“Outstanding Kennebunkport Comfort”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We took one of two "suites" which are really large rooms with nice sitting areas. The real bonus is the balcony (one of 2) that looks over the Atlantic with two swell rockers. The inn is a perfect example of a casual, comfortable elegance. Definitely not a budget stop; wonderful staff, real comfort in a surprising setting. A remarkable beach of the softest sand. Responsive help from the front desk to the beach. A surprising treat. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 11, 2012

After a plumbing disaster chased us from our last Inn – they, by the way, treated us very, very well regarding this flood – I found the Tides Beach Club on Orbitz. Being interested in discovering the Maine Beach Area, the pictures looked great online and Orbitz is always a safe bet when trying to book in a hurry.

We were so happy we chose this property. The large “cottage” right on the beach has been converted into an upscale Inn and Restaurant. Upon walking in I thought I was in South Beach. Quiet jazz was playing on the speakers, the staff was welcoming and we loved the decor. The rooms are modest in size, but have comfortable beds and linens, quiet understated and artfully arranged furnishings. The downstairs sitting area is arranged in groupings where you can read, play backgammon – there is a board already set up – or browse the many coffee-table books on display. We played Rummikub for hours.

A European-style breakfast is included in your room charge. Quiche, boiled eggs, cured meats and cheeses augment the traditional cereals, breads and fruits.

The restaurant was packed for dinner, as the food is simply creative and delicious. People not staying on the property pour in the door for a wonderful dinner in beautiful surroundings. A before-or-after drink or bottle of wine while rocking on the front porch was a great way to end the evening.

We’ll be back!

Room Tip: The suites facing the ocean can be a bit beyond budget for some, but well worth it for a splurge.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
MilesHanson, Front Office Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Greetings SidelineObservant and thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Tides Beach Club, we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I very much enjoyed reading your review and the talking points you mentioned;
One of the great things about the Tides Beach Club is our location right on Goose Rocks Beach, one of the premier and pristine beaches in the Kenneunkport area. A key focus of the Tides Beach Club is the décor, lighting and music that create a unique and cool vibe that really gives this turn of the century Inn a light hearted and fun atmosphere.

The rooms, while petite, do offer all the comfort and amenities you’d find in any luxury hotel. Our lobby area is appointed with various comfortable couches and furnishings that offer an array of opportunities for reading, checking emails on your lap top or enjoying a signature cocktail in the evening.

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast offerings, such as the meat and cheese plate, freshly baked Quiches and other baked goodies.

I would like to thank you again for your review and can’t wait to welcome you back to the Tides Beach club in the near future!
Happy Travels!

Miles Hanson

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was our second trip to the Tides. When we checked in we were offered sparkling wine. No one welcomed us back as returning guests. The only hotel personnel that we saw were in the restaurant, cleaning rooms and two people at the desk. We had a wonderful ocean front room with porch. The problem with the room was that for long periods during the evening the lights in the bathroom continually blinked. The toilet also refilled every three minutes 24 hours a day. There was one bath towel, hand towel and washcloth per person. There were nice toiletries in bottles but one piece of soap the size of a quarter. The front desk personnel, who are tucked away, listened to our concerns and did nothing. With so few rooms, no Staff person even acknowledged one as a house guest. Breakfast is not worth the effort. If one is not down at the start (8:00 A.M.) there is hardly any food. We found cold quiche, not much fruit and some muffins (not fresh) and flies since nothing is covered. Due to the popularity of the bar and dining room with locals, parking spaces for guests are limited and sometimes impossible. Driving around hoping someone will leave is not pleasant. For over $700.00 a day, staff should be available and helpful. When there was an event at the hotel such as the Astronomy night or Jazz on the Porch, no notice was put up. Therefore, unless one happened by one would not know of these events. For the price, this should be a five star luxury hotel and it is less than a three star mainly because of indifference on the part of the staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in front with porch are beautiful.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelG5
MilesHanson, Front Office Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

I would first and foremost like to apologize for the lack of sincerity you felt towards your return to the Tides Beach Club. We have made it a priority to make sure those who have stayed with us in the past, feel they are acknowledged as so, I am very regretful that you did not feel as though you were.

I had the pleasure of speaking with you about some of the concerns that you’ve addressed in your review and I would love to help alleviate some of the issues you had.

I apologize if you did not find your room to have enough ample storage for the five nights that you were with us.
You were in one of our beautiful Adler Suites with a gorgeous panoramic ocean view. The room does have a dresser as well as two oversized closets for storage and several hangers. I would like to thank you for bringing the bathroom light and toilet issues to our attention and I will make sure maintenance corrects these problems right away.

I personally wanted to make sure your concerns did not go unheard. We spoke the morning after your first night about the one facial towel and bath towel per person. I then instructed housekeeping to make your room up first and provide you with extra towels and amenities for the rest of your stay. I’m very sorry extra towels were not provided to you during the first night with us, as they are available upon request.

Your concerns about our complimentary continental breakfast do not go unheard as well. We are looking into possible alternatives for the remaining season and into next season.

Parking can be limited not only just in Goose Rocks Beach, but all over Kennebunkport. We do offer parking onsite and make every attempt possible to insure our guests get a spot, sometimes this can be a difficult thing to manage and I’m very sorry you were affected by this.

Our Tides Tips of the Day are posted each morning at the front desk. The “Tips” offer up suggestions of things to do in the area as well as any special events or activities we are hosting for that week. Stargazing would be posted at the desk as well as Sunday afternoon Jazz.

