“Amazing, incredible resort!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I am so delighted to be able to share my thoughts about my recent visit to the Tides Beach Club this past weekend, I was surprised and overwhelmed with the incredible renovations of this establishment since my last visit 20 years ago when it was The Tides Inn.
I brought my mom with me to celebrate mother's day as Goose Rocks Beach is her favorite beach. We were greeted by Thomas (the host) with a glass of champagne and a smile! Wow, now that's the way to start a weekend:)
We immediately felt relaxed and "at home" when we entered our room which had a comfy sitting area with chairs, couch, table, a super comfortable king bed with wonderful pillows and comforter, and a perfect view of the ocean. We were able to open the window and hear the waves and smell the sea/salt air.
I did not realize, but was delighted to find out that breakfast and afternoon tea were included in the room price. The chef is amazing and we love the food and service so much we ate all our meals there, not needing to travel into town.
The beach access was directly in front of the hotel and we were able to walk the sands or enjoy the beach chairs provided. One afternoon we decided to sit on the porch and rock in the chairs while watching the ocean- our host came out and offered us blankets as it was on the chilly side- so caring.
We will definitely be going back next year and recommend this relaxing resort to anyone who likes peaceful relaxing atmosphere and to be treated like royalty.
Just a few comments though: There is no elevator so it may be difficult for those with mobility issues to access upper levels, and the price was "high", but in my mind it was worth it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank debn906
TBCManager, General Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear debn906:

Thank you for your high praise regarding the renovations to the Inn! The Tides is such a special hotel that is rich in history, style and charm. We are very proud of the changes to the property and feel that it pays homage to the past, while offering a fresh taste of modern times.

Our end goal is to make you feel comfortable and "at home" -- it is rewarding to hear that this was achieved by our gracious staff. I am also happy to know that you enjoyed our restaurant and bar while you were staying with us. Chef John Shaw is one of the most talented chefs I've had the pleasure to work with and his entire team works hard day in and day out to create the best cuisine for our guests, both from the hotel and the public.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Tides Beach Club in the future! If I can assist with anything next season, please do not hesitate to contact me at jgrimes@kennebunkportresortcollection.com.

Wishing you and endless summer,

Justin Grimes

Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the TBC for our babymoon. We were in a unique situation because there was a chance that we would need to leave early or be unable to go because of my pregnancy. From the moment I emailed with Justin (the GM) he put us at ease. He was willing to give us a credit in case we couldn't make it, up until the last minute.

We ended up making it to Maine! The hotel is just beautiful. The decor, the food, the rooms, the beach...it's all just perfect. The porch that looks right at Goose Rocks Beach has the best rocking chairs paired with a delicious breakfast.

The bar is the best (even for virgin cocktails) and everyone that works there always asks you how you're doing and if there's anything you need. Best customer service.

We also had to leave a night early and Justin credited us for that night without question. He was just so awesome to deal with.

If you're looking for the best place to stay in Kennebunkport go to the Tides. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Courtney R

Dear Courtney:

Thank you for sharing such a lovely review from your experience with us at The Tides Beach Club this Spring. I am so happy to know that you were able to enjoy a relaxing babymoon and even more proud to know that I played a role in making you both feel at ease during your time with us. I hope to welcome you back to Kennebunkport in the future, and perhaps to our sister property Hidden Pond, which is perfect for families with children!

Wishing you both well during what I imagine is such an exciting time.

Kind Regards,

Justin Grimes

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Everything was great. The staff is wonderful and helpful. They said we could walk at low tide to a little island and we did. You can see the island from the window. I will never forget the sound of waves. We will be back. We visited during my school fall break.

