Our family recently spent 3 nights at both the Breakwater Inn and the Breakwater Hotel. The first thing to realize is that the rooms at the "Hotel" are larger, but less plush. The "Inn's" rooms are plush, but less large. From having seen rooms in both buildings (located about 200 yards apart or so), it seems the Hotel would be a better location for families due to the space of the rooms. The Inn is perfect for a couple looking for a quiet and comfortable stay. The rooms are NOT the same in size, and the advertised sizes can be misleading, but I found that the desk staff knew the insides of the rooms by heart, and were happy to reccommend rooms that fit our needs. Let the staff guide you...they know their stuff.
This is not the kind of place to pamper you and shower you with mints. This is a place devoted to simple comfort. The staff is Outstanding. They seem genuinely proud of their place, and more than willing to provide anything asked for. We forgot to pack beach towels, but the staff provided colorful ones for us to use...and beach chairs to boot! The view from the "water view" rooms is simply breathtaking. The housekeeping is attentive, and intuitive. I found the housekeepers also to be particularly non-intrusive, and are quite warm with the guests.
The Inn and Hotel are located within walking distance of just about anything in Kennebunkport, and have lots of hidden perks. Bicycles were available to ride around town, and though we didn't opt for it, another guest spoke of renting a canoe to get a closer view of the river. It truly is a beautiful area. The Inn room was set in blues and whites. The Hotel room was set in browns and whites. Tv, Fridge, CD player in the room. Again, kids would be much better off in the hotel with the larger rooms, and the pull-out sofa-beds. An Inn room would be waaay too small. Both buildings are fully carpeted, and both are quiet. Both feature HUGE salt-water fishtanks filled with "Nemo-Fish". All sorts of colorful creatures that kept my son entertained for eons. Breakfast at the Striper's was complementary, as were the coffee and organic (!) teas located in the hotel lobby.
In short, I'd reccommend these places to anyone looking for a quiet, simplistic stay in comfort, and with some of the best beach-scenery around.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in the 1880's, The Breakwater Inn & Spa is one of the most historic Kennebunkport hotels and inns with all the modern hotel comforts, located right on the Kennebunk River waterfront. Experience our chic water view inn rooms, cottages or spa rooms as you indulge in exclusive signature spa treatments in our luxury spa complex. Delight in innovative cuisine at Stripers Waterside Restaurant, taking pleasure in the freshest seafood, lobster and shellfish from the New England Maine Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Breakwater Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Breakwater Hotel Kennebunkport
- The Breakwater Inn And Spa Kennebunkport, Maine