“Great view...great service...but a little to much brown sugar.”
Review of David's KPT

David's KPT
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Acclaimed Portland chef, David Turin, opened David's KPT in spring of 2013, offering the creative, contemporary cuisine he's known for. Menu items showcase native Maine ingredients with a tastefully creative flair. Featuring outdoor dining, two vibrant bars and Kennebunkport's only Raw Bar, David's KPT has quickly become a fast favorite of locals and guests alike. David's KPT is open seven days a week for lunch, dinner and happy hour, and does not take reservations.
montreal
“Great view...great service...but a little to much brown sugar.”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Being housed in one of the Kennebunkport Hotels or Inns was for my wife and i a good sign for great service and great food.This dock side resto is beautiful with its fantastic deck overlooking the harbour.We were very lucky to get a water side view on the terrace after only a 20 min wait at the bar.My wife ordered the lobster and chowda combo and i had the chowda and fish and chips.Service is fast,efficient and polite.The bread choice is great served with dunking olive oil.The wine and drink menu is complete with a great choice of wines by the glass.
My wifes lobster was perfectly cooked and my fish and chip plate was huge,the fish being flacky and well fried,not oily at all..the fries perfect.
We could of used more lighting outside at 10 pm it was tough to see our food.Now....the chowda...ok...so i understand the need for new restos to experiment on old classics...and new chefs to put their twists on food...but....the chowder was creamy..well seasoned with thyme..well stocked with clams and potatoes...but why the brown sugar??? It killed the taste for me...to sweet...my wife said the same...thats to bad...keep it simple..
All in all a great dinner at a great place in a great port.

• Visited August 2014
DavidsKPTGM, General Manager at David's KPT, responded to this review, December 9, 2014
Hi Montreal Duke. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your trip to Kennebunkport and your dinner at David's KPT. For anyone who has dined in our restaurant in the summertime, they know that our deck can't be beat for outside dining on the water. It offers the best views in town and coupled with David's delicious food and drink it's a winning combination.

As they say when in Rome, so of course you had to try the lobster. We should probably track how many lobsters we go through in a week sometime, the number would be staggering. It's the perfect chance to try out a Maine steamed lobster, with a serving of chowder and shrimp to start you off. The fish and chips is also a fan favorite and is definitly delicious.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not like the chowder. I assure you that neither David nor his chowder recipe are new. He has been a chef in Maine for close to 20 years and he's been serving that recipe since he opened his first restaurant. Yes, it's a twist on a classic but most people love it. Of course we are never offended when someone says they prefer the more classic recipe, we too have favorites that we prefer in the more traditional manner.

On a last note, since you were here last we've added an awning to our patio with new lighting, so I assure you that seeing your menu and food on our deck won't be a problem next summer.

Can't wait to see you then.

207.967.8225

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
NY
“Absolutely HORRIBLE”
Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

We just finished our dinner at David KPT. The duck was tasteless and the sauce was over salted. My wife had a simple pizza appetizer which tasted God awful. The food was basically inedible. Our server was acted disinterested and distracted. There are too many staff members zigzagging around the dining floor causing a very confusing scene. More of a cafeteria than a restaurant. Avoid this place. My advice is to walk across the street to Hurricanes and order ANYTHING on the menu. Otherwise, take a nice drive to Earth at Hidden Pond, where everything is just perfect.

4 Thank JBO6926
Hi JB06936. As I've said before, we appreciate all reviews, both positive and negative, because it's the only way we continue to improve as a company. It's clear that you did not enjoy your food. I do wish you had let us know while you were here. We'd have been happy to make you a new one, get you something completely different, or as a last resort take your meal off the bill. We want everyone to leave having enjoyed their experience at David's KPT.

I do assure you that in August we do not have too many staff members in our dining room. In the height of the busy season we are serving close to 1,000 people a day and it takes everyone, working as a team to make that happen. I think we have the very best staff in Kennebunkport, and they strive to provide the most professional, courteous service of any restaurant in town. I'm not sure what made you think we are more of a cafeteria than a restaurant. At no time do you help yourself, walking through a line, getting servings of peas and carrots put on your tray. We are a full service restaurant, that offers a wide selection of drinks, fresh delicious food made to order, and friendly table side service. We are definitely NOT a cafeteria.

