“This place should be illegal!”
Review of Rococo Ice Cream

Rococo Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Kennebunkport
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Rococo Ice Cream is now located just over the bridge in the beautiful, quaint, coastal town of Kennebunk, Maine.
Reviewed August 19, 2021

Ice creams made with habanero, mango, hazelnuts, goat cheese, avacado, etc.? There ought to be a law! We were only there 3 times in 2.5 days.

1  Thank Pat S

Reviewed July 31, 2021 via mobile

Unique flavor combinations that are incredible. Service was friendly and efficient even with our many questions
One of the best ice creams I’ve ever had
Our group had six different flavors including Persian cake, mint, avocado cayenne and chocolate raspberry sorbet (surprisingly my least favorite)

Reviewed July 25, 2021 via mobile

“Holy Ice Cream, Batman - This stuff’s a P•O•W and a W•O•W delight!” What more can I say? Their ice cream ranks among the best I’ve eaten anywhere in the world! Better than gelato in Naples! Yes!! Eat your heart out my little Italian friends. You’ve been surpassed in flavor! We love it (can you tell?)!

Reviewed July 17, 2021 via mobile

Can’t believe all the ratings. Must be because this is a local emotional place. We had 4 different flavors that all tasted the same. Staff was clearly tired of serving. Felt like an assembly line. Ben & Jerry’s with their intense flavors would have been a better choice.

1  Thank Colkwlink
Reviewed July 10, 2021

I was so excited to find this place online while visiting the Kennebunkport area. I love adventurous ice cream flavors and have sampled them in many cities and other countries. Many reviews here with few stars seem to not like unusual flavors or are just appalled at the premium prices. But I'm happy to pay a premium for interesting and good ice cream.

Unfortunately, this wasn't it.

Many reviews mention customer sampling and tasting before a full purchase (even since COVID). There was a sign saying they aren't doing that now for whatever reason. Instead, the sign said, the staff helpfully can describe any flavor for you. (This turns out to be a real problem, for reasons to be discussed soon.)

I don't need someone to describe what "strawberry and basil" tastes like, which is the flavor I chose. I was interested in something adventurous, but wasn't sure if I wanted a whole dish of avocado cayenne, so figured who could go wrong with fresh strawberries -- and basil to boot!

After my visit, I looked up what their website says about this flavor: "Hand-picked off the plant, these Maine-grown strawberries are garnished with a savory hint of basil." That sounds really nice, and if it's what the staff would have told me, I'd still have ordered the ice cream.

Unfortunately, the ice cream was awful. Not mediocre. Actually bad. A recent review said some flavors tasted "freezer burned." That's not quite it, but this ice cream tasted *dry*. Not creamy -- actually dry. I've never had ice cream like it (short of astronaut ice cream, which is even a bit more dry tasting, but not much). I think it was either frozen too slowly or maybe melted a bit and refroze or something to lose the moisture and disrupt the creaminess, but I'm not an expert in ice cream making. (That's what I paid $5 for a small dish to get someone else to do.) I just can't imagine that "dry" ice cream is what anyone wants.

And the flavor description isn't accurate either. The flavor was unbalanced. Rather than fresh strawberry with a "hint" of basil, this was more like basil with a hint of strawberry. That's fine by me (as I like vegetal ice cream flavors) but probably not what most people think or want. The fact that they used real strawberries rather than some sort of flavor extract probably makes it difficult to give a strong strawberry flavor (I imagine), but maybe they could have put some strawberry chunks in to help? If not, maybe a little more sugar to balance the basil flavor? Still, it would be literally bad ice cream with the dry texture anyway.

My companion ordered a dark chocolate that was much better, though still didn't feel very "premium." It had a darker richer chocolate flavor than your average cheap grocery store ice cream, but still lacked in texture and mouthfeel. (Thankfully, not "dry," but not very rich or creamy either.)

At least the chocolate was edible. I ended up throwing 2/3 of the strawberry basil in the trash; it wasn't worth the calories.

If this were "normal" ice cream prices for some random shop, I'd give them 3 stars for effort (averaged among the above average but not great chocolate and the weird, dry strawberry), but when you charge premium prices, you need to have at least a passable, competent product.

And if they had allowed sampling, this may have been alleviated, as I could have tried a spoonful of the strawberry basil and said, "This is weird" and chose something else. (It would also provide feedback to those making the ice cream if nobody actually seems to order a flavor after tasting.) If you're going to experiment, fine, but you need to figure out how to allow customers to decide if your experiments are good. Instead, I sunk nearly $6 (with tax) into a small dish of ice cream that went in the trash.

I've had a lot of premium ice cream from dozens of places over the years that has been impressive and worth several dollars more even for a small dish. Unfortunately, this place wasn't impressive and the consistency appears to be significantly lacking.

1  Thank BobJ271828