Review Highlights

An Excellent, Old School Golf Course

Reviewed May 29, 2018
Joseph L
Pinehurst, North Carolina

All reviews fun golf clubhouse golfing challenging play walter byob putter undulating
Reviewed August 1, 2018

It was lovely that we were able to play with relatively short notice. My husband and I were able to have a weekend getaway without children and he loves golfing but never gets the chance. I try to keep up! We were paired with a lovely couple who are members of the club and who put up with my novice skills. It is a gorgeous course with some tricky greens and rough putts. The people at the clubhouse could not have been nicer. BYOB for the end of your round!

Reviewed May 29, 2018

This course is just fun to play. It is not long at 5,900 yards. But it makes that up with the difficulty of the greens. The greens are old school and very undulating. It is just a fun course to play. The course is maintained perfectly. It is an easy course to walk. The Pro Shop staff is very helpful. This course is pure golf, with very few amenities. There is no restaurant. If you want an enjoyable and fun golf round, make sure you play this Walter Travis designed course.

Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

Historical golf course, interesting to see the pictures in the club house. All about George Bush for sure. Course was challenging, not long, but greens were fast and hilly. Holes are so close together, can't imagine what that is like on a busy day!
No practice range unless you are a member. Easy to walk, but they do have nice carts. Enjoyed playing!

Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

Great golf ... And you may be lucky enough to see one of the Bush's!! A few years back we golfed and "W" was on the course with his SS team. He got out of his cart and welcomed us and chatted. Very gracious former President!!

Club house small and informal but friendly and informative.

Reviewed June 12, 2016

The sun and sea breeze coupled with the views of the river, make this place special for golfers. Challenging greens, lots of water hazards, beautiful fairways and the club house is what a downcast golf course should have.

Reviewed July 12, 2015

Played this course on Saturday. I found it interesting and a challenge.
There is a driveway that runs through the course from the road to the
club house. You have to cross the road while hitting your second shot on
3 or 4 holes. The greens are difficult and the course is very tight.
On many holes you are hitting into a green and there is a tee box right next to it.
Not a course I would go back to any time soon !

Reviewed June 4, 2015 via mobile

If you only have time for one round of golf during your visit to the Kennebunkport area, play here. We had 48 hours of rain before I played, so honestly I didn't expect to have a good time, but I did. The course maintenance folks were cutting fairways, working traps, fertilizing the greens, all the things you would expect to see after several inches of rain fell. (Not once did they fail to stop work so I could "play through." The greens keeper actually apologized for them working on the course while I was golfing.) The greens were impeccable. You could not find a ball mark, other than yours, on the greens. They were smooth and true. The views are very pretty. Being a links course gives it personality by having close fairways, tee boxes by roads, hitting over paved areas etc. I really enjoyed the round. If you need a $10m clubhouse to play golf, don't come here. If you want an excellent golf experience, come here.

1  Thank Rick H
Reviewed May 30, 2015

And you can even pick up some presidential merchandise in the fabulous pro shop. This is a great corse, well worth playing. If its good enough for president bush , it's good enough for you. Great staff, great time.

Reviewed November 12, 2014

A great course which sticks to its original design....Always s pleasure to play; year in and year out..

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I played here several times on my recent holiday in the area. The course is old fashioned, not being overly long and with the fairways set quite close together. However, there are a good number of interesting and challenging holes (with eight hitting over or alongside water), the greens are generally large and testing and the course is in exceptionally good condition. I found the members and staff to be very friendly and enthusiastic. A great course to play on vacation.

2  Thank _Danny_P_186390