Thank you ever so much for suggestions as we will use them to further improve on our services. I’m truly sorry for any discomfort or unhappiness you experienced during your stay. I would love to discuss these issues further with you either by phone or by email. You can contact me at 207.967.3757 or miles@tidesbeachclubmaine.com

I look forward to hearing from you

Happy Travels!

Miles Hanson

Reviewed September 7, 2012

the Tides bar looks great but is very noisy & the bar staff and waiters were very rude & abnoxious .
After spending alot of money (20 people) we were almost pushed out the door !!
the lighting near the steps in front is poor and could be a tripping hazard.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jennette54
Damien J, General Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Greetings jennette54,

Thank you for visiting our bar and more imoportantly your feedback on your experience. We take great pride in the entire staff at The Tides Beach Club; their great work ethic coupled with their knowledge of the industry and friendliness is a huge part of our success and more often than not highlighted in guest feedback.

Because our bar is on the first floor of this turn of century home, there are a couple guest rooms directly above. In order for our houseguests to get a good night's sleep we call last call at the bar at 11:15 in hopes that the area is emptied by 11:45 or midnight. We realize that this closing time is a bit early for bars downtown and elsewhere in Maine, but we are not a latenight bar...we are hotel in a residential neighborhood with a beautiful lobby and lounge that houseguests and locals alike have come to enjoy nightly. The atmosphere is alive and energetic...until midnight. As I was present on the night your group was at our bar, I vividly remember the guest/staff transactions that occurred. I apologize if anyone on our staff came accross as obnoxious or rude as I was not witness to this behavior, rather, our requests to have your group finish up as we were about to close were met with snyde remarks and a physical assault by someone in your party. We do not tolerate or condone behavior like this from staff or guests. We are constantly trying to make our guests' experiences here as comfortable and memorable as possible.

Thank you for bringing attention to the lighting situation on the front stairs. Since your visit we have installed landscape lighting on the front lawn and on the stairs to prevent this tripping hazard. I am glad to hear that everyone in your party made it home safely after your trip to The Tides Beach Club.

Best,
Damien Janowicz
254 Kings Highway
Goose Rocks Beach
Kennebunkport, Maine 04046

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a mansion turned hotel with average amenities, clean rooms, but a location that makes it quite unique. Sitting right across from Goose Rocks Beach, and having access to some of the other sister properties is an added bonus. Staff are all a little young but appeared courteous. DO NOT RESERVE RM 101, it is loud, right across their kitchen and near the lobby/restaurant that is loud til very late at night. For the price I payed for this room, I was a little disappointed in the amount of noise that was audible at night and during the day

Room Tip: Not the room on the first floor
1  Thank RobK83
MilesHanson, Front Office Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Greetings RobK83,
Thank you for your review of the Tides Beach Club.
I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our great location, as well as access to our sister properties.
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding room 101. Room 101 is our only accessible room and our last sell since it is on the first floor, right down the hallway from the dining room. We make sure all of our guests know during the booking process of the possible noise during the hours the restaurant is open. I’m very sorry that the restaurant was too much of a disturbance for you to enjoy your entire stay.

I would love to welcome you back to the Tides Beach Club for your next trip to Kennebunkport. Feel free to call me directly and I will gladly make sure you get a room more to your liking. 207.967.3757 ext 401

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just had lunch at The Tides Beach Club. I chose the fish and chips which was average at best. The fish was covered in a very thick batter which was a bit greasy. The service was not very good at all. We were seated without menus. After a good 10 minutes someone came and asked if we would like a drink and because we didn't have a menu of any kind we couldn't order a cocktail. The server came back with menus and said she would come back in a few minutes... another 10-15 minutes went by before she returned to our table. Eventually we ordered drinks and food together. The cocktail we chose was the Front Porch Punch... the best part of the lunch by far. At the end of the lunch we took our very strong drinks and sat on the front porch to finish them. This part was lovely. The porch is within a few yards of a beautiful white sandy beach and the ocean breezes were wonderful. I definitely recommend stopping here for a drink, but would hesitate to eat here. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing. Very expensive!

1  Thank Kay S
Damien J, General Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Hello Kay S,

Thank you so much for your recent dining review of The Tides Beach Club restaurant. We take great pride in the food and service we regularly provide to our guests. I apologize if we fell short with your recent visit. Slow service is not the norm in our dining room, in fact, all of our servers have been trained to approach their guests within two minutes of being seated. It is also very disheartening to find out that you were seated by our host without menus. I assure you that these issues are highly uncommon and have been addressed to all staff.
I am pleased that you were able to enjoy your afternoon on our front porch with a "Front Porch Punch" in hand overlooking the beautiful white sands of Goose Rocks Beach. We absolutely love this beautiful neighborhood and feel great joy that we are able to share it with so many wonderful guests; whether they visit us from overseas or from a few houses up the street, we are happy to make your experience in Goose Rocks Beach a memorable one.
Thanks again for the feedback and I do hope you will visit us again soon.
Best,
Damien Janowicz
254 Kings Highway
Goose Rocks Beach
Kennebunkport, Maine 04046

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed at the TBC over Labor day weekend. Even though the food was perfect, room was perfect and views from hotel was perfect....the thing that impressed me the most was the staff. They consistently went out of their way to make sure you were taken care of. What an amazing 40th bday for my wife...thank you TBC!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank slztrav
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
Nonantum Resort
Nonantum Resort
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Tides Beach Club? Share your experiences!