“Maine location! Bay setting, great interior & seating, good food wine and service”

Hurricane Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Sitting over the Kennebunk River in the Kennebunkport neighborhood of Dock Square. Hurricane Restaurant offers the freshest local seafood,locally grown produce and the finest of prime meats available in the market daily. Our Chef and Pastry Chef write our menus each day based on what is the freshest and finest product. Our wine list offers over 130 plus selections by the bottle with almost 60 available by the glass and has won Wine Spectator awards for over 15 years in a row. Our service is casual with our priorities being complete guest satisfaction. Please join us soon to enjoy our wonderful food and beverages and well as our spectacular water views.
Reviewed July 17, 2009

The restaurant lies on the edge of a small "bay" on the Kennebunkport river as it nears the sea. The interior of the restaurant is welcoming, charming and the tables are well laid out with many having intimate views of the bay. We went at dusk which added to the character as the views changed with the diminishing light. The service was efficient and knowledgeable. The menu and wine choices were good as was the food. All in all a very enjoyable evening and probably value for money.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed July 15, 2009

We come to Kennebunkport every summer and have tried all of the restaurants and Hurricane is the best in town. I rate it Very Good instead of Excellent only because the tables are a little too close together and sometimes when its busy service gets a little slow, but not bad.

Reviewed April 23, 2009

My husband and I visited Hurricane recently and had a marvelous meal there. Do not miss the Ice Cube salad. It was exceptional. In fact, I am going to try to relicate it at home although I am certain it will not be nearly as good. It was such a perfect spot to sit and enjoy watching the water rise with the tide......so peaceful and relaxing. The service was impeccable, there when needed, but not hovering and in the way. I can't wait to return to Kennebunkport and to Hurricane.

Reviewed August 30, 2008

We took a drive up from Ogunquit to have dinner and spend the evening in Kennebunkport (only about 12 miles). We couldn't have picked a better place than Hurricane's. It's right in the center of town with excellent food. Beware that it's a bit more upscale than what you find in Ogunquit or other areas, but we knew this already and wanted to splurge!

I had the stuffed lobster which was enormous! The stuffing was a bit more bready than I would have liked, but the lobster and scallops were SO good that I just ate around the bread for the most part. There was so much tender lobster, why fill up on bread? If I went again, I'd probably get the regular lobster. My fiance had the tenderloin to which he added a lobster tail. Again it excellent, but the only disappointment was in the tiny little lobster tail he was given. It was so small that we at first thought it was a extra large shrimp. Regardless, the rest of the portions were huge and perfect. Even the wait staff was helpful and friendly, offering to split our soup (excellent lobster chowder - more than enough to share) and salad in the kitchen.

Definitely make a reservation if you decide to go, or else you can wait for a table in the bar where the full menu is offered. In the summer, this place fills up fast. Also, great shops to walk before or after dinner. Enjoy!

1  Thank samry19
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Recently went to Hurricane on a dinner date with my husband -- didn't have any reservations and were initially told it would be an hour wait. Much to our surprise, we were seated in the dining room 5 minutes later! (thank you!!) While this part of our evening moved along fast, it did take quite a while to get our food. The waitress was very apologetic but it seemed to be a common theme amongst the other guests. I don't eat seafood, so this restaurant was ideal since they had several choices for non-seafood lovers. I had the chicken (really because it had the orzo "mac n' cheese", couldn't resist!) -- this meal was delicious though a little heavy on the onions. My husband enjoyed the seafood stew but we both commented on the smaller portions for the prices including the appetizers. Overall, the food was very tasty, but somewhat overpriced. The mojitos I had was fantastic though and highly recommended!!