Room Tip: Get a room with a ocean view and ride a bike around the area.
4  Thank runnerbob9
Eryn L, Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Greetings runnerbob9,

I'm happy to hear you were able to join us for a fun getaway during your school break. We are so fortunate to be in a location that allows our guests to enjoy a piece of Maine's natural beauty. Hikes to Timber Island are a guest favorite, so much so that we offer guided tours during the summer. I hope you are able to join us again for another Maine getaway!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights Oct 14 and 15. and LOVED everything about the Tides. Location was excellent. Staff was friendly and helpful. Ate one night at Hidden Ponds and one night at Tides and both meals were excellent. Cant wait to come back in summer for some beach time. Rates were a little high, but worth it. Hopefully, rates aren't jacked up for a summer trip or maybe there will be some attractive packages.

3  Thank DF_Chicago

Greetings DF_Chicago,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your Fall visit at The Tides. I appreciate your kind words toward our staff and restaurant; everyone works so hard to ensure our guests have the best possible experience. I hope you are able to return during the summer and take advantage of our beach services!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I went to see the fall color and celebrate our 4th anniversary. Never have been to NE before. This is a quaint place with a nice restaurant and bar. The breakfasts in the morning are very good with a big selection. The hotel is pretty far from town, but they have a shuttle. The nice part of their location is that it is quiet. It is across the road from the beach and you can sit on the front porch with some wine and just watch the water. The rooms are cute and comfortable but a little small. The main room has a wonderful fireplace and many little places to just settle in and relax. Love love Kennebunkport. Amazing town.

2  Thank LynneCH

Greetings LynneCH,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for selecting The Tides for your first trip to Kennebunkport and anniversary celebration. The hotel is perfect for couples seeking to relax and enjoy one of Maine's most beautiful beaches. There are few greater things than enjoying a cocktail on the front porch and listening to the ocean. I hope to welcome you back to The Tides the next time you find yourself in Kennebunkport!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were staying at Hidden Pond and took the shuttle to their sister property The Tides Beach Club to spend the day at the beach. I've never experienced so much confusion in my life. We were hungry so we decided to eat lunch in The Tides but it turned out their kitchen was not open yet but the bartender explained we could order food on the beach. That made me scratch my head. I can't order and eat food in the restaurant but I COULD order and eat food on the beach; from the SAME kitchen. Okayyyyyyyy ...

We were setup with chairs by the beach attendant who tells us he has to run in and get us menus. (Why didn't the bartender GIVE US the menus?!?) We waited and waited for the menus and a beach umbrella. After a half-hour of waiting we realized he was the ONLY beach attendant who was servicing all the guests of The Tide. I went in and got menus from the bartender and learned that some of the items on the menu were not available.

Long story short we ended up eating in the bar area when they finally opened and the food was quite good. We had wings, the chowder, french fries, burgers and the local oysters.

I feel I should add that this was shoulder season so I can understand the limited staff BUT there was so much misinformation it ruined our beach day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EowynTravels
Eryn L, Front Office Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Greetings EownTravels,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. Our beach tending service is a favorite among guests in the summer months. Come Fall, Maine’s unpredictable weather can make it a bit of a challenge to anticipate guests’ interest level in this service. During the shoulder season we offer our limited beach lunch menu to our house guests and guests of Hidden Pond on the beach and in our dining room. While I am happy to hear you enjoyed your meal with us, I sincerely apologize that the proper information was not communicated from the beginning. We pride ourselves upon the service we provide to our guests, so I am sorry that your experience was not indicative of this. The next time you find yourself in Goose Rocks Beach, I hope you'll try us again.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