You are absolutely right that Hurricanes is a great restaurant, as is Earth. But we all have off days including them. So I'd like to think that for some reason we missed the mark the day you were here with your dinner. I do assure you it is not the norm and 99.9999% of our guests leave happy and content. I do hope that you give us another try the next time you are in Kennebunkport.

Wells, Maine
“Great ambience, good food”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I'd heard a lot of hype about David's KPT from other locals who've visited the waterfront eatery since it opened last winter, so I decided to give it a try for lunch with an old friend. We arrived promptly at 11:30 and had no wait for outdoor seating on the deck and were given our choice of sun or shade. We chose shade under a splashy, big blue umbrella. The interior is beautiful, too, also done in shades of blue with lots of glass and light in a contemporary setting…very nice. The waiter was cordial and friendly and gave us lots of time to peruse the menu and catch up. We both enjoyed the fresh Maine peeky toe crabmeat salad and were satisfied with the portions and attractive arrangement of crabmeat on fresh greens, with sprouts, tomatoes, cucumber and thinly-sliced red onions. Nice light dressing made this a perfect meal for those watching their waistlines. We had to ask for bread and weren't disappointed with the warm, buttery rolls that added the right bit of richness to a healthy meal. Also pleased with the guys who parked my car (valet parking is included since the parking is tight in this new, popular spot in Dock Square.) I'll look forward to going back again soon and trying one of the sandwiches, pizzas or entrees. Nice addition to the K'port fine dining scene.

• Visited August 2014
DavidsKPTGM, General Manager at David's KPT, responded to this review, November 29, 2014
Thank you Nancye T for your very kind words. I'm so glad that you found your visit to David's KPT so wonderful. We do have parking attendants during our busier times to help facilitate parking in our very limited lot. They work miracles out there. Our deck is the best place in the port to enjoy lunch or dinner. You'll find that our blue umbrellas have been replaced with a full awning that allows us to cover half for shade and leave the other half for sun. It will also allow us to utilize the deck in the worst of rainstorms.

I'll pass along your compliments on the food to David and his kitchen staff. They work hard to create fresh, delicious menu items that give even the pickiest eater something to choose. And David's garlic knots are known throughout the state and we have people who come just for those.

I do hope the next time you find yourself in Kennebunkport you join us for lunch or dinner.

Thanks,

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“Beautiful spot”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Service was very good. Portions of food were more than enough. We had lunch on deck. Beautiful day and scenery.

Visited June 2014
DavidsKPTGM, General Manager at David's KPT, responded to this review, November 25, 2014
Hi JC4867! I'm so happy to hear that enjoyed your visit to David's KPT in June. We think our deck is the best place to have lunch in the Port. And now we'll even be able to accommodate you even when the weather is less than perfect. We hope that you get the chance to visit us again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful young woman bartender served up great burger”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Friends and I enjoyed a casual meal at the bar facing a nice view of boats on the river. I don't expect much from good view places in vacation towns so maybe that is why I was blown away with the service and the burger. I abstain from alcohol and was so pleased that the young woman tending the bar made suggestions and then hand crafted a refreshing juice drink with local blueberries. Our burgers were cooked to order and all of our special requests were easily met. Having just spent time in Provincetown we were pleasantly surprised by the drink and food prices at David's. For a tourist location with a limited season the prices were very reasonable for the ambiance and quality. They are so customer focused that small blankets were available if the fresh night air turned chilly!

• Visited August 2014
Thank you MegLark289 for the great review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to David's KPT. Our "Front" Bar" is an amazing place to sit and enjoy the view of the Kennebunk River and the boats that come in and out of the port.

It sounds like your bartender took great care of you. We pride ourselves on providing exemplary customer service. Our bartenders are always happy to concoct a drink for you as long as we have the ingredients, with or without alcohol.

I say this often that compared to most tourist locations our menu is priced in such a way as to not take advantage of our summer time friends. We strive to offer quality food, at a fair price with great service. I'm happy that you recognized that.

Our blankets have become such a hit that we doubled our inventory toward the end of the summer. Of course now that we can enclose our deck to block out the chilly Kennebunkport wind in late August and September we may not need them as much.

Hope to see you again soon.