“Amazing and Creative Ice Cream”

Rococo Artisan Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Kennebunkport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Portland, Oregon
“Amazing and Creative Ice Cream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I don't normally review ice cream parlors, but Rococo deserves the attention of foodies who happen to be in the Kennebunkport area.

The woman who owns the place and creates all the flavor combinations is a genius (I forgot her name ...sorry). Rich and dense, flavorable, and creative are the words I'll use to describe everything she makes. The day I was there she had about 20 creations, including spiced (cinnamon, herbs, intense vanilla), hot (cayenne), sweet (mix-ins), and fruity (amazing banana and coconut flavors).

The chef/owner is taking risks and IMHO delivering an amazingly high quality, line-up of ice cream confections. If you really like food and are anywhere near Kennebunkport make a beeline to Rococo to sample some of the most innovative, authentic ice cream being made in New England.

New Hampshire
“Unusual Flavors for a Refined Pallet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I played rock-paper-scissors to decide if we'd go to Rococo's or Ben and Jerry's down the street. My boyfriend won and he chose to trip Rococo. They have unusual and "artisan" flavors - like Cranberry Ginger, Chai, and even a Curry flavored ice cream. I was told that the owner makes it herself. After trying 5 different flavors, I settled on Dark Chocolate (the least creative). It was delicious, but I actually think I prefer the more traditional flavors and consistency of ice cream to this gelato-like treat.
There is no place to sit in the shop, so you'll have to grab and go. She offers ice cream in cups or cones.
It was overall pretty good, and maybe I'd go there again if I had a friend with me who wanted a less traditional flavor. For me, I think I'll stick to Ben&Jerry's.

Massachusetts
“Great alternative to the "dime a dozen" ice cream shops in the area.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Wow! Such flavors. Such creativity. Tried goat cheese with chambord and spiced road which was chocolate and marshmallow with cinnamon, cayenne pepper and smoked almonds. A must try!!!

NH
“Not a fan”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Three of us decided to give it a try, just because of the ratings. We were given samples, which is a good idea, since the flavors are so unusual. They said it's ice cream, made in the gelato fashion, but my counterparts called it sticky, gooey, not the consistency of ice cream. I had a sample of chocolate coconut. It was not good enough to consume the calories, and nothing else appealed, so I did not indulge. One had Nutella cranberry, and did not care for it. The other one had the dark chocolate who said it was not as chocolate flavored as the color would indicate. The portions were "gourmet" small, like a gelato would be, and the price was high. Obviously other reviewers like it, but none of us are fans and won't return.

New York City, New York
“Icecream so good you have to PINCH YOURSELF to believe its REAL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

After reading all the reviews for this place I decided to seek out this place this past weekend on my trek up to Maine. Well My GPS sent me all over the place and driving by I could not locate it! Oh well. Then, on a casual stroll through town on Saturday with my dog, he stopped in front of ROCCO'S! But the sign stated they were opening in May! D'OH! Then a woman (aka Icecream Angel) that was inside said that they had a photoshoot earlier in the day and she DID some icecream for sale that day! Well I sampled quite a few (and was amazed at the Sweet Avacado with Cayanne pepper), but settled on the Goat Cheese Blueberry and the Banana Caramel nut flavors. WOW! It really is some of the best ice cream you will ever try hands down. My dog tried to jump and snatch it out of my hands the entire way home!

If you are around the area for the summer, give it a try (After a nice Lobster Roll)!

• Visited April 2013