For our 20th wedding anniversary my husband and I decided to visit Maine to eat our weight in lobster. Having no idea about Maine and knowing no one to tell us where to go, we researched the web and settled on Kennebunkport because Conde Nast or some similar publication hailed Hidden Pond and its sister property, The Tides Beach Club as the top two best places to stay in Maine. First, The Tides is an inn and in no way constitutes a hotel. There is no elevator, no true room service, no movie channels, no bathtub, no on site spa or exercise facility and no ice maker in the hallway. The Inn is charming with its white washed and blue beach theme and very clean but it makes for very close quarters with the other guests. We were charged for an "oceanfront" room but the inn isnt even on the ocean. It is across the street. We did get a direct view of the ocean as well as of the street and side parking. Before arriving I checked the website and saw that a rate for $279 was offered for a partial ocean view room. I called to change our room as I didnt feel the $340 I was charged was worth the "view." I was told that the morning manager would get back with me but he never did. The bed and pillows and linens were great. The air conditioning unit which clicks on and off every ten minutes was not great. We also did not enjoy hearing the water whoosh through the pipes when the other guests flushed their toilet. The neighbors yapping dog at 6 am was not good and the fact that the curtains did not cover the shades with the east morning sun made sleeping past 7:30 impossible. We ate fried clams, mussels and lobster rolls and the food was truly delicious...or maybe we were just starving. One afternoon we drove to Hidden Pond to see how "fabulous" it is (according to Martha Stewart) and were not impressed. It is a compound of quaint cottages in a gravel cul de sac. There is a pool, which isnt heated, and a spa where you can get a $2.20 a minute massage in a tree house. They also have a tiny work out room. Not at all worth the money. And it makes me very irritated to see that one reviewer was given and upgraded room and I was refused the same courtesy to down grade.

6  Thank jlh1220
Damien J, General Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Greetings jlh1220,

Let me start off by thanking you for choosing us as the destination to celebrate your 20th wedding anniversary. We pride ourselves in the day to day services we offer all of our guests and do our best to take extra special care of those who choose to celebrate special occasions at our hotel. These special touches, such as the handwritten note and invitation to join us downstairs for complimentary cocktails to start your celebratory weekend, are what sets us apart from the larger, "box" hotels scattered throughout the region.
Built in 1899, our 3 floor hotel may not have an elevator but there is no arguing that we are in fact, an ocean front property. We are situated directly across the street (about 15 feet) from Goose Rocks Beach, one of the most beautiful white sand beaches in all of Maine. The Tides Beach Club oceanfront rooms boast unobstructed views of the Atlantic, Granite Point and Timber Island. Oceanfront corner rooms, such as the one you and your husband stayed in, additionally offer sweeping views of the northern stretch of Goose Rocks Beach. I feel awful that your request to change rooms or negotiate a different price never made it back to me as I would have been happy to discuss other options for the duration of your stay.
I am glad that you enjoyed your meals with us but am confused to your comments regarding our lack of "true room service". If a condensed menu offered only at limited hours constitutes "true room service" than we are in fact, lacking. Every food and beverage item offered in our dining room is available to guests in their rooms. We do not offer specific items for in-room dining, rather we offer all of our items for in-room dining; a feature we were happy to provide to you during your stay. If there were any specific issues with the quality of food or service during your in-room dining experience I will gladly look into them and see how we can exceed expectations in the future.
All 21 of our guest rooms offer double-lined black-out blinds that in conjunction with our decorative drapes provide nearly seamless blocking of the sun's morning rays.
Guests staying at The Tides Beach Club have the privilege of exclusive access to our sister property, Hidden Pond. Situated on 60+ acres of birch forest just a mile from our front door; guests can enjoy daily yoga, a state of the art fitness facility, one-of-a-kind treatments in our Tree Spa treatment rooms (located among the tree tops), the use of 2 heated swimming pools, 2 dining facilities, as well as nightly bonfires. Special activities and classes in mixology, pasta making, gardening and watercolor painting, among others are offered throughout the week to all guests of The Tides Beach Club. This long list of programming offered in addition to our on-site beach tending facilities (complimentary chaise lounges, tables, umbrellas, towels and beach side lunch for our guests) is what sets us apart from your typical New England inn. I am sorry you didn't have the chance to experience our property in the way we urge our guests to and do hope you will give us a second chance. I am happy to discuss specific concerns with you over the phone or in a more private forum at your convenience.

Damien Janowicz
Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
#5 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Nonantum Resort
Nonantum Resort
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Tides Beach Club? Share your experiences!