“Reliable standby”

Mabel's Lobster Claw
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a family owned seafood restaurant opened 11:30am to 9pm!
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We dined at Mabel's -- a typical Maine coast seafood establishment -- two nights ago (Tuesday evening). It was our 4th visit there, although the first time seated outside (practically on the street). While both indoor and outdoor seating at Mabel's is informal and a bit cramped, the seafood (particularly lobster) is reliably well prepared and we've found the servers quite satisfactory. We and our friends have continued to choose Mabel's among the many local seafood establishments and will probably continue to do so because we've never been disappointed. Make advance reservations in summer!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,339)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Fortunately, we had reservations for dinner, since when we arrived they were full and had a long waiting list for walk-ins. Despite their being very busy, the service was attentive and we never felt rushed. My husband had a dinner (see attached picture) which tasted as good as it looks. My dinner of lobster,scallops, and shrimp was also delicious in a wine/garlic butter sauce. Finally, we shared a piece of blueberry pie w/ice cream which topped off our last dinner in Kennebunkport.

1  Thank stevenreichman
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Friendly, prompt service with fresh, excellent food and many choices even for the foolish people who do not like seafood

1  Thank travelerx5
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We started with the stuffed mushroom caps - excellent flavor, very garlicky but in a great way. It was two medium portabellos, I was expecting smaller mushrooms since it was called caps but they were good with plenty of lobster. We split it as an appetizer. I could not decide between the caps or chowder so I was bad and got both, I was more than pleased, it was up there as one of the best, very thick and rich. We both ordered the whole lobster as we are nearing the end of our lobster heaven. It was good, but I can now tell the difference between a hard shell and a shedder and I prefer the meat of a shedder. The stuffed lobsters were all around and if you like scallops, I think you should get it, I wish I had, but that is something to look forward to on a future trip to Maine, we will be back for sure. Plan ahead and make reservations.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stopped here on our way up the coast looking for a nice fresh seafood meal. My wife had the lobster, and I had swordfish. Both meals were prepared nicely no frills but not lacking taste. The staff was friendly and there when you needed them. It was warm enough to eat on the porch which was nice watching the cars go by. My only complaint would be the bathrooms were dirty, which always puts the question in my mind the question of what does the kitchen look like. Other than this the place was nice.