot in town, she was great. Would recommend staying here if in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank shamrock2624
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,586 reviews
Rhumb Line Resort
Rhumb Line Resort
#5 of 5 in Kennebunkport

Been to Lodge at Turbat's Creek? Share your experiences!