“Tourist Trap - Terrible” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mabel's Lobster Claw

Mabel's Lobster Claw
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a family owned seafood restaurant opened 11:30am to 9pm!
Saco
“Tourist Trap - Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

We ate here this past summer after my daughter's piano recital. We are locals and decided to try it out. What a mistake! The food was very overpriced and the service was terrible. We ordered scallops and baked potatoes. Both of our potatoes were black on the inside. When we pointed it out to our waitress she just ignored us as most of the staff was eating their own lunch. Avoid at all costs. I have no idea how this place ended up on the Food Network. Very disappointing.

Brooklyn, NY
“Tourist Trap Past It's Prime - Not kid friendly and for the price better to go somewhere nice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

I admit up front that my review is somewhat biased as I was actually kicked out of the restaurant with my two children by, I think, Mabel herself. It seems that there were some just-as-loud (and drunk) adults who could not handle one of my kids crying momentarily to get a spoon that was dropped on the floor. After getting kicked out, I was told that the restaurant actually tried to charge us for the meals that we ordered but were never delivered as they kicked us out. Obviously, this customer service is something that needs to be worked on, so please don't believe the other reviews that say this place has a pleasant and helpful attitude. So where does this leave Mabel's? I have been here before, and for the price it just makes sense to go to so many of the other fabulous places in the area for seafood. It is obviously not kid-friendly, so if you want a nice adult night out you might as well go to a fancier place for the same price and higher-quality food. The chowder is good, the salad is horrible, the lobster is average (not even close to Nunan's), and the pie is good for the area but average overall. When they say that the locals go here, the locals also go to Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds, so I would not set yourself up for a great Maine experience at Mabel's, but just another overpriced and overrated seafood restaurant.

Texas
“Don't order lobster!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

$42 for a tough, small "2 pound" lobster?? That is what we paid and we were very disappointed! This place was recommended to us by staff at the place we stayed, and while my scollops were very good, the lobster was the worst my wife said she has ever had. And, not only that - but when it was pointed out to the waitress, her comment was, "Hummm - I had lobster earlier and mine was really good." We thought she might mention it to the manager, but obviously she did not, because when the bill arrived, we were charged full price, and no substitution or alternative was offered. It's really hard for me to recommend a place with the word "Lobster" in the name, when the lobster is not good.

1 Thank TXMS
Gatineau, Canada
“Looking for great soft shell lobster (and more) ? Search no more.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

We had dinner at Mabel's the day before they were closing for the winter months. (Some restaurants in the area close during low season.) The place was busy when we arrived and we were seated at a cozy corner table. The chowder was hot and delicious. So were the swordfish, the soft shell lobster and the crabcakes. For a very good meal at a very good price, try this place. We'll be back.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
New Bern
“Ripoff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

Expensive for what you get. A poor quality meal with no atmosphere. The muffins were soggy, the salad was bad, and the 1 1/4 pound lobster I had was the size of a large shrimp after it was boiled. Unfortunately, the staff at our hotel recommended this place.